Lots of Questions

Photogirl2011
on 8/9/11 8:35 am - FL
Hello All;
I am having LAPBAND surgery August 19, 2011.. Just days away. I am excited but yet scared. I have had surgery in the past several times, I dont like the feeling of "coming too" after surgery. How was it for those of you who had surgery already?
I started my Preop diet OPTIFAST and WATER, I am starving. How did you do with your preop diet?
When do you start excersicing?
Where do I find Reciepes? How long after surgery did you get to eat fun stuff? I am thinking my Dr wants me to be on a Protien Diet for a year or so, which consist og Eggs, Cheese, and Lean Meat. After four weeks of Liquid diet, than 2 weeks of full liquid diet I think I will be ready to eat lots of eggs and cheese..
Just curious about others experiences.
cristie2000
on 8/9/11 10:50 am
 Good luck on your surgery!  My surgery was my first surgery I have ever had.  I did not mind the "coming to" after surgery.  It was fast for me and I felt very relaxed.  

The preop diet was difficult for me, but very doable.  I was hungry, but kept reminding myself how important it was.  I lost 14 pounds on my diet, which made it a little more exciting for me.

I started walking right after surgery.  I believe it was about a week before I really started walking pretty briskly for exercise.  I started slow and didn't push myself too hard until I felt comfortable.  

There are alot of band friendly recipes out there.  For protein shake and the mushy stage try eggface.com.   It was not bad during these stages after surgery.  I do remember eating mushies and it felt like heaven! LOL

Eating high protein for me after the surgery has not been an issue.  I have never been a true meat eater, but crave it now.  I eat meat and high protein foods at every meal.  I really do not ever have room for any bad carbs, which I love.  If you have any other questions please ask!  This is a great place for support.  I wish you all the luck in the world for your surgery.  I hope you are as happy as I am with my choice.

Cristie
 “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.? ~Theodore Roosevelt

steelerfan1
on 8/9/11 11:20 am
Congrats on the surgery date . It will be here before you know it :o)

I dont like the feeling of "coming too" after surgery. How was it for those of you who had surgery already?

Me personally, I never had any problems coming to . I was a little groggy , but when they wheeled me back to my room I was up and started walking about 15 later and I was fine. I never did have any problems with the surgery .

I started my Preop diet OPTIFAST and WATER, I am starving. How did you do with your preop diet?
I was allowed two shakes a day and bandster dinner. 4 oz of protein, 1/2 cup of veggies.  I will not lie I cheated some nights. I could not sleep with my belling growling so I would drink a big glass of milk before bedtime . That helped me get to sleep .  The first few days are the hardest  it does get a little easier as the week goes by

When do you start exercising?
I was allowed to exercise 6 weeks after surgery hard core exercise like ab work, Zumba .  I could walk as soon as I got out of surgery and trust me the first 7-10 days that is what you want to do. I never sat down the first week. I walked walked and walked.  I think that is why I never had gas pains, shoulder pains or any kind of surgery pain because the walking does help you so much after this surgery :o)

Where do I find Recipes? How long after surgery did you get to eat fun stuff?

I will be very honest with you . I eat all the same things as I did before my surgery but not as much and not as often .   I wanted to still eat all my favorite foods but to learn how to control them foods with moderation and how often I ate them foods.  I didn't get no special recipes when I went back to solid foods , I never fried or cooked in oil before surgery so my cooking habits didn't change at all .  

I still eat my favorites pizza, and yes chips and dip but instead of eating pizza 5 days a week I eat pizza once a month and two slices instead of a whole pizza.  I eat chips and dip but I dont sit down with the bag and eat . I grab me a small bowl and eat some chips and its not all the time . I eat chips once or twice a month .   Usually the week before my period that is when I crave carbs and salt and I have to really watch myself that week lol.

I eat about 4 oz of protein , 1/4 cup of veggies and 1/4 cup of carbs some night.s There are nights that I just eat a whole cup of protein, and then there is other nights I eat 4 oz of protein and 1/2 cup of veggies.  It all depends on what I'm in the mood for .  Like for dinner I had a salad and bbq sparerib and one bite of mashed potatoes and one bite of  green bean casserole.

A vet told me on here when I first started Moderation not Deprivation and I live by that rule 100% all the time. If I want something I eat it , but I dont sit down and make a pig of myself with it like I use to .

I didn't get the band to say I could never eat chips, pizza,  cake, or whatever it is again. I got the band to teach me portion control on foods :o)

When you get your band you need to learn portin control, how often to eat your favorite foods, learn to love exercise,.  Learn the lessons that the band is in us to teach us . If it ever happens and you lose your band which can happen you will have learned the tools to make it.

I am changing every day .  I am getting in better control of my emotional eating,  I am learning to pick this food over that food , Im learning that I can eat my favorite foods and not make a piggy of myself ,  Im learning I wont die if my belly growls a hr or two before dinner  just go grab a healthy snack to tide you over. I have learned I wont die of a little hunger lol.

My doc told me to learn these things dont rely on the band to do all the work because if you do that then you will fail  in the long run .

Good luck to you !!!

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

debbie H.
on 8/9/11 12:08 pm - AR
You have been given such good advice already, I'm just going to say "ditto", because I agree with them 100%. Oh and Good Luck!

Most Active