Success Stories

Zee Starrlite
on 6/21/13 5:12 am

Awesome on the change in lifestyle and losing 50lbs.  If you can keep working as hard yet want a good chance at moving to the next level, check out the VSG!  I love my stomach sleeved but it is no miracle because I feel great and can eat really healthy and my love of food would only leave me if I were not me or at eternal rest kiss.  I am however never hungry and my stomach is not a bottomless pit.

I am glad that I have not had an easy time in terms of weight loss with my sleeved stomach because then when I got to the point where I could eat more, I'd gain.  This is what has happened to some people.  Prior to surgery they ate crazy, they have surgery and it is extremely drastic 400-800 calories is all they can eat then bang it is no longer an automatic decision made by the surgery itself because they couldn't physically eat.  They then eat because they are able and gain, gain, gain.  I struggle but I am the same because I have to keep working for it.  With the  Lap Band  I was afraid to eat hours and hours before bed because I feared waking up in the middle of the night choking.  That is the worst feeling in the world and so I did not need to experience that horror more than twice - that was how I lost I was scared.  I am no longer afraid so I do eat too many fruits or whatever (my calories tend to stay in the 1500 calorie range - that is too much for my body to lose especially when I am not always fanatically exercising :))

No doubt, I'd recommend the sleeve 100%.  I really love  my little tummy and I don't mind the work.

Best,

Leila

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

gorditabonita
on 6/20/13 3:11 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

I had the lapband for 5 years and I considered myself a success, losing almost 100 pounds and maintaining most of my weight loss until last summer when I had to have my band removed in an emergency situation. I, then, revised to the sleeve and I have been very happy. In many ways, although I try not to live with regret, I wish I had had the sleeve first. First all, multiple surgeries increases the risk of complications, and with my sleeve, my restriction is constant, the weight loss is more rapid, and I never have food tolerance issues.

Best of luck to you. Honestly, I would not advise anyone to go with the band these days. Why take the chance? It may work out perfectly for you and it may be a disaster - at best, you are probably looking at a 2nd band down the road. My band caused a lot of adhesions in my body and many have had permanent damage to other organs.  I just read that Emory and Mayo are no longer doing the bands. I don't know if that is true, but I do know that my dr has started to steer all patients away from this option due to the long-term complication rate.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

Shamira
on 6/20/13 6:50 am - Duluth, GA

Thank you ma'am! This is some good advice.

Most Active