Surgery again...

Jim Parker
on 5/16/11 7:08 am - TX
RNY on 11/02/10 with
Some of you may recall that after I had my RNY procedure, while I was recovering in the hospital, I had a massive umbilical hernia that "popped out" when I was getting out of bed to walk...  Well, that kept me in the hospital for a second day, and part of a third before they would let me go home.  I've been living with this "outie" (rather large "outie" at that) ever since, but it hasn't caused me any problems - until last week.

One day last week, as I stood up from a lengthy meeting, my belly button kind of "exploded" with pain.  Instead of a "squishy" mass in that hernia area, it was suddenly rock hard, purple, and excruciatingly painful.  Not fun at all, let me tell you.  I went back to my office, laid down on the floor, and spent 30 minutes trying to a) keep from passing out from the pain, and b) trying to "reduce" the hernia.  (Reducing is the process by which you basically push on the protrusion until it "pops" back into your gut.)  It took pretty much a full half-hour, and left me drenched in sweat and as shaky as the first time I stood up after the original WLS procedure...  

I called my surgeons' office immediately, and they had me come in for an exam.  Long story short, I'm scheduled for hernia repair surgery on Friday morning...  They will go in laparoscopically, push/pull everything back where it belongs, and then insert a piece of mesh up against the outer abdominal wall, and "tack" it into place with stitches.  He'll then "pack" the belly button "hole" area on the outside with gauze padding, and put a piece of plastic over it, then bind the entire belly area with an elastic/velcro band to keep it from "popping out" again.  Sounds like fun, eh?  NOT!  

Oh well, I knew this was coming eventually...  I've been living on "borrowed time" since the day after surgery, and I'm just glad that I'm in a lot better shape to handle the recovery now than I was when I first had the WLS.  I'll be back on my feet in no time, I'm sure.  Meanwhile, wish me luck on Friday!
Don 1962
on 5/16/11 7:48 am, edited 5/15/11 7:48 pm
Jimbo that sounds serious!

Will pray, swing chickens, sacrifice a virgin (if I can find one ) that all goes well Friday.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

cabin111
on 5/16/11 8:46 am
Hope the surgery goes well for you...Now the strange question.  At a local support group meeting we had a women go in for a hernia repair and while the surgeon was there he did a tummy tuck at the same time...2 in 1!!  Wouldn't hurt to ask if he can tighten the skin while he's there??
Grandpa-G
on 5/16/11 10:35 am - Grandville, MI
 Hey Jim - so sorry to hear about your hernia.  They can be a real pain.  I had an umbilical hernia from a Lap gallbladder surgery 14 years ago.  My WL Surgeon repaired it when he went in for my RNY.  Did the stitching and mesh...I've had no problems since.

So hang tough!  Sorry you have to go under the knife again.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Praying for knowledge and steady hands for the surgeon and all who care for you, as well as a speedy recovery so you are back out there enjoying this "new" life!

Take care and keep us posted on your progress!

God Bless!  Mike

Eating junk food and CRAP is not a reward...it's a punishment...
  it's a DEATH sentence...Reward yourself with Good Health!
Highest Weight: 287 Lbs-January 2010; Reached Goal 195 Lbs - Dec 2010 
Total Lost: 92 Lbs;  Completed FULL MARATHON (26.2 Miles) 10-16-2011

OneFinger
on 5/16/11 11:09 am

Very sorry to hear of your hernia. I can't imagine the pain.

A co-worker had the same problem just before his RNY. They did the mesh repair during WLS and it's worked well for him.

You've made so much progress that I'm sure you'll be able to handle it with no problems. Best of luck on Friday. Hope you don't have to rush back to work on Monday.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Beam me up Scottie
on 5/16/11 11:43 am
Dude,

For anyone else that might experience this.....you should have gone right to the ER. Hernias can be serious, esp. when they get strangled.

Scott
Paul C.
on 5/16/11 1:47 pm - Cumming, GA
Jim,

Sorry to hear about this set back.  If you handle this surgery anything lie your RNY then you will be up and ready to get back to business in no time.  My prayers are with you.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Michael P.
on 5/16/11 9:33 pm
Hey Jim,  So sorry to hear that but I have no doubt that you'll be back in the saddle in no time.  Best of luck on a speedy recovery.  -- Mike

9/9/09: Highest Weight: 506.5 lbs              9/20/10:  Tufts Start Weight: 492.4 lbs
2/7/11:  Surgery Wt: 462.5 lbs.                  9/16/12: Current Weight: 287.8 lbs.
4/15/12:  First 5K - BAA 5K - PR 35:49
johnbertak
on 5/17/11 3:05 am - MD
Jim: So sorry to hear of your innie-outie deal - sounds like you're a tough guy - you'll get through this just fine - and have a great looking naval to show off above your thong Speedo this summer....Seriously, good luck and we'll be waiting to hear how you're doing.  All the best,
Pop-Pop

kenhud1
on 5/17/11 10:11 pm - Houston, TX
Jim, sorry to hear about the issue. I have faith that you'll be up and around again quickly. Ken
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Most Active
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Recent Topics
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 60 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 80 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 3 replies · 93 views