Dr. Alejandro Lopez???

mlopez77
on 3/13/14 6:47 am
VSG on 05/16/14 with

I am interested in hearing any experiences with this surgeon. I am scheduled to have surgery on May 16th, 2014 with him and his wife, Dr. Jacqueline Osuna, in Puerto Vallarta.

Mandy

MaybeAmy
on 3/13/14 6:10 pm
VSG on 04/23/14 with

I look forward to hearing any responses as well, I'm scheduled with him for surgery in July in Tijuana. Please post back with your experience!

bigredlt
on 3/19/14 4:26 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

I posted my story in this forum, hope It helps!

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

tbone88
on 3/20/14 10:30 am - MO

Well I went to Mexico to have a gastric bypass RNY revision. My company had a WLS exclusion in their old policy so I had to pay out of pocket. So I choose Dr Lopez in Mexico because of his price (mistake). Was told he would do an RNY to RNY revision. Well he didnt all he did was go in and bypass more intestine. He didnt touch my pouch or stoma. I was only in surgery about 45 minutes. I was told by another person who was down there also. Well from the time I woke up after surgery my drain tube kept filling up with blood and running all down my side. The nurses and aides looked terrified. They didnt say anything except they would let the Dr know, but I saw the look in their eyes they were worried. Dr Lopez never came to see me to check on the bleeding. He was to busy doing other surgeries to worry about my complication. It got so bad that a Dr from another company came and looked at me. I was with alighterme. Finally after they came and checked on me they said I needed to go back into surgery. Dr lopez then sent his understudy up to check (Dr Ortiz). He left and finally when Dr Lopez had made all of his money preforming the other WLS's he had 6 others that day besides mine (assembly line) he came and said he was taking me back into surgery. Well they fixed the bleeding problem sort of I stayed in the hospital a few extra days before being sent to the Marriott to recover. At the Marriott he never came to check on me like I was told he would. I ended up staying at the Marriott for an extra 4 days because the drain still kept leaking. Once when we were all taken shopping I started to leak and it ran all down my shirt and shorts. I looked like I had a gunshot wound. Well The other Dr from the other company came to my room and checked on me and repacked my wound.

So now I have a very small digestive system. I can eat a lot of food which was the problem to begin with. And it flies right out of me withing an hour. I go to the bathroom with severe runs about 7-8 times a day. I am 44 years old and I wear Depends because I have diarreah so bad. My new insurance covers WLS so I am trying to get this fixed. My surgeon here gave me an Upper GI and and EGD he says that my pouch is severly stretched and the opening is way to big causing what I eat to just fall thru that is why I am always hungry. And that my intestines are even bypassed way to much to be healthy. So hopefully my insurance will pay for this to get fixed. At this point I dont care if I weighted 350 lbs I just want to be healthy.

That is my story. And why I wouldnt send anyone to Dr Lopez. He may be a good surgeon with the sleeve that seems to be the surgery fad now and he preforms a lot of them. But I have even spoken to another Dr in Mexico and he said that Dr Lopez does not have the experience or the skills to do a full RNY to RNY revision and that is why he just bypassed more intestine. I payed about 8500 dollars for this to be done to me. I should have waited a bit longer and payed a bit more to have a skilled experienced revision �Dr.

You know it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. Take the Lap band 10K (estimate) are put in every year. 95% of people have had great things to say about it. But that 5 percent have problems and just hate the band. I guess I fell into that 5% with Dr Lopez because most people have only good to say about him.

Well let me get off my soap box...good luck with what ever you decide

Terry

mlopez77
on 3/27/14 12:20 pm
VSG on 05/16/14 with

Terry... I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. I hope you find a surgeon that can do a proper revision. This is definitely not what I was expecting to hear (or hoping to hear). Did you talk to Dr. Lopez and see if there is anything he can do for you? I know you would not want him working on you again, but he may have a colleague that is more experienced with RNY revisions that would be willing to correct it either for free or at a reduced price. Please keep us updated on how you are doing. 

Brandee01
on 3/27/14 8:35 am

I had surgery with Dr Lopez on March 19 and was completely happy with my choice. His entire team was fabulous. I had a great experience and would be happy to answer any questions about it. 

mlopez77
on 3/27/14 12:27 pm
VSG on 05/16/14 with

Brandee,

I would love to hear your experience. What type of surgery did you have? Where was the surgery performed Tijuana, Puerto Vallarta? Were the forms they gave you at the hospital in English? Did Dr. Lopez come see you often post operatively? Did he come see you at the hotel? Did it hurt when they took the drain out? How was traveling back home after the surgery? How are you feeling? Are you hungry? Any regrets? Any suggestions or things you wish you knew before the surgery? Any advice on what to pack? I know I am full of questions. My poor coordinator... sometimes I feel like a bother to her, but she is always so sweet :)

I'm sure I'll think of more questions once I submit. Lol.

Mandy

Brandee01
on 3/28/14 2:59 am

Mandy,

I had surgery at Mi Doctor Hospital in Tijuana. I had gastric sleeve. I was visited several times by Dr Lopez's surgical associates who assisted in the surgery and took the drain out at the hotel. They were very professional and answered all my questions. The sleeve removal was not painful. It felt strange but was over very quickly. I was more comfortable after the drain was removed. I was the first procedure of the day and was in discomfort more than pain that day. I was up and walking by the afternoon which helped me feel better. The next day I felt much better. The nurses were attentive and personable. I was able to shower and wear my own comfy clothes. The hotel staff was accustomed to catering to surgical guests and provided broth, bottled water and popsicles free. Two days after surgery the driver offered a shopping tour to any surgical guests up to it. I felt fine and was able to get a few souvenirs. The trip home was long because I flew from San Diego to Virginia overnight. It was uncomfortable but not terrible. I was not hungry and was able to find juice, water, and broth at the airports or on the flight. I took a few bullion cubes with me to make broth and I used them several times. I hope this helps some!

Brandee

mlopez77
on 3/28/14 6:19 am
VSG on 05/16/14 with

You were not fully asleep for the surgery??? You said it felt strange?

Brandee01
on 3/28/14 7:50 am

I was completely asleep for the surgery. Sorry if I wasn't clear. The drain tube stays in for a few days and they remove it at the hotel before you leave. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 262 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 450 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1064 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1630 views