What to tell customs

Shanon_4
on 6/5/13 1:12 am

I am flying from AB Canada to TJ for surgery tomorrow and I am worried about what to tell the Customs Officer. I don't want them giving me a hard time because I am having surgery elsewhere.

Any suggestions? What did you do?

llLou
on 6/5/13 5:48 am - Halifax NS, Canada

I told them the truth with no problems. One older officer was worried and told me to really think about it. I told him I researched it for 3 years and actually met the surgeon when he did a seminar here in Halifax. He was fine after that. I actually told them at security that I was having surgery because I was taking jello packets on board.

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/5/13 3:37 pm, edited 6/7/13 12:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I told the truth - I was flying to San Diego on holiday, then on to Mexicali for gastric surgery.

Quite honestly - he doesn't much care why you're traveling as long as you aren't carrying anything you aren't supposed to, like undeclared money (in any form) over $10,000, drugs, some types of fruit, plants with soil, some meats, firearms etc. We had a packed lunch with cold cuts and grapes that we had to declare, but it wasn't a problem.

On the way home I also told the truth - we'd spent a few days in San Diego on holiday, traveled into Mexicali for gastric surgery, then back to San Diego for a few more days of relaxation. There was no criticism or unwanted "advice" in either direction.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Mary C.
on 6/8/13 1:56 am - Glovertown, Canada

Just answer any questions truthfully - and you should have no issues. That's what we did. We had to overnight in Newark both on the way down and on the way back. So of course immigration in Newark had a few questions. But no problems at all. Funny story - when we finally got back to Newfoundland - going through customs in St. John's - it was around 0100 in the am - we were tired - especially hubby. We didn't bring back any alcohol or tobacco. So on the form I ticked no alcohol or tobacco. Well, we got pulled out of line and they xrayed our luggage - i have no idea why - maybe we were just the number - THEN the officer said he had to open MY suitcase to check it. I was wracking my brain trying to think of what could possibly be in there. And worried I had forgotten to declare something and then I would be fined and on and on. The hotel we stayed at in Puerto Vallarta had lovely amenities - shampoo etc - so I stuck a few in my suitcase to bring home. The officer thought on the xray - they looked like the mini alcohol bottles - like you would get on an airplane. In which case I would have been guilty of lying on my customs declaration. Funny now - but at the time - not. Anyway - all ya gotta do is be truthful and don't make small talk - just answer what they ask. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 308 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 493 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1092 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1664 views