Question about fill....

JAPONTE
on 7/8/14 10:46 pm - Lutz, FL

I had a fill yesterday for the first time in a while since having some complications.. I have some belly ache now is it normal for some swelling and will it go down and give me a bit of less restriction?

Kate -True Brit
on 7/9/14 12:33 am, edited 7/9/14 12:34 am - UK

I don't think there is a simple answer to this. My personal experience was that the degree of restriction I felt when I ate the yoghurt my doc always gave me after a fill was the degree I kept. I suppose someone very sensitive might get swelling round the band but I have never understood why! It's only like tightening a belt the tiniest possible amount. Why would the tissue under the band swell?  IMO, people just feel tight immediately because it is a new level and then get used to it! 

And equally, I can see no logical reason why the effect of a fill might not be felt for a few days! The band isn't going to magically tighten. The amount of saline doesn't change, tissue isn't going to swell.

So when people talk of a delayed reaction, I don't say it can't happen! Some people are very definite that for them it does. But physiologically I can see no explanation!

but what do you mean by belly ache? If you mean below the band, a fill shouldn't affect your main stomach/intestines at all.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

JAPONTE
on 7/9/14 1:03 am - Lutz, FL

Thank you for all the info it's very eye opening to have someone else explain something so simple to you.. And as far as belly ache I ment I feel nauseous if i drink more then a couple of ounces and i get the hiccups that hurt.   

Kate -True Brit
on 7/9/14 1:06 am - UK

Hm!  Sounds a bit too tight! I would suggest phoning your doctor. Even if he says to give it a few days and see what happens, if he knows there may be an issue, if you do need a bit of saline removed, he will probably count it as the same fill - doesn't matter if you don't pay, matters if you do! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

JAPONTE
on 7/9/14 1:28 am - Lutz, FL

Thank you so much again I am going to call them just to make them informed!

Bette B.
on 7/9/14 1:37 am

Kate's advice is the best. If you are not able to keep even small amounts of water down without pain, hiccups or vomiting, you may have had too much of a fill. As little as 0.01 cc can make a big difference.

Call your doc today and get an appointment to have some out. DO NOT let this go past Friday. Trust me- a weekend of overfill is a weekend of misery.

BTW - my doc always make me drink water BEFORE I leave the office to make sure that I'm not too filled. If yours doesn't suggest it, do it anyway, before you leave. A few sips to a few ounces will let you know.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

JAPONTE
on 7/10/14 1:50 am - Lutz, FL

He did have me drink and I felt fine the issue came hours later.. The situation is feeling better now the pain is going away and im able to keep liquids down.. This forum is amazing.. Thank you..

Bette B.
on 7/10/14 2:46 am

Good to hear. How are you doing with food? Again - if you're having any issues, I strongly advise against going into the weekend with them. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

JAPONTE
on 7/10/14 3:06 am - Lutz, FL

I haven't had solid food yet but I ate a yogurt this morning and I had some mashed potatoes for lunch.. I haven't been real hungry I'm going to try to make some soup for dinner.. If all goes well I think that I am adjusting to the fill and if not I will go to the doctors office tomorrow.. the nurse told me two days of liquid then move to soft.. Whats the recommended time on soft food? 

JAPONTE
on 7/10/14 3:10 am - Lutz, FL
Most Active