new with questions

rissa1224
on 10/4/12 1:16 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
I thought I posted before but I dont see my post. I hope this one works!

basically I am looking for input on the band. I am almost 25 and have been heavy my entire life (born a 10lb baby too) developed at a very early age (earlier than 9 years old). I have tried to diet many times and I struggle daily. I just started to look into the band, I am going to a seminar tonight actually. I want to hear it from the people who have had it done, the good the bad and the ugly

thanks!

Kim S.
on 10/4/12 4:59 am - North of Boston, MA
Hi and welcome to the lapband board.

With new members, it takes a little while for your posts to show up and the board has been pretty slow lately.

My first piece of advice would be to look back over the last few months of posts.  Several members have posted about their successes and their problems.  There is everything from those of us who've had their band a long time and are still doing great to people who've had horrible problems (through no fault of their own) and have had the band removed.

I've had my band for 7 years now, am down 90 pounds and couldn't be happier.  Each WLS is different and works for a different kind of person. I'm a volume eater - I NEVER felt full.  With the lapband, I finally feel like I've had enough so it is easy (easier) to stop.  Knowing that I can only eat so much at a meal, I skip the filler carbs and go for the dense protein and the veggies.

However, the thing with the lapband is there is still a lot of work for you to do.  Empty calories like chips or candy or cookies or milkshakes go down no problem - you have to choose not to eat them. At least for me, exercise is key.  If I don't exercise, I don't lose.

The other thing is that generally, weight loss with the lapband is slow.  Right after surgery your doctor is most concerned with you healing and you won't even get a fill until 6 weeks post-op so it really will be like nothing has changed at first.  As you get fills, it takes a while to get good restriction.  It took me 6 months to get any consistent restriction and a year to be at a good fill level but it is much better to go slowly than to be overfilled.  And this is where some bandsters have had problems - they never got good restriction for whatever reason (not their fault!).

I love my lapband, I'd do it again and I do recommend it but their are some major pros and cons that any patient should be aware of going in.

Kim

Down 95+ pounds and still trucking along

Stephanie M.
on 10/4/12 5:05 am
 Check out these posts, there are many more like this.  Go to the revision forum and VSG forum too.  Good luck!

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4570432/Has-the-Lap-Band-Really-Worked-for-Anyone/#37917679

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4574194/The-good-and-bad/#37916345

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

mommyslittlemonster
on 10/4/12 12:36 pm - Stanwood, WA
I was banded six years ago and am very close to my goal weight. It is without question the best thing I've ever done for myself, it changed my life. I am healthier than I've ever been. For me, 60% of my weight loss could be directly attributed to the band, the rest is from learning to adapt to a totally new lifestyle. I learned to love exercise and that is without a doubt why I maintain my weight now. A lot of people don't have this kind of success with the band, and while sometimes that's because it just never works the way it's supposed to, a lot of times its because they consider it a miracle cure to obesity. It takes a lot of work to be willing to make the life changes necessary to keeping the weight off long term. I am and always be a food addict, I just thank god I'm really into getting out there and moving too.
110 pounds down and still going!

rissa1224
on 10/4/12 1:29 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
 Thank you all who have responded! I went to a seminar tonight adn I have set my consult appointment for next Thursday. If all goes well with Insurance I will do everything they need and set an appointment in a few months, or less. I am excited and scared but ready for a huge lifestyle change. 
Kerry B.
on 10/10/12 4:01 am
I had the band put in two years ago.  I lost 120 lbs the first year and have maintained it the second.  I, like you, tried every possible diet imaginable.  I would lose 100 lbs at a time only to regain it back just as quickly as I'd lost it.  I will be honest though, this has not been near as easy as I imagined.  If you are a big eater, this is ideal. If you are like me and crave sweets, you will still have to work at losing weight.  I really have to watch what I eat. I weigh myself daily and exercise at least a couple of times a week.  As with any surgery, there are complications. I had to have my port replaced less than a year into this due to infection. However going from a size 26/28 to a 10/12 I'd still do it again. I went from having to shop at plus size stores to being able to shop at the mall.  I no longer worry about fitting in booths, roller coasters, etc. and I enjoy the little things in life like being able to cross my legs and climb stairs without becoming winded.  Do your research, know what you're getting in to and go from there.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

rissa1224
on 10/10/12 4:06 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

Hi! Thank you for answering. I am not a big sweets and snack eater. I just cant control my portions. I have actually started the process this week. I met with the surgeon, he told me to do as he tells me to do and this will go smoothly with the process. I saw the nutritionist last night and she put me on a 'diet plan' pre op to also help prep for my post op. It isnt that bad. I may have something called PCOS which is why I have always been over weight my entire life, and thats why Weigh****chers isnt working for me. I lose easily and gain easily and fast. I cant wait to be healthy, i fear for the future with all of my family history- i cant let it happen to me and right now i am on their path. Thank you for the heads up and advice and story. I will be sure to post as I go along my new journey. And congrats on the success!! 

pineview01
on 10/10/12 3:12 pm - Davison, MI
If your only concern is portion control (me too) I would check out all I could find on the band and the sleeve.  If you need to be able to take nsads in the future, I would check out the sleeve.  Read the VSG boards.  Also check out the revison boards to found out the issues with both.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active