BOB

steelerfan1
on 4/25/12 2:16 am
Cali, you say you dont have the energy to exercise or dont want to with a band that is critical IMO.

I have a band and I think 90% of the band patients will tell you they have to exercise to lose the weight .   They just make the time if they are tired or not 3 to 5 times a week .

I think if you dont add exercise with the band you are in for a huge huge disappointment .   You might drop some weight at the first few stages like everybody does but if you dont add the exercise you are just going to be at a standstill once again.

I think and once again this is my opinion before you cut yourself open again on another surgery I think I would make the time to add exercise into your life  and if you are eating right you should see the weight come off.  I sure wouldn't add another surgery just because I dont want to or wouldn't make the time to exercise .  

I dont think you realize how crucial exercise is to any WLS out there .
Cali_SL
on 4/25/12 4:09 am - Los Angeles, CA

I truly understand that exercise is very important for successful weight loss. I have tried to come up with ways to fit it into my life. But after getting off work, cooking dinner, bathing my daughter and just getting prepared for the next day, I am just EXHAUSTED. I try to tell myself "just 30 minutes, exercise for 30 minutes", but I haven't been able to commit myself to it yet. I would really like to figure out a way to make it part of my daily routine.

steelerfan1
on 4/25/12 4:36 am
I understand its hard when you work full time and taking care of a family.  Before you consider anything like major surgery again I would find the time for the exercise because I truly believe you will be in for a huge let down with the band if you dont get exercise part of your life.

With it getting lighter out now and warmer out why dont you and your daughter go for walks ? It dont have to be long walks even if you can walk for 20 min that is better then nothing and then you can start adding more time to it as you get faster.   

Kids love to go on walks that is what I did with my son and I was working full time . 

It's going to come down to you will just have to make the time .  Fix meals that can be made ahead like in the crock pot, or fix meals that can last a couple days that is what I did when I worked full time. So then you have that time to walk or even do a short DVD instead of cooking.

My son also loved when he was little to do the exercise DVD's with me back then VHS lol.  But we would make a game out of it , he got entertained and I was exercising so it worked out well .

There is ways you can do it , you just have to put your mind to it and say this is what I have to do , this is what I need to do .
Cali_SL
on 4/25/12 5:51 am - Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for the great suggestions. All the responses were helpful. I am going to try to go it on my own again before really moving forward with another surgery. But if I don't see any significant weight loss around this time next year, I think it may be time for plan B (or should I say BOB).
~Cali          
steelerfan1
on 4/25/12 5:57 am
I think you are making a very wise decision Cali :o) .  Be 100% honest with yourself about the food, what you eat, how much you eat and your exercise and I think you will be suprised your first surgery is working for you :o)

Good Luck to you !!!!
Tom C.
on 4/25/12 6:15 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Hope you don’t mind more of my 2 ¢

Before going for another operation SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR. If your current Doctor is a P.O.S. (and no folks, I am not talking about a “carrier plan"), then look to another Doctor. Also speak to a Nutritionist. Maybe they can pinpoint the issue, and it can be resolved with an operation.

Don’t compare your weight loss with others. We’re all different, and we all lose weight at different rates. Just because someone may have lost 10 more pounds quicker than you did, that doesn’t mean they will remain successful. Maybe your body needs to lose weight slowly, in order to acclimate itself to remain healthy and functioning properly. Plus many Doctors feel when one loses weight slowly there is a better chance of keeping it off. Plus the “average" weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds a week. So 5 pounds a month is on target. And remember, even 2 pounds a month is close to 25 pounds over a year time.  Remember SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE!!!

Here is another suggestion, and you may just want to do it. It’s going to see extreme, but give it a try and see what happens.

GET BACK TO THE BASICS !! I tell everyone that. Pretend today was day one of the operation and go back to a strict liquid diet. Do this for a few days (maybe a week), then go onto the next stage of soft food then finally regular food.

You need to go back and follow the rules that made you successful. You need to have the 64 ounces of NON-CARBONATE/DECAFFEINATED liquid. You need to have your 60 to 80 grams of protein (or whatever your Doctor told you). You need to make sure you don’t drink 30 minutes before/after or during your meal.   

Go to a Support Group and discuss your issue there. Maybe others are in a similar spot, or they have been where you are and have great suggestion.

Of course the bottom line is you need to do what is right FOR YOU.

Please know we're here for you. And we'll be behind you 100% how ever you decide to do.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
heathercross
on 4/25/12 6:25 am - New York, NY
 Got to agree with Steeler fan. I've commented that is isn't how long I work on, its how often.  I see the scale move more when I work out 30 minutes everyday than when I work out 3 days for 2 hrs.  Exercise is essential.  I think to be succesful at WLS, you need to work on your head and your food issues and adopt a exercise regimn.  And when I can you I mean anyone.
Cherokeesage
on 4/25/12 2:40 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I wish you much success in your journey.  We are all in the same boat wanting to get our excess wt off  and keep it off so to live our best life.  I've got close friends going as far back as 1991 having WLS so I've seen many things over the years.  I personally know how frustrating it is to choose one surgery and then have to decide on a second.   I hope you will be able to get back on track as you are.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active