Declaring victory over regain! ...and some observations

chrispy_man
on 8/8/13 5:01 am - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
I want to thank everyone for the great advice. So I am declaring victory over my regain. Today I am officially in the 240's. I stopped losing weight at about a year out. Then over the next 18 months I gained 35-40 lbs. earlier this year I got serious and went back to basics. Food log, water, walk. Now at my lowest post surgery weight.

A couple of cool stats. I figured out that I need to be in the 700-900 calorie range to lose consistently, even while exercising. My true caloric needs seems to be about 1600 calories per day at this time. My loss rates are similar across pre surgery, post surgery and after the honeymoon, which I think is pretty awesome. Over all 2.8 lbs per week.

Chrispy

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

Brian K.
on 8/11/13 8:50 am - MA
RNY on 04/23/12

How is your energy and stamina? Mind the intake as you get closer to goal... I never ever operated at sub 1200 calories except right after my RNY...

Hug your kids every day, let them know they are loved, keep them safe the best you can.
Men's Forum FAQ here: docs.google.com/folder/d/0B5YeHu9A2ZfYcVJhUlVHeVVFWE0/edit
chrispy_man
on 8/11/13 9:30 am - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
On August 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM Pacific Time, Brian K. wrote:

How is your energy and stamina? Mind the intake as you get closer to goal... I never ever operated at sub 1200 calories except right after my RNY...

Energy and stamina are good. I actually have stepped by activity level up a lot over the last several months. I was surprised by the calories as well. I've been working with my surgeon and nut on my nutrition plan. Keep in mind that I was still about 100 lbs overweight when I started this and still have about 50 to go. I will monitor closely as I approach goal.

Its definitely interesting that this turned out to be true in my case. It explains a lot about my weight loss history. All the indications I had were to be over 1200 and up my protein but for me it wasnt working.....

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

Member Services
on 8/11/13 9:55 am - Irvine, CA

We are doing the happy dance for you!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

chrispy_man
on 8/29/13 9:30 pm - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
Well this has been an interesting few weeks. I have kept up getting my activities in but did bump my calories up somewhat, closer to 1200-1400. My weight loss trickled down to a stall. Though I can't be sure that is the only factor because I also added weight to my weight training. However I have not seen an increase in lean mass to explain not losing. I measure % Body Fat and % Lean at least weekly. This week I dialed down the over all calorie count, focusing on Protein first of course and getting the proscribed amount in. 60 Grams accroding to my NUT. Now the scale is moving again, so maybe I needed a refeed/break. Looking back over 30 days, 9 lbs lost, so heck of a showing anyway.

Big issue I am dealing with mentally has been expectations. Specifically how to deal with the in between moments where I do not have a constant feed of demonstrable success. Meaning if I go a week without losing what does that mean to me? I'm sure others deal with this I have seen the posts. I have started focusing on the mantra of one day at a time. Practicing daily "Getting on track", making it habit because we all know practice makes perfect.

My current goal is 240 which will be a huge milestone. I am eeking my way there. Te reason it is a big deal to me is it is my surgeons goal from WLS AND it will mark 200 lbs lost. I will be doing the happy dance then!! After that I am going to shoot for 220. When I reach 220 I will be able to say I have loast as much as I weigh. That should make an interesting byline!!

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

chrispy_man
on 9/9/13 1:30 am - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
Updating on this thread in case anyone is interested. I have reached my goal of 240 Woot Woot! So very excited about that. Not being one to lolygag I am going for 220 next!

I've continued to monitor my food intake and excercise levels. I have stayed pretty active daily. Over the weekend I biked 15 miles and went Kayaking. Again I cant say I am 100% perfect with following my food plan but hitting 80%+ and wake up every morning and start over. Practice makes perfect.

The numbers seem to be bearing out. I truly believe my daily requirements to maintain weight are about 1600 calories. My NUT "planned" calorie level whi*****ludes protein first is between 700-900 calories per day. My exercise level burns between 450 and 900 calories per day. So using these numbers for the math:

1600+450 = 2050 calories needed per day
2050-900 = 1150 calorie deficit
3500 calories = 1 lb
1150/3500 = .33 lb per day or 2.3 lbs per week

This tracks very closely to what I have seen reflected on the scale, If I increase activity level I see more progress. If I vary the calories up my weight loss slows or stalls. In theory I could step up my intensity levels but I dont think I have much more I can fit in lol. Chrispy

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

Most Active
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Recent Topics
Mother's Day Weigh In
Don 1962 · 2 replies · 34 views
Cinco de mayo Sunday Weigh In
Don 1962 · 4 replies · 61 views
NFL Draft Sunday
Don 1962 · 5 replies · 85 views
Drug test Sunday Weigh In