Secrets to success

Tim T.
on 9/10/12 6:48 am - Eastham, MA
 Here's a short list for you noobs who are contemplating or sharing our journey for a better shot at success- just my thoughts and actions this last year or so...

Know your full signals (burp- sneeze -runny nose- gut cramp- whatever) recognize it- it's telling you your meal is over regardless what's left on your plate

Dense protein- meat, chicken, fish eggs always go down the hatch first, then veggies until full signal kicks in (see above)

Keep bread, pasta, rice, white potatoes to an absolute minimum- your body burns this stuff off first before it gets to the fat cells- don't keep throwing stuff in the way 

Don't drink your calories- sugar free- low calorie or no calorie- water- dehydration will eff you up faster than anything- so keep going all day with that stuff- except during and at least 20 to 30 minutes after your meal. Your new gut is like a funnel- you don't need to be flushing out stuff faster than it exits on it's own

Take a reasonable bite- then put your fork down and chew- enjoy your food- don't inhale it- finish swallowing- then pick up your fork and take another bite- regardless of how anyone else at your table are displaying their eating habits. My family is usually in the friggin' car by the time I'm finishing my last bite!

Take your vitamins and supplements religiously- a deficiency will creep up on you and could be a problem while you're trying to play catch up- I was iron and calcium deficient on my 6 month labs- which you should be doing in regular intervals- I was taking them every day- apparently not enough of them- you've come too far to fix one thing and screw up something else in the interim

Exercise is an integral part of your lifestyle change- give yourself a fighting chance by moving your body as much as possible- the lighter you get, the easier it gets, trust me- when your body is done burning fat, it will burn muscle and you need to build that back up. Start slow, because if you injure yourself trying to pump up too fast, you won't be able to do it at all, and that sucks.

Lastly, for now, don't bother yourself with people telling you you've lost enough or too much, or you look sick, or cop an attitude because you now weigh less than them- you're doing this for yourself and no one else- although lenghtening your lifespan may benefit your immediate family- I've seen it all and heard it all in a short year- and if you let it bother you it will drive you nuts- 'cause you probably will be hearing it every day for a while until people get used to seeing the "new you".  Stick to your plan- and get it done!!

Just sayin'

Tim T.

dan434
on 9/10/12 9:12 am - NJ
RNY on 05/22/12
thanks for the advice tim good stuff

Brian K.
on 9/10/12 12:44 pm - MA
RNY on 04/23/12
 Tim,

All great stuff! With your permission I will add this post to a Men's forum FAQ I am going to put together... I know there are other FAQ's around but this one will be from man town, in man speak!
Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
Tim T.
on 9/10/12 2:18 pm - Eastham, MA
 you have my blessings

Don 1962
on 9/10/12 1:34 pm
Timbo -

Ya missed one!

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

kenhud1
on 9/10/12 6:07 pm - Houston, TX
Words of wisdom!
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

MarkES
on 9/11/12 3:04 am - Oshawa, Canada
Great info Tim...
Thank you!
Mark

Ref Jul 4, 2012,  Orientation Aug 27,  Surgeon Aug 31, RD Sept 18,  SW RD & RN Oct 18, Internist Nov 5, Surgeon Nov 21,  PATTS Nov 29, Surgery Dec 14,2012 (HRRH - Dr Sohi).

Daniel-L
on 9/11/12 7:38 am - OR
RNY on 01/26/12

Tim,

I have one to add as well. Keep reading this fourm. It will be the best support you can get anywhere.

d

Allen Y.
on 9/27/12 1:09 pm - Garland, TX
 Sage advice

Joshua B.
on 9/27/12 11:54 pm - Ridley Park, PA
VSG on 12/05/12
Great post, and especially helpful to someone just starting out on this journey, such as myself....

Most Active
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Recent Topics
Drug test Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 28 views
Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 64 views
Eclipse Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 86 views
Easter Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 96 views