Travelling while on the liquid diet

amjm
on 2/3/13 11:43 am

I will be having my surgery on Feb. 11 in Puerto Vallarta with Dr. Joya and I am one week into my liquid diet. I will be flying down on Sunday (the 10th) and wondered eating while travelling. How am I supposed to do the liquid diet when I cannot bring liquids to the airport? Let alone find the appropriate ones once I'm through security?

Thanks for the help, have a happy day!

llLou
on 2/4/13 5:49 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I took packets of cup a soap. I got some protein gel packs from GNC(they equal the same amount of protein as 1 chicken breast. I also took some packets of jello. They were over the liquid weight  but I explained at security I was going for surgery and they let me take it.Usually you can get yogurt on the plane. Good Luck!

amjm
on 2/4/13 5:57 am
Thanks, that's very helpful! I wondered what everyone else had done! :D
Kelly-AnneH
on 2/4/13 11:01 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm in Canada, so you'd need to call your airline to see if the rules are the same, but - I was flying home from New Brunswick 2 days ago (I'm in Alberta) and had forgotten that I had a RTD protein shake in my carryon that I'd been planning to drink before boarding the plane. The security guy scanned my bag, then said he had to check some stuff, including the can of pop in it.

He opened my bag and as he dug around for it I said,"Oh crap, that's my protein drink." He pulled it out and I added,"I've had gastric surgery and need to watch my protein." He said,"Oh, medical." and put it back. When I asked the next person about it (they also scanned my stuff for drugs - what can I say, I must look scary) she said that they wouldn't let me take a case in my carryon, but 1-2 is fine when it's for a medical issue.

You might need a note from your doctor, but I bet it'd be fine as long as you explain - call ahead and ask. If they allow larger amounts of liquids in the form of baby formula and contact lens solution like our security I bet they'll say it's fine.

Another thing - when we were travelling home from San Diego after my VSG I saw Pure Protein shakes (the 35g of protein ones) and Muscle Milk in the stores within the secure area, so that's another option. If nothing at all else appeals, go to the Starbucks and get a coffee with a protein shot. It's whey protein and should be just fine on your pre-op diet.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

amjm
on 2/4/13 12:57 pm

Thanks so much!

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/4/13 2:03 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I found this while following rabbit trails:
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/travelers-disabilities-and-medical-conditions

I hope it's helpful.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 273 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 458 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1067 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1633 views