Denied surgury in Minnesota

David G.
on 1/11/07 12:49 pm - Cozumel, Mexico
My buddy wanted me to ask this question for him: He doesn't get on the computer that much. He weighs around 370 BMI 54 and is diabetic and has sleep apnea and a few other problems related to his overweight. He has been to Unity in Minneapolis as well as Southdale-Fairview. Both places refused to do the surgery on him as they said he "wasn't a good candidate", something about not being able to stay on a diet very well??? This wasn't his insurance that turned him down (never got that far), this was the Dr's. So, he is thinking about going to another DR in another area or another State or something, but is wondering if he should tell the new Dr that 2 other Dr's already turned him down. He obviously has to tell the new Dr what meds he is on, so they will probbaly find out about his 2 previous denials. Just thought maybe someone would have an idea for him. DavidG
Dx E
on 1/11/07 1:05 pm - Northern, MS
Hey Dave!! Just popped by your profile! You're doing GREAT!!! Congratulations! Your friend? Did he say what their reason was? If it's from his Psyche - Eval, He could set up sessions with a Psychiatrist To get counseling or meds. I've seen some do that. If it is drinking? (which is another common "No-Go" for most clearance) he could get help with that as well. Most important is- Some people AREN'T "Good Candidates" for success with WLS. If that's been determined, Then rather than waste the time, money and risks of WLS He should approach the obstacles from another angle. Maybe he should ask- "What WOULD make me a "Good Candidate" for WLS Success?" Then work toward that goal first. I'd recommend he find-out what the problem was exactly, And address that problem. Hope it all works out for the best for him. As for your success? Keep up the Great Work! Best Wishes- Dx
David G.
on 1/11/07 1:15 pm - Cozumel, Mexico
HI Dx, Yep, it was the Pshche and the Dietician who nixed it for him. He said they told him he doesn't seem like the type to stick to a diet. DavidG All is well in paradise.
alwuetrich
on 1/11/07 9:14 pm - Hopkins, MN
Hi David, I live in the Mpls area and have gone through Park Nicollet. They have been wonderful. All the nurses have had the surgery and they are very supportive. I had even put everything away because I wasn't sure if I wanted to go through with it, but all of a sudden I got an approval letter in the mail one day from insurance and hadn't done anything. I realize this hasn't been an insurance issue, but I know they know what they're doing and if there's a way they should be able to do it. Al
Shane Johnson
on 1/11/07 10:25 pm - Olathe, KS
David, I was very worried about the dietician and psyche eval when I went in to this whole process, especially getting denied and turned away. I think that your buddy's problem may not be so much that he is not a good candidate for the surgery (the stats speak for themselves from the physical perspective) but more likely that he has not accepted the lifechanges that come along with it. (Trust me I am reading a bit into this but I have seen it from other people's experiences). I think that the mental preparedness and attitude going in are just as important as the surgery itself. I'm from the midwest and a lot of guys here don't like to get all touchy-feely with the psych or nut but if you are not honest with them then you are just hurting yourself. Perhaps your buddy went to these appointments in the wrong frame of mind. Not sure how he feels about it but maybe you can join him for the first appointment with the psych, it's nice to have a familiar face and someone to give you a bit of confidence that can look through your facade and realize whether you are being you or if you are putting up a show. I agree with DXE, your buddy needs to figure out what the real cause of the denial was and work through those issues first. Hope this helps and is not too "Dr. Phil" (can't stand that guy, but he does make sense from time to time). You might encourage your buddy to get into the locker room, the guys here will definitely give some good advice for getting yourself moving in the right direction to be a success. I've always said the best way to get even is to prove someone wrong. Take care, Shane
TomL
on 1/12/07 10:45 am - Bradford, MA
Tell him to lie his ass off. J/K...I hope it works out for him.
Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 30 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 66 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 89 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views