Are you happy with theband and it's results or do you wish you would of chosen a different...

rebecca110
on 8/14/11 1:39 pm - Milledgeville, GA
I had my band in Jan 2011.  No, I would not make the same choice again.  I didn't do nearly enough research because I do bought into the less invasive, safer line at the meeting I attended.  However, I am in a support group with others and they all had by-pass and are loving it.  None of them have had significant problems and have lost double or more weight than I have in half the time.

The band has a lot of on-going problems to adjust to like the too tight, not tight enough, and now I read a lot about erosion of the stomach etc.
MARIA F.
on 8/14/11 7:09 pm - Athens, GA
On August 14, 2011 at 8:39 PM Pacific Time, rebecca110 wrote:
I had my band in Jan 2011.  No, I would not make the same choice again.  I didn't do nearly enough research because I do bought into the less invasive, safer line at the meeting I attended.  However, I am in a support group with others and they all had by-pass and are loving it.  None of them have had significant problems and have lost double or more weight than I have in half the time.

The band has a lot of on-going problems to adjust to like the too tight, not tight enough, and now I read a lot about erosion of the stomach etc.

Rebecca I agree with u. Way to many on-going problems problems with the band!!! I personally have been through the too loose/too tight band hell! In like 14 mos. I had 16 fills and 4 partial unfills. Never reached restriction/green zone! After all that time and money I just gave up on this POS! :-(

FormerlyFluffy.com

rabid24
on 8/14/11 3:15 pm
At almost 4 years out, no, I am not happy with my band. The sleeve wasn't offered by my surgeon then and I refused to have a RNY.

If you would've asked the same question 3 years ago I would've been singing the praises of the band. I lost 100% of my excess weight! I was 2 pounds under goal at a loss of 133 pounds. I was a band rock star. And then the reflux started....and then my inability to hold any kind of fill at all without constantly throwing up. And little by little my band was unfilled and refilled, no magic number was found. And the weight started coming back on....

So I sit here typing to you now heavier than I have ever been, only now my insurance doesn't want to pay for another surgery. And my surgeon doesn't want to do a revision to a VSG because he's never done one before. And I have never been more depressed in my life.

If anyone can choose a different surgery they should. There is no reason to get lapband anymore when the long term outcomes are not good at all. And you think it's depressing to be fat? There is nothing more depressing than losing your weight, being told how great you look, buying all new clothes in size 6 and 4 and tossing out the fat clothes....only to have it come back on. To see those same people who sang your praises look at you with disgust and pity.

And so here I am...starting over at ground zero and wishing I had only had to lose this weight once.

Revised from band to sleeve on June 6th, 2012. Lost 48 pounds on my own in the 4 months prior to revision. 

MARIA F.
on 8/14/11 7:05 pm - Athens, GA
On August 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM Pacific Time, rabid24 wrote:
At almost 4 years out, no, I am not happy with my band. The sleeve wasn't offered by my surgeon then and I refused to have a RNY.

If you would've asked the same question 3 years ago I would've been singing the praises of the band. I lost 100% of my excess weight! I was 2 pounds under goal at a loss of 133 pounds. I was a band rock star. And then the reflux started....and then my inability to hold any kind of fill at all without constantly throwing up. And little by little my band was unfilled and refilled, no magic number was found. And the weight started coming back on....

So I sit here typing to you now heavier than I have ever been, only now my insurance doesn't want to pay for another surgery. And my surgeon doesn't want to do a revision to a VSG because he's never done one before. And I have never been more depressed in my life.

If anyone can choose a different surgery they should. There is no reason to get lapband anymore when the long term outcomes are not good at all. And you think it's depressing to be fat? There is nothing more depressing than losing your weight, being told how great you look, buying all new clothes in size 6 and 4 and tossing out the fat clothes....only to have it come back on. To see those same people who sang your praises look at you with disgust and pity.

And so here I am...starting over at ground zero and wishing I had only had to lose this weight once.

Find a Dr. that does VSG revisions and file an appeal with your insurance company to cover the revision due to mechanical failure.

Just as u mentioned singing the praises of the band, only to be hit with band reality...........there are many happy band cheerleaders on this forum that could very well end up in your position as well. There are so many on here that judge those of us with failed bands. They need to realize that it could happen to them just like it happened to us!!!

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active