OT: Property tax assessor appeal

Scott William
on 2/4/07 2:34 am
There is OT and then there is OT. I have asked the town I live in for an appeal form for my property tax assessment. I feel that my assessment is high. Here is the thing, though. I have no idea what to do to prove that I am right. Does anyone have any experience with this. What documentation do I need to show them that can prove my case? Do I have to research other properties ? It is possible (probable) that nothing will change and I am fine with that. I just don't want to go to the board unprepared. Any help would be appreciated. Scott
sjbob
on 2/4/07 3:03 am - Willingboro, NJ
First of all, make sure that your town has their facts straight. Are they assesssing you for property or improvements that you don't have? I say this because my father got a reassessment on his home several years ago and noted that the town's description of his house was wrong. They showed it as being larger than it is. My father knew that his house didn't grow so he submitted exact measurements of the house to the tax man and asked the assessor to come out and see for himself. My dad's measurements confirmed the prior measurements and my dad beat city hall.
Scott William
on 2/4/07 11:27 am
Checking the facts would be a good start. Thanks Scott
FatManWalking
on 2/4/07 3:22 am - Deep in the Heart of, TX
RNY on 12/11/06 with
I have had my real estate broker and mortgage broker licenses for many years. While I do not work in residential real estate, I know the tricks, and have been investing in and flipping real estate for years. Do you know any real estate agents? Have them prepare a comparative market analysis of your property. The Realtor will have access to the sales data of any properties similar to yours which has changed hands recently. If the numbers are significantly under what your tax assessment is, use the Realtors report as ammunition that the County Tax Appraiser has his head up his, well in the clouds. However, you may discover that your property is worth a lot more than you thought, in which case you would want to hide the report from the County Appraiser and bite the bullet on the tax bill. Good luck, I have used this technique to get reductions before. I hope it works for you. JP
Scott William
on 2/4/07 11:29 am
Thanks. It never occurred to me that they may be right. Thanks for the tips. Scott
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/07 4:05 am - Houston, TX
Hey Scott... JP is right....In houston...big town, they have realestate web sites whre you can go and see whee houses in your neighborhood what their Square footage was and what they sold for.... the home owners association may have some of that info too.....in my neighborhood, all the houses have the same footage, just different layouts...so we are able to bat that down quick, when the need arises...when a house goes on the market we check don't forget the maximum percentage yearly increase.... best of luck get locked and loaded Russ
Scott William
on 2/4/07 12:00 pm
I found a site that may help. Thanks for the idea. Scott
Paul Gubrud
on 2/4/07 7:10 am - Pelican Rapids, MN
Scott, You may have two arguments. First that your property is appraised at value greater than it is worth, or that for some reason it is taxed higher that it should be. Our county has an official protocol to appeal property taxes called a Board of Adjustment. I'm sure every county or municipality in the U.S. has something similar. Call the county assessor's office or your municipality to find out when and where it is held. Then do your homework so you can present your argument as to why you have been assessed at a higher rate than you believe is fair. I have sat in on several of these meetings as a local township official. Property owners often make the argument that their property isn't worth what it appraised at, but they are wrong most of the time. The county assessor has been able to show that similar surrounding properties have been on the market for higher prices than most people realize. In my experience the people responsible for assessing the property value are fair and will be willing to review your case. Usually the property owner gets a bit of a break, but not as much as they wanted. Although it won't help immediately, the other thing you can do is to get involved with your local government. They are the ones that set your property taxes. A lower tax levy means lower taxes for you. Go to your city council, county board, and school board meetings and express your opinion that they should be more careful on how they are spending your money. Hold them accountable. It is your right. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. May Your Lantern Burn Bright, Paul
Scott William
on 2/4/07 12:02 pm
It is finny that you mention getting involved a little. I have been thinking about that lately. For a few bucks, it may not even be worth the effort. I am checking the facts first, though. Thanks Scott
GoingMobile
on 2/4/07 9:06 am - San Dimas, CA
I have heard horror stoies about real estate taxes in Texas. Take a look at Zillow.com know that the prices seema bnit high but you can see what asll your neighbors ahouses are worth.a dn if any sold you can see how much. Good Luck
Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 30 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 30 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 52 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 83 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 106 views