Anyone travel to Mexico and wake up with wrong surgery?

Armyguy1976
on 7/14/12 3:44 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
Afternoon all,

i'm in the process of self pay DS. i'm 110% commited to DS and DS only. Anyone have any issues having there DS surgey in Mexico? I've heard of people wanting DS and waking up with VSG?

Any help, adive or personal experence would mean the world

Cheers

kimberleyann
on 7/17/12 4:33 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
Nope I went to Mexico for a VSG and that is what I got.

rainyone
on 7/17/12 1:48 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I know when I was going to have the surgery here in Canada they made sure I knew that if they had to do RNY  for some reason instead of VSG once they opened you up... Like if the anatomy was for some reason conducive to one and not the other. It is always a possibility but not very likely.

I know when I was in Mexico with my sister there was a woman who didn't tell her surgeon that she had previous wls and they weren't able to do VSG when she first went in .  Apparenlty they opened her up the following day and were able to do RNY. I suspect it was a much older WLS before VSG, but I don't know the details.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Mary C.
on 7/25/12 12:58 am - Glovertown, Canada
 Hi there - have seen your posts on the NL, NB and Mexico boards. I can give you a little bit of input that may help. There used to be a member on the NB board - bikermom73 - that was a member of the CF posted in Gagetown. She was on the list - I think - to be done in Moncton - this was a while back - so I could be wrong. She ended up being posted out west and as far as I know had her surgery in Winnepeg late last year. I have not heard from her since her surgery. Like a lot of people - me included - once they have their surgery and are no longer "new" post ops and are doing fine and getting on with their lives - they just don't go on the message boards as much - or at all.

As far as the Canadian Forces input/opinion of her surgery - I can't comment on that.

I personally know of 5 people - three from NL and two from AB - who have gone to mexico and self payed and had their surgery done by Dr. Joya. 3 of them were RNY - the other 2 were sleeves I think. No bad experiences and no problems. 

I wanted to reply to your post because the CF are close to my heart. I was an "army brat" - my Dad was career military - started in the navy in Halifax and retired in 1988 after serving 37yrs. Ny son was in the Royal Newfoundland Regiment Army Reserves in NL, for 4 yrs until his University Program required more free time than he had - so he is now on the supplementary reserve list. I am not sure of your occupation in the CF - but I do want to mention that if you are in the position that a remote or overseas posting is possible, and something you want - I heard of one CF member years ago who was denied his posting because of the possibility of post-op complications down the road. You probably have already considered this - but I felt I should mention it just in case.

I can only advise you to keep doing what you are doing and research, research, research as much as you can before you choose your surgeon and surgery. The summer time is always quieter on the message boards as people are away, busy and just spending less time overall on their computers. Good luck to you!

Mary

Armyguy1976
on 7/25/12 2:07 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Morning Mary, 

thanks for your reply, I'm happy to report as of yesterday July 24th the CF has approved me for gastric bypass, my next step is Blue Cross selection surgeon and paying for procedure. i have my heart set on DS but all signs point to the military steering me towards RNY. I expect to be having surgery from 3-6 months from now. 

Just wanted to add i also served in 1 R NFLD R prior to joining the regular force in 2001, as for futurte deployments the military does allow you to deploy post op after a period of time your complication free, usually 6-12 months post op. That being said after deployments in Afghan and Dubai UAE and Haiti post earthquake i'm in no rush to go back overseas. In all honestly I'm hoping to move back to NL in the not to distant future :)

Mary C.
on 7/26/12 5:47 am - Glovertown, Canada
 You are most welcome for the reply. I'm not surprised the CF are nodding the head towards RNY and not the DS. Not downing the DS - but I noted your BMI to be 40 or so. That's what mine was pre-op. So I think the RNY will work well for you. Not to burst your bubble - but I experienced a post-op complication 16 months post -op - 2 months after reaching goal weight. A Petersens Hernia, requiring emergency open laparotomy after 3 weeks of being intermittently progressively sicker. Hospital stay for 8 days and g-tube for a month. Took me near 4 months before I felt strong and near back to normal. But - having said that - no regrets.  

Do you know where you may have your surgery done? So happy for you that you got approval and will get the surgery. It will be the start of a whole new life for you. It was for me. I found the main RN message board to be a great source of info and support before and after my surgery - as I was done out of province and there was no support group here.

Hope you get back to the rock some day. Any questions - anytime - feel free to ask me. And my profile is not private - if you want to go in and read my blog - feel free- I haven't updated it in too long - but for the first few years post-op there are posts there.

Take Care!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 308 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 493 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1090 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1662 views