Would you?

MARIA F.
on 5/8/12 2:32 pm - Athens, GA

In January, House Democratic lawmakers called for hearings on medical devices including Lap-Band, following a study in the medical journal Archives of Surgery, that found almost half of patients with a gastric band had no weight loss or needed the device removed after six years. More than 40 percent had long- term complications.

So I ask you.......If you knew in advance this info............would you have gotten the band???

FormerlyFluffy.com

Nic M
on 5/8/12 2:42 pm
Definitely not. When I had the lapband surgery done, there was no information available. I was told it was "safe, effective, and less invasive."  I was also told that I would be able to eat... just less of everything.

It turned out to be very unsafe and very invasive. And I couldn't eat anything solid for 2 years. I have the lapband to thank for my messed up metabolism today.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Hislady
on 5/8/12 2:55 pm - Vancouver, WA
Nope I was told as long as I followed the manual and the surgeon's post op protocol Iwould lose weight. Well I did lose 15-20 lbs, but when you have over 100 lbs to lose that's not much help. I've since lost 50 lbs but only after I had my band emptied so I could eat healthy food again and it only MY hard work that got the rest of the weight off. I truely hope this is the begining of a class action suit for those of us that were hoodwinked by Allergan and Realize. I was also told the band could stay in forever, now they say 5-10 years. I think we were all conned. I am happy for those it worked for but I think for the majority it was a let down.
MARIA F.
on 5/8/12 3:21 pm - Athens, GA
On May 8, 2012 at 9:55 PM Pacific Time, Hislady wrote:
Nope I was told as long as I followed the manual and the surgeon's post op protocol Iwould lose weight. Well I did lose 15-20 lbs, but when you have over 100 lbs to lose that's not much help. I've since lost 50 lbs but only after I had my band emptied so I could eat healthy food again and it only MY hard work that got the rest of the weight off. I truely hope this is the begining of a class action suit for those of us that were hoodwinked by Allergan and Realize. I was also told the band could stay in forever, now they say 5-10 years. I think we were all conned. I am happy for those it worked for but I think for the majority it was a let down.

I personally called Allergan, in addition to asking at the band mill and was told that the Lap-Band was a lifetime implant! I heard LIE after LIE from those people! :-( Anything to sell their CRAP-BANDS and profit off of desperate obese people!

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/12 8:50 pm
 Absolutely not.  
whithark
on 5/8/12 10:19 pm - Bristol, RI
I'm pretty sure I would have chosen another WLS if I knew all the stats then that are coming out now.
Jaime 

misty S.
on 5/8/12 10:51 pm
 yes

Bette B.
on 5/8/12 10:54 pm
 Back in 2003, there were limited options for WLS. With the choice of RNY or Band, I still would have gone with the band.

TODAY? I don't know. It's still the only option available that doesn't require initial resecting of the GI tract and that still is a big, big dealbreaker for a lot of people, including me.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kim S.
on 5/8/12 11:12 pm - North of Boston, MA
Yes.  My biggest problems are volume eating and not feeling full.  I was/am very reluctant to have my insides rerouted so any of the malabsorption surgeries were/are last on my list.  If I had the sleeve I'm worried I'd stretch it back out as my body adapted at the 1-3 year mark.

No question you need to be on top of your followup care with the LB to monitor for complications.  Not happy that the rate is so high and wish there was more data on whether it was related to initial surgery (placement, healing, etc), afercare, aggressiveness of fills or ???

Kim

Down 95+ pounds and still trucking along

Cheryl N.
on 5/9/12 1:33 am - Des Moines, WA
he double hockey sticks no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had gone with the bypass in the first place! 

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Most Active