How to choose a surgeon? A. Ortiz, A. Lopez, or F. Garcia???

beccanderton
on 10/2/15 10:33 am

I had mine in July 23 rd!!!! Left my stomach back in TJ LOL!!! and down almost 50 lbs!!!! happier than ever!!!!

and I found you guys in FB!!! Thank you!!!!

Caligirl05
on 10/2/15 1:36 pm

Thank you for that recommendation. I will definitely check out Dr. Camelo

TerryF9
on 10/3/15 7:49 pm

Good luck on your research Cali, tell the girls at Quality Medical or Doctor Camelo hello from Terry from Temecula, California! They better remember me :-)

stacy T.
on 10/5/15 2:26 pm - San Francisco, CA

I would put Dr Pompa and Limarp on the list to consider. We have had three family members use their services and have been beyond impressed. Dr Pompa served residency time at the Mayo clinic and the hospital is ICB certified.

windyridge4mom
on 10/6/15 3:12 pm

Hi Caligirl05-

I am scheduled with Dr. Lopez for a band to DS revision on 11/2 @ VIDA. I spoke with the staff directly and they tell me that he only does 2-3 surgeries per day. He has been very easy to reach via email and a private FB page through VIDA and seems very knowledgeable. I was originally scheduled with Dr. Garcia for a sleeve, but after learning more info. decided on the DS procedure. My coordinator told me that Dr. Lopez was more skilled with the DS and, although a little more expensive, would be a better choice.

I'm still a little apprehensive of course, but so far the staff at VIDA has been very nice to work with.

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/15 3:30 am
VSG on 08/15/15 with

I traveled from CT to have my VSG with Dr Alvarez on 8/15/15. Best decision I ever made, wish I went thru with it years ago. I sing his praises to everyone..... But so does everyone else that has gone to him! Never heard, or read one negative comment about Dr A, and it really is because he is the best. No more than 3 surgeries a day, in a full hospital the entire time, and his technical staff are awesome!!!!!

And there is actual aftercare! I can talk to Dr Alvarez and his staff everyday, ask any question, call them. He continues to be there for his patients after surgery. I know he costs more, but you said cost wasn't a factor with your life (which was a big reason I chose Dr A), so travel shouldn't be that big of a factor either. He's the best :) just my honest opinion.

Caligirl05
on 10/8/15 9:39 am

Thank you all. I am taking everything you say and researching my best. Good point, Alex. I guess the travel time shouldn't be as much of a factor as I'm making it. As I wrote in the sleeve forum, I am waiting for my insurance to reply to my appeal. If that doesn't go through, I'll definitely be scheduling my surgery in Mexico. Soon I hope! The waiting game is torture! I appreciate everyone of you that has taken the time to share your experiences!

TerryF9
on 10/8/15 6:50 pm

Ugh, waiting is the worst!

Hope everything goes very well for you Caligirl.

Caligirl05
on 10/12/15 10:45 am

Thank you Terry!

lizzardfrog_79
on 10/12/15 11:49 am - Tucson, AZ
RNY on 04/29/15

Please reconsider seeing any physician at OCC. I had my lap band surgery done by Dr. Ortiz and I also had two close friends see him. 3 years after seeing him, all of us had to have or bands removed. I became very sick after my band was put in and I followed all orders to a T. I was sick for 2 years, no US Dr. would touch me because I had my surgery done in Mexico. I had to save up another $10,000 and go back to OCC and get it removed! My 2 friends ended up having to have emergency surgery in the US and have their bands removed.

P.S. Happy to say I found a Dr. here in the US, it took a long while and lots of appointments but I'm now a little over 5 months post op from Gastric Bypass and I'm down 75lbs. Good luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 333 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 514 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1109 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1689 views