Band Shifting Up?

bigron452
on 1/30/14 3:04 am - Hopewell Junction, NY

Hi Everyone,

I had lap-band surgery about 5 years ago .. all has gone well, and I've dropped a little over 100lbs.  Recently I started having stomach problems, with a lot of acid in my stomach.  I had a scope done, and was told that there was nothing wrong but my band may have shifted up!  Now there appears to be no pouch ... I'm not gaining weight (not losing an either), but food sometimes feels like it's stuck in my throat and I bring it back up quite often.  Has any one experinced this? .. I've made an appointment to see my surgeon, but I'm looking to get some info .. Thanks

"Life if like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!"  -- Forrest Gump ..
annie0039
on 1/30/14 3:38 am

The Stomach moves, obvioulsy but the band isn't suppossed to but it Can if you've had a slip. I'm not a Doctor but the Scar tissues that forms under the bandcan create problems with the band like not being able to eat protein/solid foods even to the point of not being able to swallow @ times. Then... it seems fine until another episode occurs. Acid reflux is quite COMMON with the band it's a restrictive surgey. It can also cause problems with the esophagus which in turns doesn't allow you to eat. talk to your Dr. i Hope you Find answers Soon!

bigron452
on 1/30/14 4:24 am - Hopewell Junction, NY

Thanks Annie .. appreciate the info

"Life if like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!"  -- Forrest Gump ..
Kate -True Brit
on 1/30/14 6:11 am - UK

If your band has shifted, there is something wrong! And if you have no stomach area above the band, food is remaining in the oesophagus which is not designed for that. You are very sensible to have made an appt to see your surgeon. It may simply be a case of taking saline out and things may return to normal. It may need something more. But it needs sorting out. 

Unless you find yourself unable to drink or eat, you don't need to rush for an emergency appt but much better not to leave it too long. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

bigron452
on 1/30/14 6:36 am - Hopewell Junction, NY

Thank you Kate ..

I felt the same way, it needs to be checked and my food is getting digested.  I am eating (since I'm not losing any weight), and I don't bring it up all the time.  But food seems like it gets stuck in my throat at times and takes a very long time to go down.  I know it needs to be addressed, hopefully the gastro doc didn't get it correct..

pineview01
on 2/3/14 11:14 am - Davison, MI

I agree with most of what Kate said.  But, if the band is slipped up onto the esophagus and holding food there, I feel it is very important to get the fluid removed asap.  You don't want a tight band there.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active