lapband for constant travelers!

valwardCA
on 8/30/11 2:00 am
HI - i am scheduled for lapband surgery in October.  Biggest concern is that I have to travel several days each week for my job so on planes and in hotels.  I haven't been to dietician appt yet.  concerned how I will manage for food and how to best make arrangements!  any ideas or hints?
PurplHaze
on 8/30/11 2:34 am
Hi there;

I travel a lot too - mostly longer trips once or twice a month and often international. Since being banded I have had two trips. No problems with flying, take protein bars with you for snacks and I pack instant oatmeal packages and unflavored protein powder for breakfast - easy to mix in  your room if they have a kettle.

I will admit though it is hard - I don't know if you have to travel during hte liquids or mushie stages - that would be a lot more challenging. I didn't travel but did have offsite meetings with lunch provided during the liquids stage and got them to provide me with cream soup instead of whatever the others were eating.

Other suggestions included taking or buying while you are away, premade protein shakes such as Atkins or Muscle Milk for breakfast and snacks, packing protein bars and small bags of nuts/seeds for snacks. It is hardest when you don't have restriction yet as the restaurant portions are of course huge and it is easy to get carried away. In general order off the appetizer menu, pick protein based meals (fish is often the best as it is easiest to chew and least likely to get stuck, avoid the bread basket. One of my favorites is to order a tomato and buffalo mozzeralla salad and have then add a chicken breast to it.   Don't order soup unless you are on liquids - it just slides right through and doesn't fill you up.  If you know the restaurant you are going to look up the menu ahead of time and select something when you have lots of time to consider so you don't make a rash decision.  If you are in a hotel with a buffet breakfast - avoid it. When faced with this I order 1 0r 2 eggs and a toasted English muffin, with a bowl of berries - sometimes the waiters will give you a hard time as it often costs more than hte buffet and it is more work for them. Stick to your guns!

Finally - if you do have some restriction, you need to be prepared to 'first bite syndrome'. If you are too hungy when you sit down and don't remember to cut your first bites really small and chew well you run the risk of getting stuck. It is hard in elegantly excuse yourself once the meal has arrived and often leads to at least questioning looks if not outright questions!   I order ho****er with lemon for a drink to start and then don't have anything else to drink throughout. The hardest for me is not having the after dinner coffee or latte since it doesn't allow you to follow the no drinking for 30-60 minutes after you eat rule!

I don't know about you but the frequent travel and eating out are big contributors to my needing WLS in the fist place so it takes a great deal of effort and conscious thought to change the eating patterns. And it is not like at home where you have a choice of whether or not you go out to dinner.

If you have an iPhone or iPad there is a great app called "400 calorie meals" that gives you some decent choices if you are stuck at fast food restaurants.

Sorry - this was a bit rambly but I hope there are some things in here that will help. My next work trip is to Vegas - the land of buffets!
valwardCA
on 8/30/11 2:50 am
thank you so much for the info and tips!!!!  I cannot tell you how much it is appreciated!
PurplHaze
on 8/30/11 3:01 am
You are most welcome. I am still just over 2 months out and constantly learning but you will get great tips from this site. Congrats on having the surgery scheduled and keep in touch.
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 12:05 pm - Califreakinfornia , CA
There is no such thing as " 'first bite syndrome'. "  and you are perpetuating another bandster myth.

What is esophageal spasm?

Esophageal spasms are irregular, uncoordinated, and sometimes powerful contractions of the esophagus, the tube that carries food from the mouth to the stomach. Normally, contractions of the esophagus are coordinated, moving the food through the esophagus camera and into the stomach.

There are two main types of esophageal spasm:

• Diffuse esophageal spasm. This type of spasm is an irregular, uncoordinated squeezing of the muscles of the esophagus. This can prevent food from reaching the stomach, leaving it stuck in the esophagus.
  • THIS IS IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND because many banded people think that their food is stuck due to not chewing well or they think they ate too fast.
  •  
  • Nutcracker esophagus. This type of spasm squeezes the esophagus in a coordinated way, the same way food is moved down the esophagus normally. But the squeezing is very strong. These contractions move food through the esophagus but can cause severe pain.
  • Again, this is often explained away by band surgeons and banded patients as eating to fast and/or not chewing well enough.

You can have both types of esophageal spasm.

jacreasy
on 8/31/11 5:14 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 I havent done lap band yet but wanted to know if you knew anyone who has a android that has an app similer to the 400 calorie meals?? Looking to do lap band next march or april due to ins process :(  That was all good info....

Thanks Jennifer  
j_j_miller
on 8/30/11 7:09 am
I as well travel for work too. I work on the railroad and am in a hotel up to 3 nights a week on a busy week. But in my case I am only in the hotel on night at a time. Which makes it easier that I only have to bring enough food for the one night/day. I also stay in the same two hotels, depending on which location I go to. Which for me means I know how to take the light rail to a supermarket and know what restaurants are in the area. Aside from the frozen yogurt shop across from the hotel I dont eat out much. Cheaper and better choices if I bring my own stuff. But I did go online to look up nutritional info on the restaurants in the area. It was suprising how much I learned. One of my favorite places I ordered the lettuce wraps, assuming it was a good choice. It was well over 1,000 calories. Where at the same place a cup of clam chowder was only 190. I would have never thought if I didnt look it up. I actually find the days I work are the easier days for me to stick to my diet. I find that I only have what food I packed. Unlike when I am at home I have fridge full of stuff or a car to take me to my favorite places to eat. I usually pack a chicken salad and I bought little disposable containers for the dressing ect. so it all stays seperate. I also pack alot of fruit, grapes, bannanas, watermelon ect.... I wish I packed veggies but honestly I havent. I also pack a couple slices of cheese and almonds. Tuna is also a good idea. I also always have extra packets of oatmeal, luna bars, protein bars ect just in case my train breaks down and I am gone longer than expected.  Also protein drinks would be really easy while you are newly banded. It just takes some adjusting, but honestly I find the days I work are my easier days diet wise. Good luck I will also be following this thread for my ideas for myself. Jen
Kate -True Brit
on 8/30/11 7:44 am - UK

I started business meetings over meals as soon as I came off the post- op diet. People probably think i am a very faddy eater! But I have never attended any meal or meeting at which there was not something I could eat.

Travel is no problem. Since we got together my band and I have flown, literally, round the world twice and made numerous other long and short haul lights. Together we have trekked into African deserts, eaten unknown foods cooked over camp fires, climbed mountains, rolled down colossal sand dunez, ski-ed, camped in rain forests, scrambled over glaciers.

Take care and with any luck your life will no more complicated than it is now. But a warning, if you get stressed about things, many people find stress makes the band feel tighter!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/11 8:04 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Bad idea getting banded when you have to travel for a living.
PurplHaze
on 8/30/11 10:43 am
Can you elaborate? I don't see why it is a bad idea. And people like Kate have shown it can work.
Most Active