Its been 2 weeks since last fill, ive gained 5 pounds

jules777
on 8/22/11 6:22 am - CA
Here is an update on my progress since my last fill. I just weighed myself and so far I have gained 5 pounds. My band can hold 11cc's and currently I have 8.8ccs in my band. My last fill appointment on 8/6 my doctor put in 1.8ccs and I noticed that I feel less restriction then I did before the appointment. I have gained 5 pounds in 2 weeks, it has been said that it takes at least 2 weeks before a fill kicks in, my question is how long should I wait until I know if I need to wait until the fill kicks in? I am worried it might not be the fill but that there is a leak somewhere. I called him and he wants me to go so he can check it out, I am assuming that he wants to see exactly how much is in the band, I am a self payer and I have to travel quite far to go get checked. I will take a day off to go if I have to, I just want to know what is going on with my band... Is it possible that it wasnt placed correctly and that's why I am having so much trouble with the wieght loss?

Jean M.
on 8/22/11 6:54 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Have you been weighing, measuring, and logging your food so that you can show your surgeon that your food intake has increased since your last fill, resulting in the weight gain? If not, could something else be going on that affects your weight, like hormonal changes, medication, etc.?

Yes, it's possible that your band wasn't placed "correctly", but it'd have to be far, far out of place for it to cause you to gain weight. It's also possible that your surgeon fitted you with an inappropriate size of band, but I think it's a bit soon to be judging that. I think it's far more likely that something's off with your fill level, such as:

> the last fill went into your abdomen, not your port
> your band, or more likely, your port or tubing has a leak (due to kinking, damage, or manufacturing defect)
> your surgeon's records about your band size and fill amounts are incorrect

Anyway, it's definitely worth taking a trip to see the surgeon so he can withdraw and measure all the fill and determine what to do next.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active