Question

SpikyP L.
on 8/23/11 2:21 am - NM
Hello.  I am two weeks out of surgery today.  My band had to be opened at the emergency room 5 days after surgery.  Then 3 days later, drained again for a total of 4.5 cc taken out, and wide open right now.  I had bad nausea and cramping.  Doing much better now.  I was on clear liquids till last Thursday, then started full liquids.  I had my first solid meal which consisted of 2 scrambled eggs and cheeze which I didn't finish.  About 2 hours after I got a pain, right under my breast, in the middle, I guess where my stomach pouch is.  Not too bad, but a pain.  Lasted until after I fell asleep on Sunday.  Then yesterday, I had a protein shake around 5:30-6, then went home and had a little, 1/3 cup of potatoe soup with a little turkey meat in it.  Again, after about 1 hour, I got the same pain, that lasted until after I fell asleep.  I am thinking it is too much food?  I don't know what too much food is yet. Again, today makes two weeks after surgery.  Has anyone every had a pain like that and if so, when did it go away.  I am only drinking a shake for breakfast around 12-1, and a shake around 5-6, 2 oz yogurt around 3, and dinner soft eggs and last night potatoe soup.  It doesn't seem like too much, but I don't know yet.  Thanks.
Thundergrrrl
on 8/23/11 3:27 am
Sorry to hear you're having trouble, and this may not be helpful at all, but why did you have 4.5 CC in your band 2 weeks after surgery? 

I know some surgeon's "pre-load" a little fluid but I have never heard of that much.

I have 4.75 CCs in my band 18 months after surgery and I cannot imagine being this filled while recovering and just learning how to live with the band (it would have been a nightmare.) 

So, my best advice to you is to not get any more fluid added for 4-6 weeks and just keep focusing on healing and learning the new way of eating.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

SpikyP L.
on 8/23/11 3:45 am - NM
I don't know why the doctor put that much in, I was in terrible pain, my chest was hurting soo bad, spasms I guess, as soon as they released the 2cc on the second visit to the doctor (after the 1st emergency room visit where they took the first 2.5ccs) I felt much better.  The nurse said we will wait 4 more weeks before a fill.  I do plan on only letting them fill maybe only 1.5 or 1.75 ccs, I never want to feel the way I did at the beginning.  Thanks, though, I thought this was normal, I guess it wasn't normal to get that much in.  Pat
Lisa O.
on 8/23/11 4:51 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Uh, are you sure you were cleared to eat solids?  The pain you are having is probably from advancing your diet to quickly which can be VERY dangerous!  Usually at week 2 you would be on mushies or pureed foods, no solids like turkey or eggs.

I would check with your surgeon to make sure you aren't advancing your diet too soon.  There's a lot of healing going on internally and it's important to take care.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

SpikyP L.
on 8/23/11 5:00 am - NM
Thanks for the response.  I am thinking what you are pointing out to me. I have a list and eggs are on that list as mushie foods, but the potatoes were very soft, like soup and the turkey was very minimal, mostly for flavor, but I agree, I think I started too soon.  I will not have anything else but full liquids, yogurt, soup the rest of the week. Thanks again.  Pat
Hislady
on 8/23/11 9:16 am - Vancouver, WA
Pain under the right breast can also be gall bladder issues, but more than likely it's too much too fast. Our little tummies are still very tender at this stage.
Most Active