Sorry to impose on the mens forum but I have a vitamin question

pitablond
on 11/6/11 7:43 pm - Harrisburg, PA
Hi guys! I hope you don't mind me stopping in here quick. My hubby will be going through bypass in the next month or two. I am very nervous about this but I am trying to be supportive and get as much info as I can. I wanted to ask your opinion on vitamins and ask which you prefer? He takes a Mens One a Day now. I really can't see paying a fortune for the ones at our clinic and a cousin who had bypass takes Flintstone Chewables. But are they good enough for men as well?

Thanks in advance!

~*Ashley*~ Highest weight: 330ish   Current weight: 198

atl252006
on 11/6/11 7:56 pm - Chicago, IL
My doctor recommended the Flinestone chewables for me, so far all of my labs and bloodwork and everything keeps turning out normal, so I assume the flinestone chewables are doing their job.

pitablond
on 11/6/11 8:32 pm - Harrisburg, PA
Awesome, thank you!

~*Ashley*~ Highest weight: 330ish   Current weight: 198

sjbob
on 11/7/11 1:31 am - Willingboro, NJ
 I just use whatever vitamins are on sale--usually CVS or Target.  Have your husband start looking at this forum.  He may want to contact some of the men here.  I also suggest he look at the Diet and Nutrition Forum and the forum for the appropriate surgery he will have.
Charlie S.
on 11/7/11 8:15 am
My doctor doesn't allow the Flintstones.  He says they have to be "Adult" chewables.  (However I know a bunch of people who take them with no problems.  That being said, I take VitaCrave chewables or Centrum Chewables.  Both can be found at WalMart, WalGreens, or CVS...

Good luck to your husband, and good for you for looking out for him.  Encourage him to get on here and chat with folks.  I learned ALOT from the folks on here and continue to.  

HW:  429                     SW: 380                Height: 5'08"

kenhud1
on 11/7/11 9:50 am - Houston, TX
Let me jump in here. Flintstones are NOT adequate for adult RNY patients. There are several adult chewables on the market. Most of the multis will do fine, but you must have an adult vitamin ... Two of them a day. When he begins calcium, be careful of any multi with iron since iron must be separated from calcium by at least two hours or he will not get the benefit of the supplement.

My suggestion is to look at the website For the American Society for Metablic and Bariatric Surgery, ASMBS.org. They have a good section on vitamins. It is important to learn about vitamins and supplements since many surgeons and PCPs really shortcut this part of care. You must advocate for yourself in this area.

If you have other questions, there' are several people on the RNY board who are well versed on the subject and happily answer questions.

Best of luck to the hubby.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Paul C.
on 11/7/11 10:17 pm - Cumming, GA
I don't even give flinstones to my kids.

2 Centrum (they do have a chewable) should be good be enough. Make sure it is a complete and has Iron.  As for calcium you will want a Calcium Citrate. 

At first you will want a chewable form for the first few months since swallowing pills can be difficult.  I have been unable to find any chewable citrates so you may want to look at something like the Baratric advantage chewables until swallowing a pill is an option.  A second option for calcium is Upcal D which is a powder you can put in your drinks.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
OneFinger
on 11/13/11 3:06 am
It's so nice to see a post from a supportive wife looking out for her hubby. Glad he's got your support.

My doc also advised against Flintstone. It's also important to make sure you take the vitamins at the proper time. For example, you want at least 2 hours separation between a "normal" chewable vitamin and the calcium. So, here's my routine:

6:00 a.m.: Centrum Chewable,  B12 Sublingual (this is the kind that you put under your tongue and it "melts"), Biotin - 4000 mcg (helps with hair loss issues).

10:00 a.m.:  Wellesse Calcium & Vitamin D (liquid)

2:00 p.m.:  Wellesse Calcium & Vitamin D (liquid)

6:00 p.m.: Centrum Chewable, Biotin - 4000 mcg (helps with hair loss issues).

10:00 p.m.:  Wellesse Calcium & Vitamin D (liquid)

Best of luck to your husband on his surgery.

High Weight = 310     Surgery Weight = 300   Dr's Goal = 200   My Goal = 190    
Most Active
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 11 views
Recent Topics
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 11 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 42 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 74 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 99 views