Nervous about Mexico? Don't be, read this

ORFranP86
on 10/5/11 12:20 am
 Whew it's over.  Now to get on with my life.  Oh yeah, you didn't look at this for that reason.  ;)  I was so scared about going to Mexico.  I had these really bad pictures of Tijuana as this border town of bars and brothels.  Despite the pictures online, I just knew that it was going to be substandard.

Let me set your fears to rest.  First off, I had a Gastric Plication with an EndoFlip upgrade by Dr Corvala-Lopez at Angeles Hospital in Tijuana.  From the first SECOND I arrived, it was a first class experience all the way.  

I was met at the door by a Patient Care Coordinator.  I was ushered through a spectacular, absolutely gleaming lobby to the lab and xray for pre-op work.  Then we took care of the paperwork, and I paid the balance of my bill.  Then it was upstairs, where just a few minutes later, I got to meet my anesthesiologist, and surgeon.  In went the IV, down I went to surgery.  

My care was better than ANYTHING I have ever received here in the states, the room was large and private.  The daybed for my partner to sleep on wasn't great, but he said that it was too bad.  There was a very comfortable reclining chair though.  

The cleanlinest was impeccable.  They were seriously in my room 3 times a day cleaning.  Try to match that in the states.  The level of detail in the cleaning was amazing.  Someone was always cleaning the hallway floors. 

As for my personal care, as soon as I rang a bell, boom they were at my door.  I was so seriously impressed.  Don't worry, this part is the least of your concerns.  You will receive personal care beyond anything you experience here in the states unless you are used to a personal nurse.  No I did not have a personal nurse, but pretty darn close.  

Bottom line, this was a great experience, and I know I would have appreciated having this info prior to my surgery.  Good luck, rest easy.
Mary C.
on 10/5/11 3:41 am - Glovertown, Canada
Hi - I have been trying to find out more info on the procedure you had done. Is there a web site or link you can give me? Thanks! 

ORFranP86
on 10/12/11 4:07 am
 Where are you going for the surgery?  I went to Angeles Health, Dr Corvala-Lopez.  I would do this again in a heartbeat!  On Angeles Health.com, there is a place you can sign up for a webinar that is well worth the time to sit through.  They explain the surgery, and talk about the before and after care. There are also videos on You TUbe.

cookielu46
on 10/24/11 4:29 am - AZ
On October 5, 2011 at 10:41 AM Pacific Time, Mary C. wrote:
Hi - I have been trying to find out more info on the procedure you had done. Is there a web site or link you can give me? Thanks! 
I Mary, I'm Lucille. If you are interested in seeing the Gastric Imbrication surgery. Go on the internet to "you tube" which is a good site for anything you might be researching. Type in Dr. Daniel Cottam, Imbrication surgery. He is an excellent surgeon in Salt Lake City, Utah. U.S.A. that I'm thinking of going to..... along with my Mexico option which would be cheaper for me. However, Dr. Cottom has a video showing the Imbrication procedure, which I was quoted a price of $12.500 USD.  They cut nothing, only fold the stomach into itself and suture it up to a smaller size.  He uses the endo-flip high technology monitor to accurately size the stomach correctly so it's not too tight or too loose for best results.  If I went for the Imbrication surgery. I would only let Dr. Cottam do it. Or a surgeon comperable to his excellence and who uses endo-flip.
Check it out.  Hope this helps you.
Lucille (cookielu46 on this site)
lavendargirl1
on 10/7/11 12:54 pm
Thank you. I am scheduled for next wed 11/12 and have been nervious. Your thoughts and experiance helps.
Emily F.
on 10/9/11 12:30 am
May I ask why you chose pilcation with so little research done on it?
ORFranP86
on 10/12/11 4:11 am
 I chose plication because it seemed to be the most conservative approach.  It is reversible if there are issues.

IF you have a sleeve, if there are complications, it's not like they can sew the removed stomach back on.  

I chose not to have the lap band for a variety of reasons, first off because introducing a foreign object into the body increases the opportunity for infection.  Second because I saw that a LOT of people later chose to have a sleeve as the lap band didn't seem to do the trick.  THird and probably most important, I didn't want to go through the hassle of having "fills" on a periodic basis.  I know people that have had the band, and their results were not good.  This wasn't even a close option.

Hayley73
on 10/28/11 1:59 am
VSG on 04/17/12 with
This is the Dr I have chosen for my planned Feb surgery....so glad to read that U had an amazing experience with this particular surgeon!!! I also am quite nervous, but reading things like this help!!! Thank you so much
Alice71
on 10/29/11 9:43 am - Canada
VSG on 01/09/12
Any issues with the border? Back and forth? If you could inbox me that would be fantastic!! Only thing I am nervous about :-/
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 253 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 443 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1059 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1625 views