Are band problems 2+ years out really that common?

rach2847
on 8/5/11 1:25 am
Thank you. I needed to hear that. I was banded on 3/18/11 and I too have been a little freaked out by the posts on here. I have been re-reading my Bandwagon book and I have followed my surgeon's diet carefully. I have had no problems with my band so far. I am lucky to have a husband and family who are fully supportive. I stepped on the scale today and I am 193. It is amazing...I haven't seen that number in at least 8 years. I have lost 34 lbs since surgery and 46 lbs since I started this journey.
Thanks for posting
Rachael

Phyllis C.
on 8/5/11 12:38 am
Yes, there are a lot of problems, some worse than others.  Since you already have the band.  Take good care of yourself and don't push the fills.  Go very slow with eating and make the best efforts possible to eat healthy.

You may be one of the lucky ones, but if not, don't wait too long to get help and a revision if necessary.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

sesmith
on 8/5/11 1:41 am
 You were banded on my birthday!!!! My band was my 50th birthday present to myself, a $16,000 present as I was self pay. Took out a second on my house, and later rolled it into a new morgage. I may never pay the house off, but no regrets. My friend just had the hardware removed from a hip replacement. She was sick a long time, on antibiotics through a picc line. Some times things happen. And it is no one's fault.   
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 1:53 am
In a word NO. Most are fine at 2 years. As time goes on, the odds of complications grow but there are many folks that do just fine with the band. It's already in there, second guessing never helps!

Enjoy this tool, follow the rules, DON'T LOOK BACK and good luck with your new banded life!
WASaBubbleButt
on 8/5/11 3:18 am - Mexico
Well, according to Allergan website - 88% have complications. :o(

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Nic M
on 8/5/11 8:56 am
I was in a support group of about 3 dozen bandsters. Of those, 3 still have their bands and of those 3, 2 had to have subsequent surgeries.

So, in my experience, yes, around 2 years out, the major problems start up. It's not a guarantee that you'll have problems, but be sure to not ignore them, if you do develop them.

Don't borrow trouble. If you're doing well, stay positive! 

Good luck to you.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

-Mari-
on 8/5/11 12:21 pm
I am almost 3 years out and have had no problems. I believe that bands sound never be too tight, and if it does get too tight, have some fluid taken out. After care is a must. I hope that you do not have any problems. Good luck.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
k-teacher
on 8/5/11 12:50 pm
I am 2 1/2 years out and not any problems. I am not losing like I want to, but that is my fault for snacking too much. I have not had ANYTHING with carbination since the week before my surgery. That is a big NO NO with my surgeon! I lost 50 pounds and have kept it off, something I have never been able to do before.
Tiny Tutu
on 8/7/11 6:46 am - Deep in the heart of, TX
I am 5 years out I got Barrets Esophagus from my lap band. One year ago I did not have it. This year I do. That is pre cancer cells. I have to be checked annually and take. Prilosec 2xday "indefinitely".
Be careful with reflux.

It was not worth it. I unfilled my band 6 months ago. My throat still aches.

I wrote off the horror stories when I researched it. Wish I would not have.
(deactivated member)
on 8/7/11 8:12 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
You're only two weeks post op and you didn't notice all the negative post's about the band....I guess I need to. step up my postings
Most Active