Looking for positive banders!

mndavey
on 10/29/11 2:46 pm - MA
Wow- first of all i just want to say how inspired I am by your weightloss! Lately i have been feeling like maybe i have too much to lose, maybe i need a more restrictive option (like the VSG)...but I am less than amonth from myband and I just want to move forward and get going with my new life.  I have wondered if I am making a bad choice and sticking to it because it is already set up and started and I dont want to start over (my doctor does not do anything but bands)- As i read the boards and I see alot of banded pple down 40-70lbs- I think "but I need to lose 150lbs- maybe the band is better for those with less weight to lose"- I seem to remember a few years ago that was the thinking bypass for over 100lbs- band for under but I am nto sure if and when i really heard that-

Anyway all this questioning my decision an wondering about if the band can really help someone like me and then I see you on here- It is not that I havent met anyone with the band who lost over 100lbs but i have met more people with the bypass that have- anyway back to where i started...

I think seeing how much you lost helped me realize that which procedure is not as important as the life change- that in the end regardless of which surgery if you change the way you eat and add exercise you will lose weight and if you dont- you wont (or you will gain it back) they are all just tools.  Maybe one is faster, easier I dont know- but at this point I am sure that for me the Lap band is the right choice for me right now-

Or at least I hope i am right...I agree i think people that have had a bad experience may spend more time on the boards because they are struggling- I would love to hear from as many people who have lost OVER 100lbs(with the band) as possible! I really need the affirmation!
Jean M.
on 10/30/11 7:36 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I just want to mention that I went to have a look at the Failed WLS forum (only because I was trying to remember a member's name and I thought she might post there) and was interested to see posts not only by people whose band surgery had "failed", but also gastric bypass and sleeve failures.

There is no such thing as a perfect or one-size-fits-all bariatric procedure. Bariatric surgery is the only effective long-term treatment for obesity available in the USA today, but it is not a cure for obesity.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

goals2behad
on 10/30/11 7:33 am
 This is a very uplifting post! Thank you for taking the time to give so many encourageing words. It is true you seem to hear or remember the negative stories a little more. You have made some very great points. I am going to try and use both sides positive & negative as a tool.
I love the  thought  that many happy banders are out there enjoying their new healthy bodies...*sigh*. I can't not wait. Thank you!!
melly37
on 10/30/11 2:40 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Hi there!

Well, I have had my problems with the band, including a slip that required surgery to fix.  However, that was more of an issue caused by my first surgeon.  The band is hard work, and requires a lot of lifestyle changes, but I find it a 100 times easier than dieting alone.  We are here if you need advice, encouragement or someone to celebrate with!!  Good luck!!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

goals2behad
on 10/30/11 7:12 am
 Thank you to each of you have taken the time to welcome me and post. I do appreciate all the information I can get. The good, the bad and the ugly!!! I do feel it is important ot hear all sides. That is why I am on here is to learn from each of you.
I guess I should have been a little more clear when I posted "haters"... I found a few areas that seemed to be over taken with drama, name calling and almost bullying. Not interested.
I loving all the input.
I am feeling confident that if WLS is for me I will do the band. I think there are risks for any surgery. I am going to attend the seminar again on Thursday night. Go over all the risks agaon for each surgery.  When I hear some of the problems that some of you have endured I am afraid. Then when I hear some of the fantastic sucess stories I feel very hopeful. I know that I would like to drop about 100lbs for many reasons. I know I feel out of control and I have to do something. Its such a tough decision!!!! Thats where I am at.  
Thanks again for your posts!!!! Jen
Jean M.
on 10/30/11 7:44 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Jen,

overtaken with drama, name calling and almost bullying.

Ah, yes. I know what you mean, but as the 12-step saying goes, "Not everybody in the room is in recovery."

Keep in mind that people tend to post more when they're having problems or are disappointed or are new and confused. That's just the nature of a so-called support site like OH.

I'm a relentlessly positive person and happy with my choice of WLS, but my life is now so full of interests and activities unrelated to bariatric surgery that I have to make a conscious effort to visit this forum on a regular basis.

I've had a band slip and a flipped port and lived to tell the tale. I still love my band - it was a good choice for me. If you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them or point you in the right direction. If you choose another WLS procedure, no problem. In a sense, we're all the same because we all suffer from obesity. We might choose different paths to deal with the disease, but we'll always be united by that common concern.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

goals2behad
on 10/30/11 8:02 am
 Ok I have probably over posted  BUT, I just want you all to know I appreciate any information I can get. I understand that not everything always ends perfect. I want to hear the good side of the Lap Band and the bad side of the Lap Band.  

When I was looking on the boards I saw a few arguments, name calling and picking on one another. I am not interested in that part. Haters... might have been the wrong word. I apologize.

At this point I have decided I will do the Lap Band if it is approved by my insurance. I have many personal reason why I want to have WLS in general. As far as why the band...it seems less invasive. Faster recovery. Honestly I am afraid of actually removing part of my body but, even as I type this I am afraid of having an object in my body.Regardless I have to trust the doctors and their science. I have a surgeon here in my town that has done 100s of band procedures. I would have to travel 4-5 hours for one of the other procedures. Its like a security blanket knowing he would be in the same town. I am going to attend his seminar again this Thursday and look into one of his support groups. I have about 100lbs to drop. I don't know (in my mind) if that is enough to consider bypass or sleeve. I am ok with losing slower. I actually think it might be less scary if I did. I don't look at the band as temporary or removable but I feel like if something happens maybe it would be correctable. I understand that there is the chance of that not being true but isn't it with either surgery?
I know I am like everyone of you...I have tried every diet. Lost weight and it came back with 10-20lbs extra. I have to stop this cycle I am on and I am totally willing to work to make that happen.
I do believe it is going to be about  how I work the band. I understand huge life changes are needed. Not only am I willing ...I am so looking forward to them.
Sorry this is so disorganized. Again Thank you girls!
Nic M
on 10/30/11 8:28 am
It's really not less invasive. Honestly, that's a selling point, but it isn't the truth at all.  It's removable, not reversible. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of damage I have from the band. So, if those are your reasons for going with the band, I encourage you to read everything on the Revisions forum before making a final decision.

The band manufacturers completely overpromise and under-deliver.  There are some people who have success with the band... and a whole lot of us who are damaged by it.

I AM a band "hater"... but I'm honest. The reason I am honest about it is because I want others to be able to avoid the hell I went through, if possible. If you research fully and still decide on the band, I wish you the best of luck and hope it all goes well.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Guernica Loser
on 10/30/11 8:43 am
Unfortunately, you have 101 reasons to hate the band.  Your experience was hell and everyone should know what you went through!
I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

Nic M
on 10/30/11 8:49 am
It was pretty bad, for sure. Thank you for being nice! It's good to see you back. I hope you're doing all right!

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active