Can you chew too much??

KRYSTIE
on 7/28/11 2:08 am - Clearwater/St. Pete, FL
Just wondering if it's possible to chew TOO much?? 

I portion out what I eat, and count calories to keep my weight on the downslide...  But I'm wondering when this band is actually going to start doing what it's supposed to?? 

Breakfast is always a protein shake.  Usually holds me to about 10am, when I have a serving of nuts.

For my big meal (which is usually lunch) I had a cobb salad...  A thin chicken breast, 1c lettuce, about 1/2c tomato, 1/4c avocado, 1/4c cucumber, 1/2 a boiled egg and about 2T of crumbled bleu cheese.

I feel satisfied, but nowhere near as full as my Dr. is saying I should with this thing.  I would wonder if she remembered to put it in, if it didn't occasionally remind me when my meat is too dry.  (NOT FUN!)  I'm supposed to feel full at about 1/2c of food, but never have. 

Am I chewing too much and it's sliding right through???  Have you been in my shoes? 

tamiissunshine
on 7/28/11 4:01 am - Halsey, OR
I remember someone posted something about this a couple years ago and it made sense to me. If you chew your food until it liquifys, which is what I did at the time, it's really not solid food it's more like liquids which go right through. After hearing that post. I started chewing my food well but not to the point of it liquifying, just enough that it passed easily through the band and I personally could tell the difference. It was like I was staying full longer. Maybe it was a mind game, I don't know, but it worked for me. I say it's worth a shot for you to try.
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

shellqueen
on 7/28/11 4:55 am - New Brighton, MN
If you chew too much it can cause gas. K
Hislady
on 7/28/11 9:37 am - Vancouver, WA
I would try more solid protein especially for breakfast. Also while salad is good it needs to be mostly protein (which yours seems to be), but remember that the lettuce, toms. and cukes tend to be mostly water which isn't very filling. I don't know what your doc considers full but I found that our full is a whole different version after the band. Full to me isn't stuffed like Thanksgiving day, just a satisfied feeling, I could eat more but am satisfied with what I ate. Also remember just because you can doesn't mean you should, measure out your portion and then just eat that. Just make sure you chew enough that you don't get stuck.
LisaCultJam
on 7/29/11 5:01 am
Hi Krystie,  You are one pretty lady. 

Don't fear, You've only had your band a couple of months so you're fairly new to this game and you may not have quite enough restriction yet.  The band can be quirky and all of us have a different experience.

In the first few months after being banded, I started losing weight but I was still pretty wide open.  I'm close to 2 years out and after my last fill I have more restriction now than I've ever had. 

Talk to your surgeon about it.  Only you and your doc know when your restriction is right.
        2011 goal                                  It works if you work it!  

Most Active