Do steaks and eggs really taste bad after RNY?

Brian121
on 10/18/11 10:00 am, edited 10/18/11 1:53 am
I've seen a lot of people say things like steaks and eggs taste bad after RNY, but they are mostly women (a little more finicky about taste in general). So is this true, guys -- do you find steak, eggs, or any other hearty foods just don't taste so good post-RNY? If so, what food and just how bad is it, really -- on a scale from barfing to just not as great as before?
Dave T.
on 10/18/11 12:06 pm - MN
still like the steak just like it a lil rarer now, the eggs r ok too

Tim T.
on 10/18/11 8:36 pm - Eastham, MA
Steak and eggs are still awesome for me- steak must be lean and not overcooked-eggs over easy or scrambled or omlette w/cheese. Scrambled are slider stuff for me-goes down easy- keep in mind it's only a couple ounces of each. If you're only going to eat that amount - eat well!! Enjoy

Tim

Don 1962
on 10/18/11 9:30 pm
Can only do poached or well scrambled eggs.  If they are undercooked I'm on the throne.  Steak, hell yeah!  You buying? 

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Jeff Gudim
on 10/18/11 9:35 pm - Gonic, NH
 I have no problems with steak, with eggs after surgery i couldnt stand them because i didnt like the taste of them after chewing them for so long....but now every morning i have scrambled eggs with cheese, sausage crumbles & hots.....YUMMY

Highest weight-544/Started WLS program -520/Surgery weight - 457/ =Goal weight - 287
dowalker
on 10/19/11 1:00 am - Fishers, IN
Both are fine, except for hard boiled eggs. Have a problem with them now.
Also I like my steaks rarer now. Seems from the answer here, most people do. Wonder if it is because it is "juicer".

Doug

Paul C.
on 10/19/11 1:20 am - Cumming, GA
Fried, deviled or Scrambled with cheese are the only way I touch eggs and they are pretty nasty except deviled.  I only eat them because they are quick.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
cabin111
on 10/19/11 2:36 am
Some of it depends on which surgery you've had.  For me (RNY) the first few months you test everything.  Some things that don't sit well the first few months will be ok months or years down the road.  Somethings will never still well the rest of your life.  In general the easiest proteins to digest the first few months are dairy, chicken, turkey, tuna.  With all of these you may need some mayo or have the meat cooked in a certain way to make it easier to go (and stay) down.  I was told to wait a month or two to try steak (beef).  Beef is harder to digest and may not sit well with the pouch.  I would always test new stuff at home...See how my pouch handles it.  Have alittle...Wait a few minutes...If it feels OK down there I will proceed.  I would have to chew the meat to a puree type of stage early on...Most RNYers have to do it that way early on.  When you get to pork, lamb, wild meat, and fried food of any kind (KFC, Chinese food, cream soups [heavy on the butter] they have never sat well...Even 5 years out.  I can eat them in small amounts but not large amounts.  Also fried taste different post op...You taste the grease more.  Some people can never go back to beef...some can never go back to eggs.  It just don't sit well post op.  Some people become lactose intolerant.  Many people's bodies can't take beef for awhile...6 months later they try it...No problems.  The body has adjusted and they are fine.  No 100% on any of this... 
jdm511
on 10/19/11 10:13 am - Ballston spa, NY
Steak did not always settle well for the first six months. Eggs settled best as poached for about the first six months. Now Steak and eggs settle just fine and taste great.
Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 25 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 25 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 56 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 80 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 93 views