lap band with Lupus

ifeedabee
on 6/1/06 2:26 pm - Yelm, WA
has anyone had a lap band put in who has Lupus? I have read on some web sites that you can't have it if you have Lupus.
madame yess
on 6/26/06 5:01 pm - MI
Hello, I have lupus and was just diagnosed with Ms as well. I did well with the lapband but now with MS I was adviced to get it unfilled. It will be decided whether or not I will need to have it removed in 6 months. so far so good and I am still losing weight. Just make sure that you are not flaring when it is put in. Madame Yess
R C
on 12/24/06 6:59 pm - VERO BEACH, FL
Dear catherine - I to want to have the lap band and have lupus - did you have the surgery - if so where-when - and how are you - I am very much wantingto discuss this with someone - rose
ifeedabee
on 1/7/07 2:05 pm - Yelm, WA
Dear Rose, Yes I have SLE and was banded in august. It was a piece of cake. Hardly any pain with surgery. I have had 3 fills and have lost 40lbs. It has not affected my Lupus at all. It is not better and not worse either. I have had no problem with the band. Go ahead and do it, you will be so glad you did. Neither my bariatric surgeon of Rheumy had any conscerns about it. Cathy
BetsyJane
on 2/2/07 7:46 pm - TX
I have Lupus and was banded in November. so far no effect on the Lupus except as I carry less weight, I'm needing less pain med. One thing to think about is that you aren't supposed to have any NSAIDs after banding. I'm using chewable Tylenol...not as effective, but I'm needing less as time goes on anyway. The other thing is that you'll be crushing your meds to take them. I was advised to take them with applesauce, but that didn't make them any less bitter! I take mine and then put a chewable multivitamin in my mouth and chew away the taste.
ifeedabee
on 2/3/07 8:24 am - Yelm, WA
Betsy, I was banded in Aug and have lost 40lbs and 60lbs altogether but my pain is no better of course I still weigh 345 so maybe you are not as overweight as me. The trouble is that I also have fibromyalgia. I can take my meds whole and my surgeon said i could take Ibuprophen if i take Prevacid or Prilosec also. Thanks for the reply. Cathy
dnacht
on 12/15/07 9:29 am

I had been diagnosed years ago with MCTD and fibromyalgia, as well as being told that I possibly have MS.  I had the lapband put in March or May of 2006.  I had NO significant loss of weight, which I am attributing to the fact that I had been on prednisone the entire time as well as perhaps the band not being tight enough.  I went off of the prednisone about 3 months ago (still, no real weight loss) and then had the band filled up entirely.  I am most DEFINITELY starting to lose weight (finally).  I would suggest that you check with your doc to make sure you won't need any type of steroid therapy (that he/she can tell) in the future so that you won't become frustrated over WLS that doesn't seem to be effective.  Also, make sure that your doc is willing to work with you regarding fills because it really seems more crucial when you have autoimmune issues.  Take care and good luck!

Leigh N.
on 2/9/08 11:36 pm - Senatobia, ms
I'm in the process of being diagnosed, and my dr. thinks it's Lupus.  I was banded 5 years ago.  What I'm realizing is that with disease (it's definitely auto-immune), my band gets tighter.  I assume it's during flare-ups, even small ones.  For example, flare-up in my hips means my band is tighter.  Flare up in the wrists, band is tighter.  It's really wierd. The problems it's causing are that it's much more difficult to eat.  It takes me forever to eat anything, and during the day I try to eat mainly raw foods (which are already difficult to eat w/out a tight band!).  I start the day with a 450-500 calorie deficit due to exercise, and right now I'm not losing any weight.  I believe it's because i"m not getting enough calories.  I suppose I'll make an appointment with my LB surgeon to discuss the effects of this disease on the band.  I may need to get some fluid taken out. 
angiboo4u92
on 7/13/08 6:50 pm - lake elsinore , CA

I have had Lupus (SLE) since before I was 12 years old. I've been through cytoxan (chemo therapy), solumedrol (high dose steroid therapy), ferisulfate ( high dose iron therapy), Epogen injection therapy,, prednisone, dialysis, renal failure,, 2 kidney transplants, post transplant anti rejection therapy (more chemo), rheumatoid arthritis therapy, and type 2 diabetes therapy. And I'm only 33. Over the years, due to all this, I've gained a significant amount of weight. Gastric bypass surgery seemed so drastic, when this option was available. 

This forum is the most encouraging, because of my situation, this gave me hope and good advice. I'm going to schedule my surgery next week. My Lupus is currently not active, due to anti rejection meds from my kidney transplant. My surgeon says that I am considered "high risk", but he is still willing to do the surgery. He comes highly recommended, his practice was featured on the Tyra Banks show and Oprah.  

I feel like a lot of my worries were put at ease since reading all of your comments. I hope this gives encouragement to others that read my comments. I feel like if I am able to do it, than anyone with the right help and non-active lupus can also.   

annharding
on 10/23/08 11:47 pm - stevenson, AL
I just went for a consultation with a surgeon yesterday.  My doctor told me that he will not do the lap band on me due to my Lupus.  Is there anyone who has been sucessful with this surgery who has Lupus.  I was very dissapointed when he declined to do the surgery. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1741 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2057 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2177 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2957 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4688 views