Starting Over? Needing Advice.....

ReplayQueen
on 12/23/15 11:49 am
VSG on 04/18/17

Hi Dixiedog,

I'm so glad you're going to give your band another chance. I too have been suffering and have an appt for a fill next Tuesday, December 29, 2015.

I was banded back in 2003 and went from 301 lbs to my lowest of 167 lbs. I then found a resting weight of about 170 lbs. I had to have a revision of the band about a year after it was placed, and that scared me but after that I was moving the same pace of those in my support group that had the gastric bypass or RNY.

I started putting weight on after having a slippage and having the saline removed almost completely. Without any restriction....the weight started coming back as well as my poor eating habits of eating fast (like the food was going to grow legs and run away if I didn't gobble it down). I'm up to over 230 lbs now and I'm desperate to have a fill and START OVER!

I hope you do the same and I'm going to be checking because you've motivated me. You're not alone and I'm not either. I'm going to be 55yrs old next year!

As far as the relationship and job.....those are some heavy changes in your life. Give yourself a break honey....you've got a lot on your plate! (oops, probably not the best analogy) :(

Love and hope.....my new bariatric sister!!

ReplayQueen

Kazzy2
on 12/17/15 10:46 am

Hi Dixie Dog

OK like you I was in the same boat, I lost about 20kg in the beginning (never got to goal), then over the years I put it back on after having a major unfill after high altitude and bubble in the lap band meant I could not eat - fluid removed and all ok.  I had not been able to find the Green Zone again since then, I have for the past 6 years doing the fill unfill fill unfill game.  

I am now at my highest weight and have decided to give the lapband one last chance before considering a revision.  I do not want a revision, I am self pay.  So decided it was much less expense to get the band working again, seeing my lapband nurse weekly for small fills until the weight loss starts again.

This was 7 November, fronted up after a few years of ignoring it all - that did not work! gained another 8kg in ignorance!

I asked for small fills as it was going to be like being banded once more - getting used to the rules, listening to your body and learning when to stop again.  I was really hanging out to get to that point when you don't want carbs and sugar.  I could remember this time but could not get there before.

So first fill was .2ml,  not a whole lot of change, but think a little swelling which soon stopped a few days later - lost a few hundred grams, then another .2ml week after that, same again and lost 500gms, back the next week etc etc I am now down 3kg - most of it the last 2 weeks as I am hitting the Green zone now with my fill level, honestly once you get back to this level it is much easier looking for protein not carb crap.

So I just wanted to be a positive story for you, that it can be done.  Do you know what size fills you were getting before? It sounds like they were too much for you?

And pizza - well I am just not interested again - and I was back to eating normally 3 pieces no problems before my fills.

I am eating mainly protein, full and not looking for more.

You can do this, baby steps and baby fills.  It is worth another chance, you will feel better for you as this sounds like a tough time for you right now, 

All the best

Karen

kootenay
on 12/18/15 10:27 am - Canada

Hi Dixie -

I hear the disappointment in your story but you can change this around.  I applaud your effort at starting over and would like to suggest that a therapist - specializing in eating/wellness - to help you navigate the coming year.  You have an awful lot on your shoulders.

The best way to learn how the band can help you is to find out what is going on in your mind/heart that encourages you to turn to food.  I often wished the band was around my brain and not my stomach. 

Also - some gentle exercise such as walking to get you started.  I find that when I am active, I am more mindful of the food I consume.  Also - walking does wonders for relieving stress and anxiety.  I often resolve problems or strategize while walking or running.

I know you can do this  - losing weight, whether with a band or any other tool, can be done.  YOU can be successful!

Kootenay     banded in 2006    SW:  225   CW:  118

Ask me how I got rid of my keloid scar!

goasklisa
on 1/31/16 11:13 am

Hi there,

Im new to this forum but felt like responding to your post and supporting the others was the right thing to do. I had a lapband in Sept 2009 at 217 pounds (im 5'2"). I had lost 30 lbs before the surgery, and at my top weight, was 247 lbs. Although I had many pictures to show me what I looked like, I still couldn't believe it was me. I was diagnosed with Diabetes at 40 years old (Im 53 now) and was on a lot of medication, needed insulin, and was tired, depressed and apathetic. I felt dishonest presenting myself as a clinical social worker when inside I felt as bad as my patients, or worse.

After struggling to lose weight on my own, I had the Lapband. There have been ups and downs, tight days, hungry days and vomiting...but in comparison to my life before the band, I remind myself I can do this. I weigh 130lbs now, exercise often, and use the clinic and programs for support whenever I can. You can do this...it is a huge mountain, don't underestimate that. All of us have made sacrifices to be here...lets continue to support each other.

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/16 3:58 am, edited 1/5/16 8:04 pm

I had a successful lap band two years ago, with the help of a medical tourism company. As my insurance didn't cover the surgery in my own country, I chose to have the sleeve abroad, because of quality and good prices. Now, the thing is I was really confused, maybe a bit scared but having Placidway's support was helping me a lot. That's to say, I chose South Korea to have my lap band and overall, it was a highly successful experience (both travel and medical). If you need any weight loss tips, advice, procedure, PM me and I will gladly help you out... 

sheriberi29
on 1/7/16 6:59 am - Cleveland, TN

Good luck on your fill today ! I wanted you to know that I'm gonna join you on this restart journey and see if I can get back on track. I know I'm having problems with my band but I'm gonna buckle down to make sure I'm really giving it my best try ! I have regained 35-40 lbs back and am starting today with getting back to the basics.... Drinking plenty of water, no liquid calories unless it's a healthy meal replacement, no sugar, no junk, and 3 small meals per day ... The last one is hard for me as I have earned the nickname At work and home as " the nibbler" 

so let me know how your feeling after your fill and maybe we can help each other along . 

Dixiedog
on 1/7/16 7:44 pm

Ok...  Had my apt with my surgeon from 2007 today.  I was so nervous. He is all business and very intimidating to me.  I went through all the updates with the nurse and waited for him to come in.  He came in and sat down, then said he wanted to start off by telling me not to hold myself responsible for not being successful with the band. (not his exact words, but something to that effect) I then proceeded to bust into tears! I just really needed to hear that. He said that such a high percentage of patients are unsuccessful with it that he doesn't even do the procedure anymore.  He didn't want to "mess" with a fill.  He wanted to check things by doing the swallowing xray thing to see if it has moved or dilated my esophagus or anything. I have that scheduled for Feb. He recommended the duodonal switch. That is a big scary surgery and I don't think I'm interested in it. The  sleeve can stretch... They weren't sure if my insurance would consider it. So that's where I am. Interested to see what if anything he will see from the swallow test. I might see if my primary care Dr will give me an RX for Phentermine. I love that stuff. It's the only thing that has ever helped me. It gives me tons of energy and takes food out of my mind. I think its bad for you though. I just need a boost, so I'll have some energy to start walking, etc. Work is crazy, so I get home and want to put on my jammies. So the saga continues. I'm going to try and find a new therapist who works with food issues.  I saw the other one twice and I dreaded going back because I felt so bad when I left bringing up everything.  Lord knows I need it. On top of everything else.... I had to put the one and only "Dixie Dog"to sleep on Christmas Eve (13yr old black lab) . She was my heart, my fitness buddy when I walked everyday. I've still got a little fru fru pup, but she was my girl.

Most Active