Are you happy with theband and it's results or do you wish you would of chosen a different...

reverie
on 8/11/11 7:25 am
I've lost 115lbs with the band, no fill, and despite my success I wouldn't recommend it. If I could have a do-over I'd have nothing at all; if I had the choice I wouldn't revise either.  But the revision rates with the band are alarming (IMO) and so are the after effects. Either way I'm *hoping* I can avoid issues seeing as how I haven't ever had a fill/unfill. Maybe the less you mess with it the lesser chance of problems? Who knows.

Banded May 10, 2010

Onederland June 12, 2010

SW: 245lbs CW: 131lbs GW: 125ish.

From a size 20 to a size 2! Woo hoo.

-Mari-
on 8/11/11 8:02 am
I am happy with my band and have had no problems, almost 3 years out. I would choose it again. I do think of the band as permanent, at least if I expect to be full on less for my lifetime. Good luck on whatever WLS you choose. Read all you can.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Born Lucky
on 8/11/11 8:51 am
 I'm 5 years out, and in my goal range, so I do feel like my band did what I expected it to do, and I do not regret my decision to get the Band at all.  

*But*, I've had some issues with acid reflux, which may or may not be related to the band.  I honestly can't say that I would choose another surgery if I were doing it today, simply because the only procedure which I would opt for is the VSG, and they *often* have problems with acid reflux (which they say passes after time).  

I don't know that the band not being "permanent" is a good reason to chose it, though.  From what I've read on here, getting one removed ain't so easy.  *But* it is adjustable, and that's the difference.  When I developed an ulcer last winter, the first line of treatment was to remove the saline, and I'm glad I had that option.  If you get pregnant, or develop an illness that requires a different nutrition strategy, you have the option of simply removing the saline.  

From my own *personal* experience, I think the band was overall a winner.  But, I can't help but note that many, many people who were banded around the time that I was have ended up with a revision.  

Best of luck to you!

Tami
 273/150/158
"All things are possible when you find and believe in your own personal strength."
Formerly "TamiFromAL"; 4cc band, unfilled
mary101678
on 8/11/11 9:02 am, edited 8/11/11 9:03 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
My weight loss is so slow, I had thought that I really made a mistake. When I consulted with the nutritionist, I was told that since I am on so few calories right now, the surgery method would not have made much difference at all. I've had to really step up the exercise to see the scale move, and it's a lot of work. So I just look at the band as a tool to help me with a real bona fide diet. There are just no two ways about it.
Good Luck!
Mary

Hislady
on 8/11/11 10:08 am - Vancouver, WA
No I don't wish the band on anyone. It has done nothing for me, I lost 20 lbs with it then the too tight too loose syndrom started. Now 3+ yrs. out I'm right back where I started dieting and a tiny bit of exercise because of other health issues. The band was supposed to tip the scale and help me but alas it did nothing.
MARIA F.
on 8/11/11 10:20 am - Athens, GA

If the band were that great...........there wouldn't be all those ppl getting it removed. Right?! You can find a lot of useful band info on the revision forum. Please read on there.

I got my band in Nov. '09. I was NEVER told before surgery that some ppl NEVER reach restriction! Kind of an important little detail to leave out don't you think??? I have 16 fills in about 14 months. After that I just gave up on wasting more money on it.

I think the reason so many of us got the band was we fell for that "least invasive" B.S. Well the band may be the least invasive and safest during the actual surgery, but with the band all the complication happen AFTER the surgery, so NO..........least invasive it is NOT!

I would not recommend the band to my worst enemy. Do I wish I had gotten a different WLS? You bet I do! I wasted about $15,000 on this POS! :-(

If you really want to know about long term band stats I would suggest you post the same question on the VSG, RNY and DS forum. You'll get a large response on all of those forums since so many previous bandsters have revised to those surgeries after their bands failed.

FormerlyFluffy.com

grannymedic1
on 8/11/11 11:21 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I love my band and am convinced that it was exactly the right wls for me. I knew going in the risks, the hard work, the fussing around, the statistics both good and bad. I weighed all that and decided that I wanted the band. i have lost all my weight, my health is excellent, and I love my new life.

There is no doubt that it does not work for everyone, and that some have complications that are pretty serious. I decided to go for it anyway. However, if for some reason I lost my band I might consider going with a sleeve, since that was considered, as well. I am unsure if I would revise for sure, though I know I would probably gain my weight back with out a tool to help out. There is no way I would consider a malabsorptive surgery for myself but have even recommended them for some people. I have a relative I would love to see get a DS.

0u need to study this for yourself and make the choice that seems to be your best fit. Ask yourself what you can live with for life.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Jamie Z.
on 8/11/11 12:12 pm - MI
I am very happy with my band. Had VSG been covered by my insurance at that time I may have considered it, but odds are I would have gone with the band.

Yes, I would like quicker weight loss, but I am still happy with my results. I have lost almost 70lbs and 69% of my excess weight lost.

Yes, I watch my calories like crazy and exercise, but so should anyone else. The portions in this country are obscene.

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 1:14 pm - IL
 My band is ok.  Would I have the WLS surgery again, YES!  I am a happier and healthier person because of it.  VSG wasn't an option for me at the time, but if I had to make the decision again, I would look into that further.  I say that because I am 2 years out and only half way to goal.  But compared to my mom who had a RNY, I am MUCH better off.  She lost 200 lbs and her marbles.  I am glad that I don't have malabsorbtion issues, that is a big deal.  
Flying with the band is mostly good though, it keeps me in check, even on my crazy food days I won't eat more than 1800 calories, and compared to before I would have had 6,000!  I have found the big difference is... when I diet, it's easier.  When I'm not dieting, I don't regain like I used to.  I've maintained my weight without being on a super diet for a year and a half.  THAT IS HUGE for a serial dieter.  I used to always lose on some crazy diet, only to gain more when I went off of it.  

Keep in mind, you are forever changed once you've had WLS, no matter which one you choose.  Your lifestyle will be dictated by the option that you choose, so choose wisely.  Know what the post care expectations and limitations are, and if you are ok with that then do what feels right.  You can't predict complications for any surgery and chances are, if you are looking into WLS you already have health problems so not choosing one can be worse than taking a risk by getting one.  

By far I wish I had better aftercare and better follow up, support system.  Around here, I see that a lot.  My mom has zero post care due to self pay and several other reasons.  You have to map out your post care and have a support system in place BEFORE you proceed.  Good luck!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/11 1:33 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA

I was banded with my first band on June 19Th 2006. This band caused me to vomit multiple times per week, and suffer from severe esophageal reflux every night when I went to sleep.
I had to sleep in an up right position....Yet still I would awake with a mouthful of burning acid.

The acid was so hot that it actually burned the back of my throat and that lasted for a few days. My PCP had me on a PPI and even that did not stop the acid. There were many times I was unable to swallow my own saliva and/or swallow water. Even unfilled I suffered from the acid reflux and band tightening.

I experienced left shoulder pain from day one and it never went fully away. I listened to those on the Lap Band forum with their well meaning advice telling me it, " was just gas " or that I was eating too fast, or not chewing my food well enough. I followed their advice and still I kept experiencing esophageal reflux every night.

Left shoulder pain can be considered normal under certain cir****tances. For example :
After abdominal surgery ( WLS ) you will experience trapped gas in your shoulders, but that gas usually dissipates within a week or two MAX.

The only reason someone with a band would experience left shoulder pain months/years after surgery is because they are experiencing diaphragmatic pain. The diaphragm cannot feel pain and refers the pain to the left, right, and sometimes both shoulders, as well as the chest and neck.

This pain can be confused with cardiac symptoms and anxiety attacks. Your left shoulder, arm, back,throat,neck and/or chest will hurt like you are experiencing a heart attack.

If the band is not removed in a timely manner the damage to your diaphragm may become permanent.

My daughter who was banded the same day as myself had to have her first band removed for the same exact reasons I had to have mine removed.

Our bands had slipped.

I was banded with my second band in December of 2008. This was an unplanned emergency surgery, so I was not prepared to revise to another surgery without being fully informed. I regretfully chose to have a second band placed, as well as my daughter.

At this point I had loss 70 lbs the hard way. From 2008 to the time of my second revision. I was still able to maintain my 70 lbs loss. This was not because of my band. It was because I was determined to not gain any of my pre-op weight back. I had been through enough and I wasn't going to allow myself to gain any of that weight back.

I experienced even more left shoulder, back pain, and now was experiencing a whole new set of problems.  Esophageal Motility Disorder & Dysphagia.

"The esophagus functions solely to deliver food from the mouth to the stomach where the process of digestion can begin. Efficient transport by the esophagus requires a coordinated, sequential motility pattern that propels food from above and clears acid and bile reflux from below. Disruption of this highly integrated muscular motion limits delivery of food and fluid, as well as causes a bothersome sense of dysphagia and chest pain"

I woke up with my air passage fully obstructed one night. I tried very hard not to panic and ran across my room to the bathroom where I was able to bend over the toilet while using both fists to press in on my stomach. I was able to successfully dislodge the object from my air way. I could have died right then and there.

I knew my problems with the band were becoming worse, so I had to do something about it. I called my surgeon and was able to get in that very day. I was directly admitted to the hospital where I stayed for six days. They removed my lap band and performed a VSG on me.

My band had slipped again.

There are many who have been programmed into thinking by the makers of the Lap Band, Realize Band, and The O band that the band is " Minimally Invasive & Reversible " That is complete brain washing and anyone who chooses to go forward with having a band implanted for these reasons, needs to research more because as you can see just by mine and my daughters experience alone.
That our surgeries combined total altogether SIX ' Minimally Invasive " surgeries.

My band was not reversible....it was removable,
but not until it had eroded, slipped, and caused severe nerve and thoracic pain which just may end up being permanent damage.

Only time will tell........

P.S. All of my test prior to my hospital stay came back normal, They always said that the band was in the correct position and that there was no slippage....Once they got in there it was slipped and eroded.
Most Active