Dr. Ponce de Leon versus Dr. Aceves?

Sandy S.
on 7/7/12 2:36 am - Skokie, IL
I'm gathering and researching both doctors.  I would love some advice and experiences regarding both.  The main difference I've seen so far is that Dr. Ponce de Leon is about half the price ($5500 for the sleeve vs. about $11K with Dr. Aceves, as quoted to me via email).  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Jackie00
on 7/7/12 10:31 am
I honestly think the only reason Dr Ponce is known now is because of his coordinator Trish, he doesn't speak english. A year ago there might have been about five people on here that had him as a surgeon. Aceves has been well known and liked on here for a few years. I think aceves is the way to go if you are looking at other comparison then the cost just from being on these boards for over a year.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

thin_soon
on 7/10/12 5:41 pm
Dr Ponce has been around a long time but he mainly teaches.  Some of the other doctors were taught and learned by assisting him. He does not speak english but his team does.  Trish is a plus for any   doctor to have not only does she live in MX  speak english and spanish but she personally knows the doctors. Some of the other coordinators have never met the doctors.
Sandy S.
on 7/11/12 7:01 am - Skokie, IL
 Thank you!!!
Jackie00
on 7/11/12 9:45 am
Yes most of the research I did on him last year was coming up with a lapband herder, but hey not his fault it was the choice of surgeries back then.

Lots of them seem to say they trained lots of other surgeons but we don't hear about the new surgeons that are being trained.

I just really don't think there is any comparison when you are talking about one of the top surgeons in Mexico as Dr Aceves.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

rainyone
on 7/7/12 1:56 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I think that either is good. But I do think Ponce de Leon is cheaper due to him not being as well known and the english. But neither would make a big difference in the end result.  I had him and had a great experience. Trish was amazing too.

The whole experience is really amazing. I have recommended Dr ponce to a lot of people in my home town and no one has had a negative experience ( one person had issues when she used a different co ordinator other than Trish but that was more about all the details and her co ordinator didn't even show at all  - left them on their own)

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Sandy S.
on 7/7/12 4:10 pm - Skokie, IL
 Great, thank you both for the reply.  Either way, it's a great savings compared to the prices in America, but if I can save that much more, since I'm self-pay and it's still safe and effective, then I think that is the best way.  Thanks!!! 
thin_soon
on 7/10/12 5:52 pm
Hi I researched gastric sleevIe doctors for over a year.  I live in San Diego so I was able to go down and meet the doctors I was deciding on and see the hospitals they use.  I am having surgery at INT hospital with Dr. Ponce on July 23. The hospital is clean the nursing staff are courteousand there is a ICU in case something God forbid goes wrong. Angeles is my first choice but it is to expensive for me.  I feel very comfortable about my decision. Trish is great, she also helped me find a dentist.  I am paying by Cashiers check. Just be sure and research the doctors, and  find out if you recover in the hospital or go to a recovery house.  Also check out the place where your surgery is being done at  and make sure your doctor is in good standing with the hospital. Good Luck
Sandy S.
on 7/11/12 7:02 am - Skokie, IL
 Thank you!!! 
rainyone
on 7/8/12 6:49 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
And I haven't heard one negative thing about Dr Aceves as well.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 262 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 450 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1064 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1630 views