Insurance Questions

rissa1224
on 10/7/12 9:29 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
 Ok, So I met with a surgeon who I know is popular in my area. How ever, my insurance is out of network there. THey said they'll 'take care of it' but i dont want to have to pay a ton of cash out of pocket. Like $3k or more. 

I found other surgeons online who I have done much research about who take my insurance that I have now. Would it be better stick with a facility who accpets my insurance so I dont get stuck with outgrageous bills?
kathkeb
on 10/7/12 12:03 pm
I can't tell you what to do, but I will caution you to FULLY understand how your maintenance and fills will fit into whatever practice you choose.

I was self pay so I didn't have to deal with insurance, just write a big fat check.

But, I had probably 10 follow up appointments while I was losing my weight. I have probably have 5 or 6 appointments since I got to my goal weight.
I had to pay for those appointments (the first 3 months were included in my surgery fee).

You need to choose a medical practice and a surgery based on many factors, including long term care and the cost involved.
Kath

Jean M.
on 10/7/12 8:28 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
I agree with Kath.

Also, I would not trust that surgeon's office based on a vague term like "take care of it." What exactly do they mean by that? If they bill your insurance for $16,000 and get paid $10,000, what happens to the $6,000 shortfall?

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active