Lap Band & Serve Acid Reflux

beverly102
on 6/16/14 11:31 pm

I had my lap band surgery done in 2011. I haven't had my band filed for over a year and a half. I haven't had any problems until about 2 weeks ago. I have been having serve acid reflux. I went to my PCP and they diagnosed me with Gastroparesis. I am going today to see the surgeon who put in my lap band. I'm just wondering if anybody else has had any problems with acid reflux and vomiting. What did your doctor suggest?

Hislady
on 6/17/14 3:52 am - Vancouver, WA

I didn't have problems with it until my band was empty for 2 years. After my band was removed it is horrible! I have to take 2 prescription strength meds trying to calm it down. Since I can't get scoped because of other health issues I am being treated for an ulcer hoping that will calm things down. If you have alreay been diagnosed with gastroparesis you will most likely need the band out, the longer it causes acid the more damage that is being done. Excess acid can eventually lead to esophageal cancer so don't put it off.

pineview01
on 6/17/14 12:48 pm - Davison, MI

Hislady it doesn't look like this is an acid issue and the band most likely will have to beremoved to hopefully stop any more damage to the vagus nerve;

Gastroparesis is a condition in which your stomach cannot empty itself of food in a normal fashion. It is caused by damage to the vagus nerve, which regulates thedigestive system. A damaged vagus nerve prevents the muscles in the stomach and intestine from functioning, preventing food from moving through the digestive system properly. Often, the cause of gastroparesis is unknown.

However, the causes of gastroparesis can include:

• Gastric surgery with injury to the vagus nerve

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Hislady
on 6/17/14 3:41 pm - Vancouver, WA

She mentions acid reflux in addition to the gastroparesis. I have the gastroparesis too andit is such a pain in the rear. I feel like I'm gonna explode all the time even when I eat small meals all day long. It's so painful and I can't get anything done to fix it because of my lousy lungs. Blech wish I could get my hands on just one executive from Allergan in a back alley one night, I'd put some hurt on them like they put on me!

pineview01
on 6/18/14 9:49 am - Davison, MI

Beg pardon, you are so right!  I went back and re-read!  That will teach me to speed read a post.  She has two thing going on too.  Maybe some day you will be healthy enough to get it fixed.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

annie0039
on 6/20/14 1:06 pm

Reflux can occur when the band is too tight, and yes I read that your empty BUT scar tissue that develops under/around the band can also create this problem. Gastroparesis is another band complication as well.

Sorry your Having Problems :(

Most Active