Does anyone know how long can you keep your band empty?

angcolon
on 8/3/14 11:26 am - waters edge, CT

I am a 7 yr veteran and  18 weeks pregnant with twins. I had a major stuck issue and had to empty my band back in March. Not thinking any about it I said I'll give myself some time and get a fill in a little bit. Well I end up pregnant and sick so I hold off. Then I get my ultra sound and find out we are having twins so I don't get my fill. I went on Google to see how long I can keep my band empty without causing any damage. And to my surprise I can't find any info. Does anyone know if there is a time limit to having your band empty without causing damage to your band? 

Thanks,Ang

Hislady
on 8/3/14 1:13 pm - Vancouver, WA

I was empty for 2 years before I got mine out, I can't imagine how it could hurt your band. Now the band may cause you harm empty or filled from scar tissue build up between the band and your stomach. Lots of women have gone empty while pregnant with no problem. You may find it difficult to get back to your "sweet spot" after giving birth lots of people do, so you may have to really work harder to get the weight to stay under control. Good luck and congrats on the baby!

Kate -True Brit
on 8/3/14 10:10 pm, edited 8/3/14 10:10 pm - UK

I have come across many people with empty bands but not come across one for whom being empty caused problems. But that is purely anecdotal - you need to ask your doctor.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Bette B.
on 8/4/14 10:38 am

I know of people who have had their band for ages and have never had a fill AT ALL. I non-medical guess is that you could keep it that way forever/ But of course, you should talk to your doc.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

cheyenne000
on 8/5/14 11:01 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I had mine empty for about 10 months with no problem.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Karen D.
on 8/7/14 2:59 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Mine was empty for about 2 or 3 years (I've lost track).  Had no problems but still got food stuck so for me, it wasn't a free ride to eat everything.  Even empty I still had restriction. 

Good luck!! 

Nic M
on 8/7/14 6:26 am

Mine was always empty when I was banded. It still did some amazing damage to my guts.  But I think it may just be luck of the draw... some of us get damaged horribly and some don't.  I think it's more dangerous to have fluid in the band than to have it empty, personally. The band itself likely won't be damaged, but you might end up with scar tissue building up, regardless if whether you have fluid it in or not. If you notice any discomfort, reflux, left shoulder pain, etc. contact your doctor immediately. 

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope all goes well and it's completely uneventful. Here's to healthy babies! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

roseygirl
on 8/10/14 2:31 am

Complete unfill in 2009 when pg with my 2nd son. Stayed unfilled til removal in 2012. Even with unfill still threw up a lot!

kaytiebugs
on 8/11/14 7:23 am - Flowery Branch, GA

I'm one of the people that could never ever get the sweet spot after pregnancy. :-/

Most Active