my best option?

Supvwillie
on 1/6/16 9:11 pm

I am 15 years post op from an RYN gastric bypass (April 2001). I am a male, height 6'3 and at the time of my surgery I was approximately 525 pounds and 37 years old. The initial weight loss was great, and the pain of the surgery and the life style adjustment lasted a total of six months ( pain 2- 3 weeks the rest life adjustment). I went from 525lbs to 330lbs in what seemed like a blink of an eye. The automatic weight loss stopped after 18 months to 2 years after the surgery. Then my body adjusted 5 years after the surgery my weight hovered around 350-375. As of today, I am able to eat as much as I want without any gastric bypass issues. I'm no long in my 30's  I'm in my 50's and suffer from constant knee pain and borderline high blood pressure and hypertension. My present weight has remained steady over the past 3 years of a high of 330 and a low of 295 . Today, it's 305. I work out regularly and truly monitor my diet yet I remain over 300lbs. My consistent weight 3-5 years after surgery weight was was 350-375.

Within the next few months (2-3) months I am considering a cash pay revision surgery in Mexico to obtain my overall goal weight of 225lbs at 6'3. I plan to retire from my job in a month and will not be offered any medical insurance (the rage of the future for government employees).

Over the passed 10 years I have gone through numerous medical test relative to my 2001 RNY. I've had a doctor tell me he can see no restriction after numerous x-ray's and swallow tests and immediately suggest a revision sugery (that was in 2005) and another doctor who has said the test results indicate that the RYN from 2001 is working great and with diet and exercise I should be fine.

We know our bodies! The 2001 surgery, while initially effective is no longing working. I can eat anything I want, and as much I want without an issue. I've achieved my present weight only through enormous time at the gym and limited food intake, and yet I remain over 300lbs. I have maintained the vitamin regiment throughout the past 15 years and have 0 vitamin deficiencies.  

I am seeking a revision surgery that will result in a 75-100 pound weight loss.

It's time for a change!

My questions to my fellow members are as follows:

1). If I choose the Mexico cash payment surgery revision surgery, how much of a total cost am I looking at for the surgery and related medical expenses. I will handle the airfare, etc. I need an approximate price for the revision surgery and only the related medical cost. I've researched a lot, yet, real world bottom line cost seems to be lacking on the internet.

2). Recommendations on doctors versed in revision surgeries from an RYN of over 10 years

3). Any and all comments and suggestions will be welcomed.

4). Thank you all for your support and good look on your journeys.

Sandra F.
on 1/7/16 5:52 am

I had the gastric sleeve with Dr. Fernando Garcia in October 2014.  His prices are listed on his website:

http://www.tijuanabariatrics.com/cost-and-financing

I am very happy with the results but have not yet achieved my goal weight (15 lbs away), so I don't know anything about the long term effects.  If a doctor doesn't list the price on their website, by all means contact the coordinator and they will let you know.  Good luck on your goals.

TD1808
on 1/7/16 6:12 am
VSG on 01/28/16

I'm going through BeLite Weight and they have revisions. Between financing and the doctor, I am paying $8300. I actually prefer paying more because I am skeptical and nervous about paying only $2 grand or whatever ... I prefer paying a bit more to know I'm getting a good doctor and good treatment.

My doctor, Dr. Jose Rodriguez Villareal (listed on this site too), is a professional and does revision surgery. It was on my ppw as well - "if you're first time, do these things. If you're a revision, do these".  If you'd like the monies for revision specifically, i can get you in touch with my coordinator. They had all the information quickly.

ojosverdes86
on 1/7/16 1:39 pm

Hi I was reading you story and it is amazing how so much can change over time right.

I went in for a gastric sleeve about 6 weeks ago I also was a self pay patient, I also decided to go to Mexico.

I went to Tijuana and my surgery costed me 4500 dlls.

The only extra cost that I had to pay was the airfare and 50 dlls for medication.

Most packages in Mexico will tell you one price and and than tell you latter down the road that their are extra cost.

My doctor is name Serigeo Quinones he his a great person and very down to earth.

I really do not know how much it cost for a revision on a RNY but I could ask my coordinator if you are interested.

lindsayraec323
on 1/7/16 6:02 pm
VSG on 02/05/16

I'm going with Dr. Joys, and its 5700 first sleeve...everything but airfare.   I can't say how it is because I haven't done it yet.  I feel secure in my Dr, but we shall see!!  I know from this forum there are many refutable doctors there.

Supvwillie
on 1/19/16 6:35 pm

Thank you all that replied to my post. I'm presently conducting research on my options and plan to have surgery in May or June 2016.

Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 340 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 529 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1121 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1701 views