What's up with this stall?????

Dinka Doo
on 3/30/04 7:19 pm - Medford, OR
I need some encouragement because I just can't figure out why I am not losing more weight. It's been about a week since I've lost anything and I'm stuck at 17-17.5 lbs. I did have my period and that ended around that time, but I just don't get it. I had one day where I wanted to eat more, but the rest of the time, I'm pretty good at keeping it between 500-600 calories and it's just not happening for me. My family is watching me and wondering also why I'm not losing. I know it has to change, but it does have me worried if I'm going to be just like when I was on Atkins and a very slow loser. I'm 3 weeks out as of today (Wednesday) and figured I'd be a little farther along by now - at least for the first month! Did anyone else find they stalled in their 3rd week? How did things start moving again? The other weird thing is I figured it was a lack of BM that kept me from showing new loss, but I went today several times, and even before I ate, yet I ended up somehow weighing .5 lb more than earlier today. Am I in a parallel universe where I am supposed to gain weight? Sheesh! Dina
dannern
on 3/30/04 7:38 pm - N. O., la
Dina, I did not lose a single pound in my third week. Finally I gave up weighing myself after being disappointed on a daily basis. By the next week I lost 4 lbs so I was a little relieved. I am going to be a slow loser too it looks like, but what can I do now? Its not like I can do anything but lose s-l-o-w-l-y. I thought maybe it was because I was taking in too many calories and not exercising. I was just too fatigued, depressed and lethargic. No amount of encouragement could get me off the sofa. This last week I have felt quite a bit different. I met friends for dinner, went to a baby shower, walked on my treadmill, and even worked on my flower bed (and if you knew me you'd be shocked that it was almost April and I hadn't even planted a single petunia yet---I love spring)!!!! So hang in there. Remember how others have lost weight in spurts? Some weeks losing nothing, then all of a sudden dropping some pounds. That's how I expect it will be.
Dinka Doo
on 3/31/04 7:21 am - Medford, OR
Boy I know what you mean about the exercise. I know Dr. A. said no exercise until 4 weeks out, but I'm feeling pressure to get out and walk. I did go shopping for quite a while yesterday - might go "mall walking" here soon. But I too feel tired and lethargic. No doubt it's the calorie thing. Dina
~Jane~ *.
on 3/30/04 11:38 pm - MO
Dina, WOW!! EXACT same thing happenend to me in the 3rd week. Only difference is, I was Up & down all week by 1-2 lbs. On Mon. 3/22 I weighed 253 and then exactly 1 week later, on Mon. 3/29, I weighed 253!!! A couple things may have contributed...my period and the lack of a bm. But this morning, I weighed 250 and now, I am headed to Walmart to find a protein drink I saw someone talking about on this board! I have got to get in MORE PROTEIN!!! I am lucky to get in 40-50 grams of protein a day and that ain't cuttin' it! I read on another profile that her surgeon recommended 80-100 grams of protein! Now thats alot!! Well, hang in there, you will pick up a loss in the next day or 2...I'm sure!! Have a great day!! Jane
Dinka Doo
on 3/31/04 7:29 am - Medford, OR
Jane - I think I was the one who posted on the protein requirements. It's a formula, divide your weight by 2 and multiply by 0.6. (I think.) I found that one of those little 4.5 oz cans of chicken are 25 grams of protein and almost no fat. You might try having one of those for lunch. Only 150 calories too. I am not sure if your pouch is 4 oz also, but that is what Dr. A. said he did. Today for lunch I had 3 oz of diced roasted chicken (warmed up) and an ounce of cottage cheese mixed in. It was so tasty! I'm definitely going to try to fill up on my protein and meats now. I'm done with the soft food phase. I know I'm early, but I'm just feeling so much better eating the protein first. I think it's just going to be better for me all the way around for now. I still get tired and feel lethargic when I have the soft foods like cream of wheat. I love it, but it made me sick the last time I ate it. I think my body is telling me it's DONE with that stuff! LOL! That and I feel like since Atkins worked so well for me before but my appetite was too big, I think I'm going to do a modified version of it from here on out. I will still have more carbs than normal Atkins, but I'll also be cutting fat and counting calories. I figure once I get out of this stall it will help me tremendously. I hope! Dina
doglover
on 3/31/04 2:29 am - Glendale, Az
Hi Dina! I think everyone of us stalled the 3rd week. I was so frustrated. I was eating so little, and thought the pounds would just fall off. I expected to plateau, but not so soon! You are right on schedule! Don't get discouraged, this too shall pass!
Dinka Doo
on 3/31/04 7:30 am - Medford, OR
Thanks LeeAnn - obviously it's more common than I realized. I knew I always did this with dieting in the past, but I guess I expected this to be different. Dina
Carmella C.
on 3/31/04 7:50 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Sorry that you are going through this also. I have been wondering what I am doing wrong. Like you, I am in my third week and this scale is not moving. I started getting discouraged but then someone told me that I need to give my body and metabolism time to catch up with the changes in my body. I hope they are right!! Carmella
Dinka Doo
on 3/31/04 8:22 am - Medford, OR
Yanno what Carmella? I used to give out the same advice to anyone who would start Atkins because it was the same exact thing. I just figured the body would not be needing to get used to it this quickly with so few calories being consumed! Dina
sweetkiki
on 3/31/04 8:02 am - Miami, FL
Give it time girls. I lost 20lbs within the first three weeks and then nothing for about a week or two. Your body has to adjust and heal. I also suggest you weigh first thing in the a.m. after emptying your bladder and only once a day if not just once a week. I know it's hard, but your weight flucuates throughout the day and you usually weigh more by the end of the night because of fluids etc. Slowly is better for your skin and less shock to the system. Just stick with the basics, protein, water, water, and more water, and then if you can manage it, exercise. I have lost 70 lbs so far, and have failed in the exercise department BIG TIME!!! I was walking on the treadmill from about 6 weeks to about the 3rd month and then I crashed and burned!!! Have I gotten my butt in gear yet, nope!! But then again eventually I will. I can't complain as I am considered a 'lightweight' since I was just about 100 lbs overweight. I would like to lose 30 more, but I'm giving myself at least another 6 months to a year to do it. I'm just happy to be under 200. IT WILL GET BETTER!!!!!!!!!! Kiki ;)~
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 253 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 443 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1059 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1625 views