Miserable

bubbles1
on 1/4/14 2:52 pm - Surprise, AZ

I was banded in 2002... That's right, 12 years ago and I still have it in me... I lost weight initially but did not keep it off. I have been in pain for the last 4 years, I cannot get it removed as I have no funds and no insurance. I am looking for anyone that has been banded for a long time. I never feel good anymore, I feel like I am coming down with the flu on a daily basis for the last 3 years or so... Its a living a nightmare with this. 

Kate -True Brit
on 1/4/14 5:04 pm - UK

Sorry you are having a bad time.  Not quite sure what you are saying is wrong. Is it painful eating? You say it feels ike flu - how does that relate to the band?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

bubbles1
on 1/5/14 12:06 am - Surprise, AZ

I am in constant pain.... My stomach and port site hurt all the time whether I eat or not... I have had the band for so long I feel as though it may be causing me to feel bad (flu like symptoms, achy, tired just not myself) I am wondering if anyone has had the band and developed this type of feeling horrible or what kind of complications if any after having it in so long... I hope to have it removed this year... Not sure about revisising but definitely having it removed.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/5/14 12:15 am - UK

If your port site hurts and you feel feverish, you should get this checked. One (thankfully not all that common) complication of banding is erosion where the band eats into the stomach tissue. This was more common with the older, higher pressure bands (pre- around 2007). There can often be no symptoms but infection can build up in the damaged tissue and can travel along the tubing to the port.  Particularly if the port area is tender and red, or at all swollen, this needs checking.

i do understand that in the US this can be difficult without insurance but some things should not be left. 

I am not sure why the band should cause stomach pain as this is below the band. But it might be excess acid because of a tight band, poor eating, ulcers.

and if it is not the band, it still needs checking. You should not feel ill for three years!

bubbles1
on 1/5/14 12:36 am - Surprise, AZ

No fevers.. Just constant pain in the port and stomach and the constantly feeling bad in general. I eat very little because it hurts more when I eat. I did have it checked about 3 years ago and they seen a small ulcer but that was it. I hope this year to get everything resolved.

cheyenne000
on 1/5/14 1:41 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I am surprised your doctor did not take it out in 2010 when you had a band erosion. I would have thought they would have needed to remove it right away so you don't get an infection. Also when people are not compliant with their eating that plays a big part in your band eroding. You claim you were none compliant with your eating back in 2010. I really hope you can revise to a surgery that will work for you

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

bubbles1
on 1/5/14 1:45 am - Surprise, AZ

I was told to take Prilosec for the ulcer that was seen when they did the endoscopy back on 2010...I have always followed the plan but when pain started I had to change my way of eating... I cannot eat chicken, steak, apples, bananas... Basically I eat small amounts of cheese, yogurts and soups for the most part and yes junk food goes down easily...I am looking to changing Dr's. The way I feel in general aside from the band pain is horrible and I am worried that maybe there is a side effect from having the band so long...could it possibly be contributing to the flu like symptoms (achy, tired, feeling bad on a daily basis) I have been having for the past 3-4 years...I guess when I see the me dr hopefully within the next few months I can get some answers and help.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/5/14 1:48 am, edited 1/5/14 1:59 am - UK

I have just read your older posts.  You say in one post that your band has eroded. Erosion is a life threatening condition, usually requiring emergency surgery. A doctor would not simply send you home after diagnosis so I wonder if perhaps you did not have erosion. 

in fact, you say in the current thread that nothing is wrong except for a small ulcer.  You also say in 2010 that you are non- compliant with band rules. So I assume you are perhaps eating sliders and junk food.  If I eat badly, I feel unwell and lethargic. If you have an ulcer, eating the wrong foods will also cause pain.

Edted to add, quote from you in 2010

.Let me tell you the failure of my band was due to me not being diciplined enough and not following the rules.

Laura in Texas
on 1/5/14 2:08 am

I hope you have a plan to raise the funds. Cut your expenses. Get a second job. Sell stuff. It can be done. Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cheyenne000
on 1/5/14 2:14 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I really hope you can find a new doctor to help you. Sounds like you really need to have it out. I can't imagine feeling that bad for so long.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Most Active