To doctor Almanza Patients. Knowing all the risk and the mix reviews why did u still go

ebroady23
on 9/12/11 5:41 pm
Knowing all the risk and the mix reviews why did u still go? Are you happy with your decision? Will you do it again? If you could have changed something, what would it have been? Is there something you wish you were aware of before hand?
hollykim
on 9/13/11 11:30 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I still went with him because there were many,many satisfied posters who had been there. There were also some posters who felt they had a horrible experience and were not pleased at all.

Common sense told me that that  is the law of averages. Some people are going to have trouble and or complications.and some are not.
 Even in the states,this is true,some posters have no trouble,some have complications.

I was one who did not have any trouble or complications  and my experience was what I was expecting. A lot of it has to do with surgeon skill and I think he is very skilled. A lot also has to do with what kind of physical shape people are in when they have surgery. Someone on this forum was bashing him because their mother  had a leak,but they also posted a picture of the person smoking a cigarette out in front of the facility on their surgery day. They were out there in their gown and an IV in their arm,smoking!

Now,everybody knows smoking slows and impedes healing from surgery. Could she have caused her own leak cause her tissue was not staying together well because of smoking on her surgery day? Sure she could have! Is this his fault? Not hardly.

But we never get to hear the other side of the story,the side that went on at the facility,the surgeons side. We don't know what kind of shape people were in that might have caused problems. Chances are good that if those same people had surgery in the states,they would still have the same trouble,cause we don't know what kind of shape they started out in.

I typically don't recommennd him or not anymore,it causes too much fluff and I had my fill of that back during my surgery time. I simply tell people that I  used him and my experience was good though I know some peoples experience was not good. End of discussion for me.

Emily F.
on 9/16/11 8:51 am
The law of averages??? Would you pick a plumber that has some bad reviews and some good? No, people are choosing him bc he is cheap. People are being blinded by money instead of their health.

I would not risk my health over THAT many bad reviews. A couple thousands dollars is just not worth it.
hollykim
on 9/18/11 12:11 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I might...

Emily F.
on 9/21/11 7:52 am
On September 18, 2011 at 7:11 PM Pacific Time, hollykim wrote:
I might...
 Then I pity you for valuing your life so little. I hope you now know you are worth more than that.
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 6:16 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Some people are desperate to be healthy and/or thinner.... and will risk their lives, even with a sub par surgeon with a history of high death and complication rates. I guess they are hoping that they will be the lucky ones.
Msbfree
on 10/6/11 2:36 pm - Red Oak, TX
Good question,,
Let me say this first, almost everyone that I have met worked in the medical field in one way or another,  that have had this procedure over there  . I did choose Dr Almanza because he had done the procedure more than other providers. So armed with that knowledge and my own research regarding this procedure I had no fears,,  I myself know that the pampering, and the over precautionary behaviors that we practice in the US medical environment dont really translate the same to other countries. And more importantly ,if I had thought after my research there was a true danger, I sure as Hell would not have done it... But as it is I went there got my sleeve and came back home... And that was it...... .. And I am so happy for it...

blue.roses48
on 11/15/11 12:18 am - Irrigon, OR
 I had my surgury on 3-8-11 and now I am under 5 pounds from my goal weight.  I am real happy with Dr. Almanza.  I read all the posts and then started looking at other Dr's, but in the end I came back to Dr. Almanza.  Yes it was largly due to the money.  

I am realy happy with the care and results I got from Dr. Almanza and his staff.  His facility was real clean and welcoming.  One of my friends from work has allready gone to him and had surgery.  She was also happy with the results she recieved from Dr. Almaza.

csanddex
on 11/20/11 2:35 pm
I went for a band over bypass and agree with hollykim on the law of averages. I had rny in the states and all the dramas that happened there happen here. If you are relatively healthy and a non smoker going in, you'll likely have a good result. My stateside doctor would not take smokers for the rny because they were nearly guaranteed a complication. I'm glad I went.
SEXYBBW86
on 12/10/11 12:50 pm
i did my sugery  3-2-11 with dr almanza and am 100 pounds and am very happy and i agry with all the people on here that went to him it was very clean and the staff was great
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 269 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 456 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1065 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1632 views