I have a "what if question"

pattiashcraft
on 4/16/13 11:55 pm - Rosharon, TX

After the surgery in Mexico

What if I get back to Texas and get some sort of infection, or illness from the surgery?

How will insurance handle that?  Would it be considered a "pre-exsisting"

Anyone have an answer?

serenity1959
on 4/18/13 4:15 am, edited 4/18/13 4:16 am
VSG on 08/05/13

That depends on your insurance, so none of us can answer this for you.   Some companies will cover it; some will not.   You really need to contact your insurance company.   Certain things -- like gallbladder -- should be covered by all, but if you get a leak, that could be excluded, depending on how the insurance policy is written.

mamabaer
on 4/20/13 2:29 am - MO

My insurance will not cover any problems related to the weight loss surgery.  There should be a clause on wls in you booklet

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/13 2:49 am

It does not matter if you have surgery in Mexico, the US, or Africa.  If your policy excludes WLS they usually don't have to pay for complications.

Lisa2630
on 4/27/13 9:41 am

I have BCBS - there is nothing in our entire written policy re: WLS.  I had to call the 800 number, give them my employers group number and they looked it up.  I then asked them to send me the detail via US mail. ( so I had it in writing)  I also reviewed the definition of pre-existing condition.    Which in our policy is anything you've been treated for within 6 months of your enrollment date with BCBS...so I am ok.  Lined up my personal Doc to do labs and treat anything - and he was much more open and accepting - of my decision that I could ever have imagined. He is actually happy for me and very supportive.. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 310 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 495 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1094 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1667 views