Almost 8 yrs and now......

karianne
on 12/19/11 3:11 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
Hello Everyone,

Well it's been a crazy 6 months.  Up until this point all has been wonderful with my banding journey.  I was banded back in April of 2004.  Lost all my weight in 2 yrs.  No unfills or overfills.  I was sitting happy at 2.9cc in my band and no fill additional fill needed in the last 4 yrs.  I got a TT in 2008 and honestly I have just been enjoying life.  That was until April of this year when I woke up one morning with absolutely no restriction.  Damn I knew something wasn't right and thought it was a possible leak.  Called my NP and we decided that since I had been at goal for 5 yrs unless I was in pain I didn't have to come in right away.  Well fast forward to Sept and up 30 lbs I decided to call and make an appointment.  Went in and as I assumed there was no liquid in my band.  So tried to see if they could see a leak under radiology and they couldn't which means it is a slow slow leak. 

I meet with my original surgeon on Jan 11.  I'm happy to move forward and have a plan whatever that ends up being.  I will either have a full band replacement or choose a revision.  I will give this a lot of thought and consideration.  I have no regrets so far and I want to keep it that way.  Thank you to all that continue to show support on this board.  I haven't been here as much as I was when I first started this journey almost 8 yrs ago but in a sense I feel that I'm now starting a new journey.

I am open to any thoughts...Thanks, Karianne

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

NanaB.
on 12/19/11 3:30 am
Karianne, you've done so well with your band and you've lived it problem free this long, if it were me I would get a band replacement, there is no way I would get a revision to another more invasive surgery especially with a lot of unknowns, you can always get the band replaced, removed if problems arise, but if you get a more permanent surgery you may be stuck with unpleasant side effects that you may have to live with the rest of your life.

I know it's a hard decision, but if my port sprung a leak, I would fix it in a minute, but do whatever you think is in your best interest, and I wish you the best.
 Are you overall Happy with your Band and want a postive environment to stay on track? Join us and become a member of our Happy Lap Band Group Keep it bookmarked! http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Happy_Successful_Banders/ 

karianne
on 12/19/11 3:49 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12

Thanks Naomi I appreciate your feedback-someone who has had long success with the band also.  I keep going back to all the original reasons I got the band in the first place.  I also know that I may want something permenant now.  I am fortunate either way because I know I can lose and keep my weight off and that is a gift in and of itself. 

I'm so happy to still see you here and that your doing so well  !!

Kari

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207

Kate -True Brit
on 12/19/11 3:33 am - UK
 What a nuisance! I had a leak at about 4 1/2 years out but it was a dramatic one and so easy to locate and repair.

I know that if I lost my band, conditions permitting, I would want  a replacement. But I do know many would probably choose vsg.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

karianne
on 12/19/11 3:58 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12

Hi Kate-Thx for sharing.  With such a big leak it sounds like they were able to locate and just replace that part of your band?  I will need a full band replacement.  I'm concerned about scare tissue and having the new band work as good as my original.  Can I get lucky twice?  This is exactly why I need to really research and think about this before I see my surgeon.  I'm writing the pros and cons of each surgery.  I'm worried about a revision all together whether it's a band replacement or other surgery.  I'm just so thankful I have this board because no one else truly understands my situation (family and friends).  Kari

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207

Kate -True Brit
on 12/19/11 4:12 am - UK

I know exactly what you mean. I read of people who having had unfills can't get restriction again so with a whole new band.....?

However, I once talked in general terms with my doc and he said replacement was possible.

I was lucky. Dye injected into the port came straight out and the leak site was clear. The doc chopped out about an inch of tubing and rejoined it. He refilled me during surgery and it was perfect restriction again. Very, very lucky.

Kate

karianne
on 12/19/11 4:21 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12

Kate you are so lucky.  They injected dye last week and we waited and waited and they could not identify a leak.  She then inserted 2.5cc at that time.  Here it is 6 days later, I went in today and only had 1.1cc left.  So definietly a slow leak but no idea where.  Therefore would replace entire banding system.  If it was just my port believe me I wouldn't be having this converstaion!!  Thank goodness you got perfect restriction again-so lucky!!

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207

Kate -True Brit
on 12/19/11 4:32 am - UK
 Oh believe me! I know I am!

BuckeyeGirl
on 12/19/11 5:03 am - TN
I have been very pleased with my sleeve revision. I had problems with my band though and the sleeve works the way I thought the band would. I don't have any food intolerances, my restriction is consistent (can eat in the morning and at night, in a car, in a plane, in summer, in winter, etc.) and I have never vomited with my sleeve. If you have any questions regarding life with a sleeve, there are several band to sleeve revisions that hang out on the VSG board. Come and visit us.

Sounds like you've done great with the band up until this...my only concern with going with a second band is that you may be looking at repeat surgeries throughout the years as problems like this repeat themselves. To me, that would be a bummer.

Best of luck with whatever you decide and congrats on your weight loss. I know you'll get that 30 off again soon.

Best,
Lindsey

mrsmarlin
on 12/19/11 9:16 am - Pomona, NY
Hi Karianne, 
     I just posted that I am going through a similar problem at this time.  Doc will not admit there is a leak though.  My gut feeling is that there is a significant one and he just cannot see it.  Will see him tomorrow and talk some more.

Ellen
Most Active