VERY cool topical pain med...has changed my life!

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/09 12:05 pm, edited 5/30/09 2:12 pm

A week ago, I went for my regular appointment with my rheumy.  I was having very bad pain in my knees (combination of too much weight and SLE), and she gave me a topical med called Voltaren Gel. 

She rubbed some on the worst knee, and within minutes...I was WALKING PAIN-FREE!

I have since started walking without my cane (combination of Voltaren and losing 91 pounds!), though I'm still feeling off balance to a degree, but I can manage to walk through the supermarket now with a regular shopping cart.

The great thing about this drug is that I apply it with my hands, and that knocks out the pain in my joints there as well!

Just sharing info that may help my fellow lupies, I don't work for the company that makes the stuff! 

kimie S.
on 5/31/09 6:54 am - Belleville, Canada
WOW!!!!!
Is voltaren gel a presciption or over the counter?
I would love to try it on my knees, hips, shoulders........hell maybe I'll take a bath in it if it works....Ha Ha.
Kim

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/09 8:49 am

Kim-

It is a prescription drug.  I didn't know this, but it is apparently the topical version of a pill, for people who can't take NSAIDS gastrointestinally.

Mine required prior authorization, but then again, I'm on Medicare part D (disability).
kimie S.
on 6/1/09 12:58 am - Belleville, Canada
Thanks Jazzbabe....I was doing some research and it looks like it is available here in Canada so I'm going to talk to my doc and try it.
Thanks for the info....

Just a thought.....correct me if I'm wrong....

As for not being able to take this topical ointment after surgery. I don't understand why not, it won't be going through the pouch so it wouldn't really matter if 1% gets into the bloodstream.

That's not the worry that the doctors have with NSAIDS....it's the fact that in a pill form it may irritate the lining of the stomach and cause ulcers etc.... And because the pouch is so small and the acids in the stomach are not working as they were prior to WLS the pills don't metabolize like they should. So it only makes sense that because this ointment isn't going through the stomach it won't cause ulcers right?????

I think it would be more than safe to use it....Kim
(deactivated member)
on 6/1/09 1:04 am

That's how my rheumy explained it to me!
Jeane
on 8/17/09 8:14 am
 WOW  I am going to ask my internist about it.   I take plaquenil for lupus, but still get joint pain..

angpanj24
on 2/25/10 11:17 am
Hello, i am new to this site, and am so glad I found it. I was told I have Antiphospholipid Syndrome,(hughes syndrome) and was also put on plaquenil. I wasnt told what it was for, any chance you know, seein as you are on it too;?
CheekyMonkey
on 5/31/09 8:44 am - Isle of Wight, VA

I was using Voltaren gel before surgery. I used it on my knees as well for my SLE. My WL surgeon told be I could not take it after surgery because it was an NSAID and 1% can be absorbed thru the skin and get into the bloodstream.  I am only 5 weeks out and I think he and I will have to revisit this in the future. I find it hard to believe that 1% would be just like me taking Mobic or Celebrex orally. By the way, Voltaren is almost the equilivant of Mobic tab. in gel form. My Rhuemy did not want me to take Mobic when I used my Voltaren cause it was like NSAID overload and could cause stomach discomfort. Ha! Don't have to worry about that now. I'm glad you have found something that works for you Jazzbabe and I think it is great that you are off your cane. I have a bunch of refills left on my Voltaren....Hope I get to use them. In the mean time I am using Lidocane patches. They do Okay but are difficult to keep on at night. I should have unlimited refills on those. LOL

I USE TO SKINNY DIP...NOW I CHUNKY DUNK!

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/09 8:53 am

That's funny...my rheumy told me that Voltaren Gel is specifically for people who cannot tolerate NSAIDS as pills!

I'd check it out if I were you!

I have a DS, and I can take NSAIDS if I need to, but this is so much better !
kimmypierro
on 2/18/10 1:36 am - Dallas, GA
I'm new to posting I hope I do this right. Thank you ladies.  My name is Kim and I live in Dallas ga. I just found out that I have lupus and it's not under controll.  I can deal with the pain but it's the burning that I can't stand.  Does anyone have this and if so what do you take, WIll that voltaren help with the burn. I have other things wrong as well. I went to the hospital yesterday because my pain was so bad.  Also I'm looking in to start a lupus support group or if you know one in the area please contact me.  I can be reached at [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics
Planquenil
imkewar · 6 replies · 1737 views
Lupus flares
jane235 · 5 replies · 2054 views
I need some advice
jhadsmith · 0 replies · 2173 views
Testing symbol
Kathy S. · 0 replies · 2953 views
Test
rockybuddy · 1 replies · 4683 views