Setting new goals

Sam LifeNerd
on 5/21/12 12:07 am
 So, on my original visit with the Psych and my Doctor / NUT, I was told I would lose from 30-40%, so for 355 pound guy, that would put me from 210-245lbs.

I secretly wanted to be UNDER 200, but wanted to not set myself up for disapointment if I "only" got to 225 or whatever.

The "normal clothes" goal was really my biggest deal and I hit it a month or two back when I started wearing 38s and XL.

So now... I am 214.6 as of this morning, only 4.6 pounds from the LOW end of their goals/expecations.

I decided about 5 weeks ago I wanted MORE...  I was exercising occasionally and saw the success of Mike and others with C25k and asked myself, "If I was a 225 guys that should really weight 170-180 what would I do??"

Since that point I am working out now 3-6 days a week, I cut back out some of the junk food that was slipping in.

So, I wanted to get some thoughts (and tech support) from some of the OL' timers in setting a "reasonable" goal?

From a tech support point of view... if I post up 209 pounds and my goal here in OH Tracker is 210, does it show as -1 (below) goal or?  (In the widgets)  If so that is kinda neat..if it breaks the widget...

Under 200 is a definite goal for me now...trying to be patient, "only" losing around 6 pounds in a month the last couple of months so I might be 2-3 months from that.

September 21st...is my 1 year mark.  So that is 4 months... possibly 24 pounds which would put me at 190?

Is this reasonable...am I setting myself up for disapointment?  Oh I should mention I am five foot, 9 inches (or a bit under), and BMI to be "normal" is 169 pounds...

I would LOVE to be "normal" and not overweight.  But I also don't view the BMI scale as the be all, know all scale..too many variables...

Fitness, my goal is to run a marathon...  running a 5k "Mud Run" in 2 weeks and a road 5k in July...goal is to be running for close to an hour on M, W, F by the end of summer (nearly a 10k in my lunch break!!)

Thoughts, suggestions!?  Even the newbies like me are welcome to share your thoughts and opinions too.  I just am thinking the guys that have been at maint for a while might remember back to their doctors original numbers, etc.

TIA for the thoughts!

Paul C.
on 5/21/12 12:57 am - Cumming, GA
 Well I am not a big fan of a goal being a number on a scale.  When we were fat we let the scales dictate who we were and how we felt about ourselves.  Why continue this behavior rather than focus on who we are now and what we have and can accomplish.

In addition to that you do know that on an individual basis the BMI charts are total crap right?  BMI Pits your weight against your hieght to try and determine how healthy you are.  Would you be suprised to know that some extremely healthy people are actually considered obese according to the BMI charts.  BMI was developed to express the over all health of a population, they knew the number they wanted and developed an calculation to support it, in essence it is made up math.  In todays world Body Fat % is a much more accurate scale when compared to the BMI.  BMI takes nothing into consideration other than Height and Weight where BF% Is the difference between your lean muscle weight and fat weight.  An avg man is considered normal with a body fat % in the 19 - 24% range.  

Look at it this weight.  You want to be say 190 (for ****s and grins) you carry 170 pounds of lean muscle.  it would take a significant amount of work to get down to that BF%. Which would be considered Atheltic.

When I get to the point I start questioning if I am happy at my current weight versus  20 pounds lighter I put it in context of what could I do or how much better would I be able to do something 20 pounds lighter.  

Could I run longer?
Could I run Faster?
Can I sit somewhere I can't?
Can I ride something I can't?
Will my family love me more?
Will my friends like me more?
Could I be better on the bike than I am now?

Really the answer to these questions is all no.  Would somethings be easier? Possibly cycling uphill would probably be easier 10 pounds lighter, but then I look at friends who weight more than me and cycle so much better than me and I realize it is training.  If I train I will run faster and longer I will cycle better.  Nothing I currently do would be enhanced if I weighed less, except my mental state because I still see a fat person in the mirror.  I have accomplished many things I never dreamed possible even as I attempted them. I have set goals that I never believed I would ever attempt.

I let what I have accomplished and what I can do along with how people see me define who I am. I'm not saying I don't fight the scale because to be honest I do, but I don't worry about a normal BMI but rather how I feel about the weight I am at.

Hope that makes sense.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Sam LifeNerd
on 5/21/12 3:18 am, edited 5/21/12 3:19 am
 I can certainly see not tying myself to a specific number, that is exactly the kind of thoughts/advice I am looking for!!

I am looking at "healthy" and I def agree that the body fat % is probably THE method to use if we are going to use "numbers" to go by!

I remember at 330 / years ago, I had a scale and it showed approx 50.5% body fat, so I would guess 160-165 lbs of lean weight.

Some of that probably was lost during this, I know it is nearly impossible to not lose muscle mass, I am def not as strong, etc.

If I went with 160lbs, then at my current 214, that puts my BF% at 25.2%.  So that is already a huge improvement from the approx 55% I would have been at 355.

Depending on who does the table, I am getting closer to being out of the overweight and into acceptable ranges, etc.

So at 190, 30 lbs of fat, that would be 15.7% BF, in the middle of the "Fitness" range... 

I really don't have a number in mind other than under 200 "would be neat"....  As you said, I don't know that I will be any faster or have any other goals that I cannot current accomplish NOW vs 20-30 lbs lighter than I am now.

I DO have some goals...but they are fitness related, would like to start doing pushups, and CHIN ups (gasp), and move up the running chart.  (5k, 10k, 1/2, full......more?)  

Just finished Day 1 of Week 5... of Couch 2 5k.  5 min x 3... 2.55 miles including the 5 min warmup/cool down, avg for the 30 minutes was 4.57 mph, I am "running" between 5-7 mph (10:00-12:00 pace) and walking portion is 3.x.  

Top speed was 7 mph (8:30 pace)... I used ENDOMONDO to track myself today, trying to find the right app for me.

BTW, great pics in the other thread!

Paul C.
on 5/21/12 6:07 am - Cumming, GA
 What you might find if you lose more weight is that you look more unhealthy than you did at a higher weight.  I know it has happened to others.

One approach might be to trade fat pounds for Muscle pounds.  this falls in with fitness goals and as hard as it may be to believe it is possible to be 220 and wear the same size clothes as someone how is 190 well pants anyways as the shirts are gonna be tight on your muscles!

In fact I currently weigh 225-230 and we wear the same size clothes unless I want to impress my wife then I wear 36 jeans LOL.

I can also tell you for a fact that weight may have some to do with speed and endurance but it is more the training.  I have a friend that is a bit heavier than me and he can out run my ass without trying!  but he has been doing it for 4 years.

as for fitness goals 5K and anything is possible if you work for it.  On the exercise and Fitness forum we have people who have finished Ironman races, Century runs and rides.  We have some people that do as many as 200 miles on the bike over a weekend.  

I will say that once you add miles the rules of the game start to change.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
cabin111
on 5/21/12 7:57 am
When they told me in my pre op appointments that I was a medium frame I just laughed.  No, I played football in high school...I was a lineman!!  Sure enough they were right...I am a medium frame.  My feelings (check with your doctor) as long as you do not go below 2% body fat (excluding excess skin) you should be OK at any weight.  That is what I have heard over the years.  My surgeon set a goal for me at 190 #...I agreed.  I shot down do 187 and started to freak out...I was worried I wouldn't be able to stop losing and start withering away in some rest home.  I started eating everything in sight to prevent the weightloss.  Big mistake.  If I would have used my surgeon's partner for my surgery, he would have set my goal at 180 #.  Your body will let you know when you should be done losing.  As you hit your goal add a small amount of complex carbs (fruit, whole grains), your body will stabilize at that time over the months.
billmacc7
on 5/21/12 1:34 pm - MA
Hi Sam,

Great thread you got going. I have to say I have a very familiar story to you and Paul.

I began my WLS at 346, Surgery 326, Today 197. Like you I had a goal to get my weight under 200 pounds. I have been able to achieve that and am now about 18 months post op. However, the key for me now is MAINTENANCE, ie doing the things that have gotten me to this point like: Intake 64oz Water; Calories 1800 or less daily; Exercise on a daily basis. Some days it is relativley easy, other days a STRUGGLE, but a worthy one.

In terms of exercise, I completed the C25K program. I have now run 2 5K's and am registered for a 3rd. When I was a kid I played sports but as I got older and fatter, just could not do it anymore. One of the best things for me in terms of this journey is being able to be active again.

Whatever goals you set for yourself, the achievement is not the most important thing, but rather the effort in making it happen is!!!

All the Best,
Bill
Most Active
Father's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 10 views
Recent Topics
Father's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 10 views
Sunday Weigh In
82much · 2 replies · 45 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 73 views