insurance scammers

j_j_miller
on 8/3/11 12:22 pm
 Hi, so I havent been around this forum in over a year. But I do have a question. I had my lap band done a year and a half ago in May. I went to the doctors that have all the lap band billboards on every street. I pretty much found out after I had my surgery that they are ONLY interested in getting my money and as much as they can get. I realized after the fact that they are out of network but the lady in the office assured me that they would always settle on any amount my insurance paid to them and never come to me for the difference. I was skepitcal but desperate to get banded so I took her word. I know they are trying to overcharge my insurance but I really didnt care that that was their practice as long as they didnt come after me.. Well here is where my question comes in. Today I got a couple letters in the mail saying my insurance isnt paying for my last couple visits. ( I believe they were for a couple fills and the price they arent paying is in the thousands) So the letter I got basically says I need to obtain a law practice that their office works with. There is no charge to me, and If I obtain the help of this non profit advocacy group called PALG they will not come after me for the balanced owed no matter what the result of the suit is. Has anyone ever dealt with PALG or any situation like this. I am worried that I am signing my life away by agreeing to this. I really dont want to do anything that will mess with my employment. I dont know if they would strictly come after my insurance or because I get insurance thru my job maybe they would cause problems in that respect. I dont know much about this so not sure what other information to give you. but thanks in advance for your responses. Thanks Jennifer

Hislady
on 8/4/11 9:24 am - Vancouver, WA
Sounds like quite a little raquet they have going there. I don't know that I would sign anything without having another attorney check it out first, sounds fishy to me, at least not very ethical.
marypatf
on 8/5/11 3:55 am

Did you have a contract with them in the beginning?

Or was it just a verbal discussion about them not charging you above insurance ?

Have you spoken to your insurance company? usually at the beginning of the process they tell you how many filles they will cover... or time after surgery they will cover...

Someone at the office should have let you know if your insurance was no longer covering...

If I were you, I would call your insurance company to find out why and when they are no longer covering...
Maybe it was a clerical issue...

HW-272, PreOp Diet Start-269, SurgWeight-256,                                               CurrentWeight 189. 

Most Active