Post op question: What are you eating?

Dinka Doo
on 3/26/04 9:33 am - Medford, OR
I am curious what all of you are eating right now? I have ventured out and was brave with a few things but discovered that I have dumped on a few occasions - mainly with carbs. And I'm having a difficult time knowing when I am full until I'm feeling sick. I thought knowing when you were full was going to be much like before, but it's a totally different sensation for me. Do you all just portion out or weigh out what you will eat or do you recognize the fullness before it's too late? Dina
y0maria
on 3/26/04 11:19 am - CA
When I was where you are now I was basically following Dr. Mirande's diet plan so I was doing liquids- soups, broths, jello, Isopure, etc. I did shorten the time period for each phase so I could move into soft foods - refried beans, cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, eggs, tuna, etc.- quicker and I didn't start it until I arrived back from Ensenada. I could eat a larger amount of food after I first started surgery then I can now. Why? No idea! I also didn't experience that feeling of fullness right away. It wasn't until I started to eat things with more substance that the "feeling" made itself known. And, sometimes it is not a good feeling!!!
Dinka Doo
on 3/26/04 3:28 pm - Medford, OR
Thanks for the insight on that Mary. I get that not so good feeling sometimes and I have no idea that I've eaten too much until I start to feel sick. That's the real ****** to this so far, but definitely not enough to make me unhappy. Just that I have to learn to work around it - which I think I'm figuring out. Dina
dannern
on 3/26/04 12:05 pm - N. O., la
At 1 month post op I started having salad and meat. I had the best grilled caesar salad from McDonalds. I was able to eat the whole chicken breast about 3 oz I think and a few pieces of lettuce. That's the first time I have been able to eat more than a few bites of meat without getting a stuck feeling. Still have never vomited, though. I eat Wendy's chili, sliced deli meat, tiny bits if pork roast in gravy. I am way over that soft diet stuff. Its going to be quite some time before I ever eat soup or yogurt again I can tell you! It is hard to tell when I am full, but I get to a point where I sort of know that I don't want another bite. Sometimes I eat too fast and the food gets stuck so I definitely quit then.
Dinka Doo
on 3/26/04 3:39 pm - Medford, OR
That grilled caesar salad sounds really good to me about now! I haven't ever had the stuck feeling though and am curious how it feels for you. Is it just that you feel sick or does it really feel stuck? Someone related that it felt like chest pains to them. I have been careful to chew as good as I can and hope to hell I never have that happen. Have you ever had anything stick to the point of having to drink the meat tenderizer? I rue the day that ever happens to me. Yikes! Dina
dannern
on 3/26/04 10:09 pm - N. O., la
No, I have never had to drink meat tenderizer, but the thought has crossed my mind a time or two. I think its that the food isn't actually stuck in the stoma, but maybe isn't chewed well enough? I don't know, just know it is like sharp knives stabbing and I don't even swallow down my saliva (sorry to be so gross). Maybe its that I am too full? But I never vomit--just wish that I would. Goes away in about 30min to an hour. I am so, so, so learning to eat slower---lol.
Dinka Doo
on 3/27/04 1:45 am - Medford, OR
I get sick if I eat too much, I know that. And it takes about the same amount of time to get over it, but I don't feel stabbing. I just feel nauseous. Eating slower helps me too, but that is hard to do sometimes esp when eating something soft like cream of wheat. Dina
Megan *.
on 3/27/04 4:37 am - CA
Dina: I started out with yogurt, cottage cheese, soup, string cheese, creamed squash, jello, small bites of lunch meat, baked potato, boiled potato. A meal started at 2 oz and got to about 3 oz. So whatever I chose to combine would equal that amount. Close to a month out I had a couple bites of scrambled eggs, about 6 bites of chorizo & eggs, 1/2 a Jack in the Box taco, 3 tiny bites of bagel, 1/2 a mini quiche, 1 slice bacon, 1/2 slice toast, 1/2 of the small cup wendy's chili, couple bites of lettuce, 3 bites of tortilla, 3 crackers with tuna. Still around 3 oz. I'm just over a month out and started eating chicken. I can eat a leg and a wing. Can't eat white meat yet, its too dry. I've been able to eat about 1/4 of a small bowl of salad and a couple bites of bread. I have had the stuck feeling too usually when I don't chew tortilla well enough. I've now started counting how many times I need to chew to avoid it - around 15 to 22 chews and then I have no problem. I feel full with these amounts, it's not the same as before the surgery, I feel it closer to my heart and its sort of a tight feeling or I cough, that's how I know its time to stop.
Dinka Doo
on 3/27/04 6:26 pm - Medford, OR
Megan - If you have a Costco where you live, you might try their rotisserie chicken. It is the absolute moistest you will find, and it was heavenly for me tonight for dinner. I never like the breast but always love it with this chicken as it's so moist. Can't believe how wonderful I felt eating it! Dina
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 256 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 445 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1061 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1627 views