Revision to sleeve. Please no hate!

C J
on 2/16/16 2:37 pm, edited 2/16/16 5:13 pm - , TN

First I would like to say congratulations to all of the successful bandsters.  I tip my hat to you.  This post is for those struggling, and those sitting with an empty band in their bellies thinking that it is latent and therefore doing no harm.  Don't be so sure.  This certainly wasn't the case for me.  I researched the band tremendously, and was very comfortable with my decision to have the band...so in 2008 I had lap band surgery.  At first it was okay, but was never exceptional.  I struggled with things getting stuck...esophageal spasms....POOR WEIGHT LOSS, and ultimately regain plus 40.  I was so depressed because I was starving, and had to constantly worry about food not going down.  In 2012 I had to have the band removed because of complications, and swore I would never put myself thru that type thing ever again.  WELL.....I couldn't stand the weight battle so I had sleeve surgery 1/19/16, and it has been the best decision I have ever made.  The recovery was much harder than the band, but so worth it.  The surgeon said my surgery was very difficult because of the carnage left behind by the band.  My band was empty more than not, and had been gone for 3 years, yet when he cut into my stomach, scar tissue "fell out".  He said the band had really messed me up.  I knew I had complications, but I thought the time the band was empty coupled with the removal would spare my stomach....I couldn't have been more wrong.  I have lost 25 pounds since surgery, and feel better than I have in 20 years.  I am so happy.  I really wanted to share for those on the fence about revision, and those who think an empty band isn't harmful.  Also, I had a perfectly normal Upper GI before sleeve...so to say the doc was surprised to see all of the damage is a huge understatement.  Again, congrats to the successful ones, but if you are having trouble....stay in touch with your doc....get it out if you can....and if you are considering revision.....I say go for it!  But, don't take my word for it....research, ask and pray.  Thank you for taking the time to consider what I am saying, and please please please...no hate. :*

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Nic M
on 2/17/16 9:51 am

Best of luck to you with the sleeve! I hope you'll have nothing but smooth sailing. 

Reading your words resonated with me. My gastroenterologist told me that the band really messed my guts up, too. Tons of scar tissue. The band can be very damaging. It might be "less invasive" to place, but it sure "invades" in other ways. 

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's good for other people to know that they're not alone. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

C J
on 2/17/16 12:31 pm - , TN

Thank you.  I was afraid to post bc I didn't want to upset anyone, but I had such a terrible time....I wanted folks to know that empty bands aren't harmless, and scar tissue can be very problematic.  Thank you for your response.  I do love my sleeve.  I hope it stays this way.  It is everything they promised me the band would be!!!!!

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Nic M
on 2/17/16 3:26 pm

I can't imagine why anyone would get upset at all. It wouldn't be very sympathetic of them to get upset because you were honest about your experience. I'm so glad to hear that your sleeve is a positive experience for you. Continued success! 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

ShaunaBinks
on 2/17/16 10:38 am
RNY on 03/16/16

Great post! I am scheduled for RNY on March 16th I had the band for 5 years and it was great- until it wasnt and started messing up my esophagus. I lost 70 lbs, had it removed and gained 90. UGH. looking forward to my  RNY operation. Congratulations on your results!

C J
on 2/17/16 12:33 pm - , TN

Yay!!!!! Please keep me posted on how your RNY goes.  I am amazed at the difference I am experiencing.  I bet you will have the same positive results that I am having.  Plus, I think it is easier to convert to RNY after band...so hopefully your recovery won't be horrible.

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Flaxie
on 2/20/16 2:42 am
RNY on 03/15/16

I am having RNY on 15 Mar.  I had my band out Oct last year and have been steadily regaining since then. I lost 100 lbs with the band but was never well, battling with reflux and constantly losing the majority of whatever I ate. I am loving not having the side effects but feel so unhappy with the return of insatiable hunger, can't wait to have he bypass and have my eating under control again. I never thought I would have to buy bigger clothes again, it just feels terrible. Roll on the 15th!  All the best to you for the 16th!

C J
on 2/20/16 12:37 pm - , TN

You will love not having all of the negative things the band brings, PLUS lose weight.  Good Luck!

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Dibaby45
on 2/23/16 7:54 am

Don't be surprised if you still have the hunger after RNY revision. I didn't at first but after the first 4-5 months it just came back. I was really bummed. Some people never get hungry with the RNY but I just wanted you to be aware in case they sold you on that with the surgery. 

Surgeon: Dr. Heydari. Lap-Band to RNY bypass. Surgery June 23, 2015.

Hislady
on 2/17/16 8:30 pm - Vancouver, WA

Thank you for giving hope to the thousands of people who "think" they are safe just leaving the band alone inside them. It isn't safe at all it causes gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying) in many  people and that isn't something you can feel or know about unless you do an emptying  test. As you said the scar tissue issue is another whole can of worms to deal with. Only someone who has survived the band can understand the devastation it inflicts on us. I wish you much success with your sleeve!

Most Active