multiple adjustments and still having things get caught in my band

Shelley Malskis
on 9/12/11 1:33 am - NY
I had it tightened because I was at a plateau, then loosened cause everthing was getting caught, then had my Dr refill to the half way point, still kinda stuck at the same general weight.  I have issues getting in enough protein, I have had problems with getting very light headed and almost passing out, am thinking about scheduling another appointment.  I noticed that things get caught a lot mor frequently when I'm stressed, anyone else?

Jean M.
on 9/12/11 3:08 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Stress definitely makes my band feel tighter.

It sounds like you and your surgeon are struggling to find an optimal fill level for you. If you're practicing good band eating skills and still having eating problems, you need to go back to the doctor. And if you're lightheaded because you haven't been eating enough, you need to do protein shakes and plenty of liquids until you can get in to see the doc.

Hope you feel better soon!
Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Lisa O.
on 9/12/11 3:16 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Stress can affect the band but that's a reality of life that you will learn to deal with.  If you think the amount of fill is o.k. then you may need to just slow down, chew even more and make sure you are not trying to eat things that your band simply won't tolerate.  I've had to give up certain foods that simply do not work, but it's worth it to me!

If you're not getting in enough protein then you need to add protein shakes or unflavored protein powder to other foods.  It's so critical to your energy level, hair health and fullness that you can't skip the protein. 

If you're stuck at the same weight for longer than a few weeks then it's simple.  You are not creating enough of a deficit between calories in and calories burned.  Go back to logging your daily food choices and see where you're lacking or if your calories have crept up.  You have 2 choices:  1.  Cut your calories if they are too high  2.  Exercise more to burn the excess calories.

Give up the foods that consistently cause you trouble.  For me it's bread, pasta and certain fruits and veggies that have very fibrous skins or stalks, etc.

If you can't eat hardly any types of real food then you are probably too tight.  Also consider that you might have first bite syndrome and that you're not acutally getting stuck but you need to chew well and slow down enough for that first bite to clear the esophagus.  I also will drink a warm beverage before meals if I feel tight.  It does help.

Hang in there and keep at it!  Never give up!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Shelley Malskis
on 9/12/11 6:33 am - NY
I noticed that I am having more problems with veggies, I like them for a snack, but they have been giving me trouble, like peppers, tomatoes, onions, the skins.  I live in apple country and really like to snack on apples but those have been an issue lately.  Even when I peel them, meat is also an issue.  Some days everything goes down great, but others, everything gets stuck and I vomit it back up. I'm going to have to schedule a visit with my Dr.  Thanks for your help.
MARIA F.
on 9/12/11 6:02 pm - Athens, GA

The band does NOT work for most pp!

In less than 15 months I had 16 fills and 4 partial unfills. So 20 adjustments total. Never got adequate restriction. Either too loose or too tight. NO happy medium. My CRAP-BAND has NEVER worked as advertised!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Allergan!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Judy M.
on 9/12/11 6:18 pm
omg i had same experience w my band  having rny in a month w full stomach removal  

Shelley Malskis
on 9/15/11 6:26 am - NY
I'm sorry that yours didn't work, but it does work for many people, however the band is only a tool and you have to learn to work with the tool for it to do the job.  Maybe it was defective, or you just didn't follow your diet well enough. 
MARIA F.
on 9/15/11 7:01 am - Athens, GA
On September 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM Pacific Time, twilight35 wrote:
I'm sorry that yours didn't work, but it does work for many people, however the band is only a tool and you have to learn to work with the tool for it to do the job.  Maybe it was defective, or you just didn't follow your diet well enough. 
AND JUST HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD YOUR BAND SINCE YOU ARE NOW THE EXPERT AND CAN TELL ME MY FAULT WITH THE BAND?!?!?!

~it does work for many people~

It does work for many people. However it just doesn't work for most of them LONG TERM.

~however the band is only a tool and you have to learn to work with the tool for it to do the job.~

No! The band is a "tool" for SOME people. Some of us NEVER got that "tool"! Can you fix a leaky pipe with a broken wrench(tool)??? I think NOT!

~you just didn't follow your diet well enough.~

Oh really?????? Maybe I just didn't follow the diet well enough????????? HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! How much have you lost with your band and following YOUR diet well enough???

I am perfectly capable of dieting. I have been doing it since the day I got my band! I fully expected to diet to work WITH my band, however I did not pay $15,000 cash to lose weight ONLY by dieting!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your DIET!!!!!!!!!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Shelley Malskis
on 9/16/11 3:34 am - NY
wow, what a horrible attitude, I am not trying to come across as an expert, but I have used my lap band to my atvantage for the past 3 yrs, and through trial and error with my diet, multiple adjustments, and continuous follow up with my Dr and dietician I have managed to lose 93 pounds.  I was told by my dr that I am at a healthy weight right now and don't need to lose anymore, that the 10-15 pds that I am so worried about will come off when I get my body contouring surgery.  Best of luck to you, hope you find something that works for you.
Shelley Malskis
on 9/15/11 6:23 am - NY
Well, just a quick update, went to see Dr Hill yesterday and he said that the reason I haven't lost anything in a while is because I am so close to my goal and that I am at a healthy weight and he said that he considers me to be one of his best lap band success stories, He told me that I look great the way I am and that I am too fixated on a number, and that I need to keep track of my protein intake, also to try to just slow down and chew better.  He knows that I'm always on the go and in a hurry, so we'll see.  Since I started my weightloss journey I have gone from a size 22 womens, and weighing in at 247.5 and now I wear a size 9 juniors and weigh 155.  My BMI has gone from a 44 to a 29.  I love my band and am very grateful for having the opportunity to get it, I am also very lucky to have gotten it done by such a great Dr and medical team. I would recommend Dr Hill and the bariatric center at Adirondack Medical Center to anyone considering surgery.
Most Active