Help with getting a fill

shondee
on 6/17/13 10:39 pm

I am trying to figure out if I need a fill or a slight unfill. I had the barium swallow 2 weeks ago and they said that everything looked ok and it was drippig trough. I had a little acid reflux. Somedays I can get way more than I am supposed to and somedays everything I eat makes me throw up. I think that I am eating slider foods because I am starving. Has anyone else had this problem. I havent lost but 11 pounds since November when I had a slight unfill. Thanks in advance for some advice.

Jean M.
on 6/17/13 11:24 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

I wish there was a simple answer to your question. If you're still having some reflux and eating problems like PB's (regurgitation of food), I think a slight unfill could help you eat the solid food that provides the early and prolonged satiety that the band is supposed to give you. And it's not good to let reflux go on without attention or treatment, because eventually it can damage your esophagus. So, I suggest that you talk to your surgeon about this. No one here on OH is qualified to give you medical advice. I support the idea of an unfill because that's helped me in the past. More than once, I gained weight when my band was too tight, from eating so many slider foods.

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

shondee
on 6/17/13 11:28 pm

Thanks That was what I was thinking about doing. I have an appt. tomorrow was just afriad of gaining weight.

Jean M.
on 6/18/13 3:51 am
Revision on 08/16/12

I think the possibility of gaining weight haunts all of us at some point. And getting an unfill sounds counter-intuitive - surely it's better to have more fill, not less? But I really believe that the weight gain nightmare would come true for you eventually if you don't take action now. Good luck!

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

shondee
on 6/18/13 5:30 am

Thanks

bridget1970
on 6/18/13 5:01 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17

My situation is very similar to yours.  I have the acid reflux and days where it's hard to get anything down except the slider foods.  I went for my upper GI series two weeks ago and it was discovered that I had a hiatal hernia.  So, this afternoon I am meeting with my surgeon to see what is going to be done.  Hopefully, it will be just a slight unfill.

shondee
on 6/18/13 5:31 am

I hope everything goes good for you. I am worried if I keep overeating that I will stretch my pouch and have lots of other problems. I wish you luck!

Stephanie M.
on 6/18/13 5:39 am

If barium is "just dripping through" you are most definitely too tight.  Liquids should flow through your stoma with ease.  Please get an unfil, since being too tight will lead to pouch dilation or worse, even if you don't overeat.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active