sorry just 1 more gallbladder question

giants21
on 3/19/13 9:59 am
Ok so I want to go food shopping since I am going for gallbladder surgery Thursday (yuck) does anyone know if I will be on a special diet post op? Just liquids? I appreciate if anyone can help me. Thank you
annie0039
on 3/19/13 10:25 am

It's OK don't apologize for asking questions that is what the forum is for enlightened 

I still have my GB but know plenty of people who don't , Your going to have a few incisions similar to the LB surgery and YES you'll go though the Post surgical shoulder pain from the CO2. 

Most people can return to their normal activities in 7 to 10 days. People who have laparoscopic gallbladder surgery are sore for about a week. But in 2 to 3 weeks they have much less discomfort than people who have open surgery. 

Yes, a Liquids diet is recommended for the first 2-3 days.

There are some foods that should be avoided after gallbladder surgery. Generally, any foods that gave you pain before surgery will need to be avoided. It will take awhile for your body to learn how to digest fats so you should stick to a low fat diet for at least a few weeks after surgery and reintroduce them very slowly. Dairy products and too much fiber can also cause problems.

The BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast) should be avoided if you are having problems with constipation. However, if you are having diarrhea you may want to eat more of these foods.

Every one should avoid these:
  • Fried Food
  • Dairy Products Especially Cheese
  • Peanut Butter
  • Red Meat
  • Greasy Foods
  • Raw Vegetables
  • Caffeine
  • Alcohol (especially if you're on prescription pain pills!)
  • I hope this helps! 
  • GOOD LUCK

Hislady
on 3/20/13 7:50 am - Vancouver, WA

Now I didn't have any restrictions as far as food, I think I spent 1 night in the hospital but that was more because f my clotting issue. I could eat whatever I wanted when I got home there was no food restriction. Just said to be careful with fried or fatty foods but I haven't had a problem the few times I ate them. I was back to normal life in a couple of days. Hope yours goes as easy as mine was!

giants21
on 3/20/13 7:57 am
Thank you both for the informative information. I appreciate it thanks for the support
Stephanie M.
on 3/20/13 10:22 am

My gallbladder surgery was a much easier and quicker recovery than Lapband.  I arrived at the hospital at 7 am and left at 11:30am.  I was nauseous, but a Popcicle helped.  My BG was all over the place.  The next day I was on a soft/liquid diet, back to normal day 3.  Never took pain meds.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

giants21
on 3/20/13 10:48 am
Wow I hope I do as well. Not to be stupid but what is BG? Thanx for sharing your experience
Pickles123
on 3/20/13 4:24 pm

I was thrilled to get my gallbladder out and felt so much better afterwards.

I also did not have any diet restrictions.  I just tried to take it slow with more bland soft foods right after surgery and work my way up to our usual diet.

It is just my opinion, but I think taking it slow with the eating allows me to now eat almost anything.  I did not eat fatty or very spicey foods much before so I didn't after but I have had no problems with any foods.

I did read of all the problems people had after there GB surgery but I sure didn't and I was so glad to get it out.

Good Luck!

Most Active