Boring!

Brian K.
on 5/10/12 9:13 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12

Fellas,

Any suggestions other than Chicken, Turkey, or Fish for high protein during phase 3 diet? having a nice talapia tonight but lunches on the run are tough.

Brian
Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
cabin111
on 5/10/12 10:25 am
Have you tried; tuna, cottage cheese, string cheese, luncheon meat, plain nuts chewed well...just a small amount to see how you handle it, peanut butter (just peanuts...the kind you refrigerate...no oil and sugar added...read those labels), almond butter, roasted soy nuts, plain yogurt with a very small amount of fruit (example 2 blueberries or 1/2 a strawberry).  Just some ideas...It's a trial and error period right now.  What doesn't sit well now may sit well in a few months.  In a month or two you can proceed to beef.  I wouldn't at this time though...  Use things like salt and pepper, non fat mayo, Mrs. Dash, be creative...Trial and error. 
cabin111
on 5/10/12 10:37 am
Here is another popular one over the years...An OH sandwich!!  Usually done at about 1 month out.  Take a large dark green piece of lettuce.  Put inside some string cheese, lean luncheon meat (chicken or turkey), small amount of non fat mayo, mustard, salt and pepper.  Chew a very small amount well.  Repeat, chew a very very small amount to puree stage...Good eats.  I learned this one early on and it was a big help...Real food with crunch!!
lesserman
on 5/14/12 11:42 am - Chicago, IL
Damn!! That sounds good....I'll bet that Jimmy John's copied that and called it an unwich...seriously...who would think of that, other than someone who has undergone WLS?
Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

billmacc7
on 5/10/12 11:18 am - MA
Hi Brian,

All great ideas from other posts. I know for me they gave me a book with recipes and food suggestions for all the stages I went thru. If they did not give you one, if you do a google search, there are a great number of sites for folks like us who have had WLS and some guidance and suggestions as to types of food that work well. As noted above, it is really a trial and error period...hoping more good trials than bad errors!

Best,
Bill
docd
on 5/11/12 1:53 am, edited 5/11/12 1:54 am - AZ
Everybody makes fun of it but I like a thick slice of spam lite (also comes in individual packets for one in the shirt pocket on the run) between thick pieces of lettuce and tomato. In all, 12 grams of protein and 170 calories.

If you haven't tried it in a while give it a look.

I'm a tuna fish fan too.

Greek yogurt with a squirt of sugar free Nestle's quick.

Wendys chili is a good fall back too, but a few too many carbs for me on the weight loss phase.
"Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!"

highest weight : 428   Banded 11/3/2011 surgery weight : 386
lesserman
on 5/14/12 11:47 am - Chicago, IL
OH!!! SPAM!!!

That never occurred to me, but I'll bet that I can have it!!

Yesterday, I had a Bob Evans lean pork suasage patty...just one...filled me right up!!

Loving this being truly full on a tiny amount of food!!!

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

Andrew L.
on 5/11/12 2:58 am - Klamath Falls, OR
RNY on 04/11/12
I made a spread the other night that was very good. 

2 can tuna
3 hard boiled eggs
mayo and mustard to taste(just a little mayo)
Pickle relish.

Dang good stuff.  I made extra for the family and they all loved it as well.
ACLakey's Bariatric Blog

Highest Weight 06/2011 = 370
Weight at Surgery 04/11/2012 = 328.8
Goal Weight = 230

Sam LifeNerd
on 5/11/12 2:59 am
 I got really sick of shakes during the earlier phases, but there is a good 30g protein shake at Sam's club.  $20 for 12 of em or so and the volume is small for the amount of protein!

A breakfast shake I personally drink is 3 scoops of unflavored protein powder (30g protein) and Crystal Light Orange Sunrise mix and the Orange flavored vitamin powder that also have the calcium!!  (Got it from Celebrate I think it was)

It is basically like drinking OJ, but again, I have protein, 1/2 my vitamins for the day and 1/2 my calcium for the day all at once!!

Look at re-fried beans or black beans that you can heat up for lunch?  Bit of low fat sour cream...

Wendy's Chili if you have not already had some...

Venision.... if you have a supply

Beef Jerky....the "nuggets" kind is usually soft enough I can grind it down with my teeth good enough to keep my pouch happy.  You can get it everywhere too which is handy...

Velveeta cheese (made with 2%) milk has become a snack for me that I LOVE.  Protein is "ok" but beats other candybar type of alternative snacks...or chips, etc.  I get a whole block and then slice off just a bit to eat before I go to gym, or in the evening when I get a craving.

Finally...NO protein but great snack is Sugar Free popcicles!!

Brian K.
on 5/11/12 3:24 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Thanks everyone,  I am in my first slump here after feeling awesome right out of the gate... Lots of drama at home and feeling run down... Not hungry at all but trying to keep up my intake of fluids and protein. Did make it to the gym last night... 1 hour of treadmill at slower than my usual pace, any exercise is good exercise.
Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Most Active
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Recent Topics
Memorial Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 1 replies · 29 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 61 views
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 75 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 97 views