Replacing a band that was taken out

coconutatthebeach
on 9/7/13 2:34 am

My lap band was meant to be a tool I could use for a lifetime. It was suddenly removed because of erosion, meaning it blended into my skin................

. My doctor recently did a ct scan on my abdomen. if all is okay, i may ask the weight loss doctor to one it back in again.........

He told me when he took it out that he'd put it in again if all was well within a years time. He said because a band erodes the first time doesn't mean a band will erode a second time. 

I've researched it on the internet and many doctors do put a second band in, after a given period of time, if the first one eroded. 

Bette B.
on 9/7/13 2:56 am

If it were ME? I wouldn't go with one a second time after an erosion. I love my band but an erosion is serious business.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Hislady
on 9/7/13 5:08 am - Vancouver, WA

No reputable doctor would put a second band in when the first one eroded, The band is NOT a lifetime tool, Allergan and Realize both say that the life expectancy of the band is 5-10 years at best. You are risking yet another erosion and it can cause you to lose part of your stomach if not caught in time. I personally would never let them put a second one in, far too risky!

coconutatthebeach
on 9/7/13 6:13 am

If not a second lap band then other weight loss surgery?

krinannie
on 9/7/13 2:48 pm, edited 9/7/13 2:49 pm - Vegas, BABY! And in a smaller Human Suit, NV

Mine is coming out Monday. My surgeon said if I came in today, he would not be recommending Lap Band as he was then. Most people are revising to other surgeries, I am not. But his suggestion was the sleeve.

annie0039
on 9/7/13 12:31 pm, edited 9/7/13 12:33 pm

Why would you have another band put in if the first one eroded  into your stomach? ANY other weight loss surgery would be a BETTER OPTION, A vertical sleeve would be an option, a RNY or bypass is an Option the Duodenal switch is an Option. ALL of which you can check out online or in the Forums here. AND you'll find quite a few members that once had a Band but had it removed. 

Whatever you decide to do especially if it's a different WLS find a GOOD Bariatric Surgeon that DOES/HAS done NUMEROUS revisions. The stats on 2nd bands ARE NOT GOOD and I have to  say that  it's even WORSE when the first band caused erosion.

As was mentioned I'd run as fast and as far from a Surgeon that told you he will re band you after erosion.

If your LUCKY a Lap band will last 5 yrs then you get to decide what other surgery you need to have, IF you still have a stomach, If not I know people that live with a feeding bag after having had the band and needing it removed due  to erosion. :( And I'm not exaggerating, you were lucky once why risk it. :(

Kate -True Brit
on 9/7/13 5:35 pm - UK

Um! I have always believed that after slips bands could be replaced, although not necessarily a good idea; but after erosion, I thought it was a definite no-no!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Lisa O.
on 9/9/13 1:48 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I know for a fact, my surgeon would not give you another band!  Remember the Einstein's definition of insanity?  Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.  My surgeon quotes this in his seminar.  It's just risky!

Consider the Sleeve is you don't suffer from reflux.  Many are having great success with that surgery.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Zee Starrlite
on 9/9/13 2:13 am

A GOOD DOCTOR WILL NOT PUT ANOTHER BAND ON YOUR STOMACH AFTER THE BAND CAUSED YOUR STOMACH TO GET A HOLE  (EROSION) IN IT!

BE WISE AND DO NOT GET ANOTHER BAND EVEN IF YOU FIND SOME UNETHICAL SURGEON TO PUT ANOTHER ON YOUR STOMACH.

YOU'VE DONE RESEARCH  WHERE? 

Good Luck!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Stephanie M.
on 9/9/13 3:16 am, edited 9/9/13 3:16 am

Am I correct in assuming from another of your posts that you had rny, then band?  Was it a BOB (band over bypass)?  There is no way a second band is going to be a good thing...just my HO.  An erosion is an absolute contraindication to rebanding.  No reputable bariatric surgeon would consider it.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active